Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   How do I open my trunk? No power. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401683)

alex 540i 09-29-2009 02:14 PM

How do I open my trunk? No power.
 
So I took out my DME to send out to powerchip and locked the trunk with the negative cable unplugged, now I can't open it to connect the cable, the DME is not back yet but I don't think it will open even if it's connected... So, how do I open it? Key doesn't open it either... :dunno:

MatWiz 09-29-2009 02:17 PM

Put the key in, turn it until it stops, and then continue to turn about 1/5 of a turn. It has some resistance, so you think you can't.

The key will be parallel to the ground, just like when you lock the trunk, but to the other side.
mw

cn90 09-29-2009 02:42 PM

Read the owners' manual.

Darkflame808 09-29-2009 02:45 PM

Whenever a remote doesn't unlock doors or trunks on a car I always suggest using the key. I know it's kinda caveman tactics to use keys on cars with remotes but sometimes you gotta go back to the basics when technology fails.

cn90 09-29-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame808 (Post 4559614)
Whenever a remote doesn't unlock doors or trunks on a car I always suggest using the key. I know it's kinda caveman tactics to use keys on cars with remotes but sometimes you gotta go back to the basics when technology fails.

Yep,

When all else fails, ride a bicycle LOL.... (nothing to worry about, key, battery, belts, alternator, cooling system, LCM, struts, shocks, oil, clutch, insurance etc.)

anton-sa 09-29-2009 03:07 PM

heres wot i did
 
here is what i did ;)

i disconnected the battery as i was working on the car doors (which has airbags)
i then by accident closed the boot and for some reason i coudlnt open it with the key.

what i did was

1) took back seat out (yes the other doors were open)
2) made small slit with utility knife in fat red power cable...
2) connected this to another car battery,
3) used door catch as ground...

4) pressed remote to open boot.

problem solved

bmw_n00b13 09-29-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn90 (Post 4559606)
Read the owners' manual.

Exactly. Turning the key 45 will activate the electrical unlocking, fully 90 will unlock it. If it doesn't work one way, try the other way. You'll need a real key, not a valet key. Again, the owner's manual will be able to tell you which key you have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anton-sa (Post 4559679)
here is what i did ;)

i disconnected the battery as i was working on the car doors (which has airbags)
i then by accident closed the boot and for some reason i coudlnt open it with the key.

what i did was

1) took back seat out (yes the other doors were open)
2) made small slit with utility knife in fat red power cable...
2) connected this to another car battery,
3) used door catch as ground...

4) pressed remote to open boot.

problem solved

You can not be serious.:ouch:

02 330Ci 09-29-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anton-sa (Post 4559679)
here is what i did ;)

i disconnected the battery as i was working on the car doors (which has airbags)
i then by accident closed the boot and for some reason i coudlnt open it with the key.

what i did was

1) took back seat out (yes the other doors were open)
2) made small slit with utility knife in fat red power cable...
2) connected this to another car battery,
3) used door catch as ground...

4) pressed remote to open boot.

problem solved

There is a jump point under the hood, you could connect a quick jumper to which will give you power to the car. locks and remote will work.

CoreyMNK 09-29-2009 03:37 PM

Just stick the key in the keyhole in the trunk and turn... Anton, you gotta be kidding!

djfitter 09-29-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02 330Ci (Post 4559764)
There is a jump point under the hood, you could connect a quick jumper to which will give you power to the car. locks and remote will work.

I don't think so if the Negative cable is not hooked up to the battery. :dunno:

dj

QSilver7 09-29-2009 03:48 PM

Instructions from the owners manual that's been posted many times on how to unlock the car when there's an electrical failure:

1. As others have previously mentioned...the door & trunk lock cylinders were designed to be opened manually by inserting the key and turning it COUNTER CLOCKWISE (to the left)...PAST the normal position that electrically unlocks the door or trunk.

2. You can use the jump start locations under the hood (if the doors aren't locked) to open the trunk...ONLY...if you have the trunk lock in the unsecured vertical position ( | )....if the trunk lock is turned to the SECURED horizontal ( -- )...then you're stuck because only another MASTER key will be able to unlock the trunk (that's any of the keys you have that don't have the GRAY head...that's the valet/service key which doesn't unlock the trunk or glovebox). The trunk release button and the central lock/unlock button will not open the trunk if it is in the secured position.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q..._door_lock.jpghttp://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...0E38%20E39.jpg


http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...trunk_lock.jpghttp://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...0e38%20e39.jpg

QSilver7 09-29-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfitter (Post 4559802)
I don't think so if the Negative cable is not hooked up to the battery. :dunno:

dj

If you supply power (12v) to the pos & neg jump start locations under the hood...you can remove the battery entirely from the car and use any of the electrical components.

Even if you supply 9volts to the cig lighter...you can undo the battery and not loose any of your car's setting. :)

djfitter 09-29-2009 04:08 PM

Good to know. :)

dj

MatWiz 09-29-2009 05:10 PM

We need more opinions.

mw

Darkflame808 09-30-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfitter (Post 4559802)
I don't think so if the Negative cable is not hooked up to the battery. :dunno:

dj

Even if the negative cable was disconnected, the whole frame of the car is a common ground point. Just clamp the red jumper cable to the + port on the engine bay and clamp your negative to any part of the frame and call it a day.

I hope the OP wasn't serious about slicing the cable...That was more caveman then my suggestion of just using the key. LOL

returnofmike 10-01-2009 12:31 PM

ahaha this is seriously hilarious! just put the key in the lock of the trunk and turn it to the left, it opens. . . with a key as well. . thats what there for!

Josh P. 10-01-2009 12:39 PM

Easy:
1) Smash small rear triangle window on passenger side
2)Realize that you are too big to fit
3)Smash regular rear side window on passenger side
4)Realize that though you can fit now, the trunk release button is on driver side
5)Smash driver side rear window
6)Realize you cannot reach the front seat from the back seat
7)Smash driver side window
8)Reach down and press release button
9)Realize button is electrical and does not work
10) Smash passenger side window
11)Crawl through and open glove box
12) RTFM;)

QSilver7 10-01-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by returnofmike (Post 4565586)
...just put the key in the lock of the trunk and turn it to the left, it opens. . .


{Don't think of this reply as picking on you...it definitely is not...but I find it a good example to bring up a point.}


I think many people really do try to turn the key to what they "think" is the left...and fail so they give up.

The problem is...their perspective of the LEFT may be the cause of the failure. Without any context and a different perspective...they may have a point of reference that the 6:oo position is the starting point...so if they turn the key to the left...they are actually turning the lock cylinder CLOCKWISE (which is in the wrong direction).

That's why I try to insert that the lock cylinder should be turned COUNTER CLOCKWISE...which means that the point of view is turning the key left from the 12:oo position. :D

chivas 10-01-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver7 (Post 4559818)
If you supply power (12v) to the pos & neg jump start locations under the hood...you can remove the battery entirely from the car and use any of the electrical components.

Even if you supply 9volts to the cig lighter...you can undo the battery and not loose any of your car's setting. :)

i unlocked a mercedes this way, sort of. my landlord's e320 (really a POS car made by MB ever... even beats out the 2.3 190E's) had a dead battery and the driver's key lock was broken. the only lock working was the trunk and no fold down seats (where the battery is located). i rigged a jump box to the... trunk light and "charged" the battery for 15 minutes, just enough to get the pump to unlock the doors. yeah, charging the battery through a known circuit directly linked to the battery helps.

but in this guy's case, he would really need to use the one under the hood.

ProRail 10-01-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver7 (Post 4565629)

{Don't think of this reply as picking on you...it definitely is not...but I find it a good example to bring up a point.}


I think many people really do try to turn the key to what they "think" is the left...and fail so they give up.

The problem is...their perspective of the LEFT may be the cause of the failure. Without any context and a different perspective...they may have a point of reference that the 6:oo position is the starting point...so if they turn the key to the left...they are actually turning the lock cylinder CLOCKWISE (which is in the wrong direction).

That's why I try to insert that the lock cylinder should be turned COUNTER CLOCKWISE...which means that the point of view is turning the key left from the 12:oo position. :D

So you're saying that if they are lying on the trunk lid looking at the ground they should turn it to the RIGHT. Thanks. That clears it up nicely.

chucksrt 10-01-2009 09:07 PM

This thread is funny because I ran into the same problem and had to just keep playing with things until I turned the key past the point I thought it should stop and it unlocked the trunk.

chiefwej 10-01-2009 09:55 PM

I lube and exercise the manual lock/unlock on the doors and trunk each time I change the oil. The manual feature is so seldom used that it may become very stiff when you need it.

bowtie 10-01-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefwej (Post 4567251)
The manual feature is so seldom used that it may become very stiff when you need it.

That's what she said...

MatWiz 10-01-2009 11:47 PM

2 more posts and we are on page 2! :thumbup:

mw

2k528i 10-02-2009 06:10 AM

I can't believe there are 20 something posts about unlocking the trunk...LOLOLOLOL


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms