Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Can I replace just the shift knob pattern insert? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40225)

Ben Carufel 09-09-2003 04:52 PM

Can I replace just the shift knob pattern insert?

Looks like the laminating/backing of the the pattern insert on my shift knob is separating from the plastic...

Can I replace just this piece? If so, where can I get it?

Thanks guys!

AndyM 09-09-2003 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Carufel
Looks like the laminating/backing of the the pattern insert on my shift knob is separating from the plastic...

Can I replace just this piece? If so, where can I get it?

Thanks guys!

You can buy them from BMW for like $7.00. Keep in mind that the standard M 5-Speed pattern will not come with silver backing, the patern itself and the M will be clear. I use Pimp-Daddy silver tint on the back of the ones I use in our knobs.

Ben Carufel 09-09-2003 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyM
You can buy them from BMW for like $7.00. Keep in mind that the standard M 5-Speed pattern will not come with silver backing, the patern itself and the M will be clear. I use Pimp-Daddy silver tint on the back of the ones I use in our knobs.

Huh? I'm confused...my knob's insert has a black background...

AndyM 09-09-2003 07:23 PM

Quote:

Huh? I'm confused...my knob's insert has a black background...

Right, and the lettering is silver. If you buy just an insert from BMW (the 5 speed M insert), the lettering is clear, not silver.

Ben Carufel 09-09-2003 09:31 PM

Hmm. So the lighted knobs light THROUGH the silver? That's how they come from the factory, but the replacements aren't like that?

Am I understanding right? :D

AndyM 09-09-2003 09:36 PM

Quote:

Hmm. So the lighted knobs light THROUGH the silver? That's how they come from the factory, but the replacements aren't like that?

Am I understanding right? :D

Correct.

Ben Carufel 09-09-2003 10:33 PM

Quote:

Correct.

Thanks Andy. Check your PM's and tack one on to my order there...

Do they come with adhesive backing already?

z3scot 09-10-2003 12:22 AM

Quote:

Andy, I have a stock lighted knob on my M roadster that lights red. Can I replace the red light with one of your amber lights? How do you access the the light anyway?

Scott

Randy Forbes 09-10-2003 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3scot
Andy, I have a stock lighted knob on my M roadster that lights red. Can I replace the red light with one of your amber lights? How do you access the the light anyway?

Scott

Ouch! Sore subject.

I think it would be easier to supercharge your S-54 than to change the l.e.d. in the shift knob. I know for a fact that I could install a short shift lever in your car in less time;)

dwaynemosley 09-10-2003 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
Ouch! Sore subject.

I think it would be easier to supercharge your S-54 than to change the l.e.d. in the shift knob. I know for a fact that I could install a short shift lever in your car in less time;)

I took my knob apart one time because it was lighting intermittently and all of the other wiring checked out. I resoldered all of the connections around the circuit board. I fixed it, but it was a tenuous process getting it apart and back together. I learned later that the lettering and/or coloring on the insert will just "rub off". It all stuck back together without my having to reinvent the adhesive, which I felt fortunate about. I got lucky, it works, I'm not messing with it again unless it's dead.

Dwayne

AndyM 09-10-2003 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
I think it would be easier to supercharge your S-54 than to change the l.e.d. in the shift knob.

You are right. We did an LED swap on one leather shift knob and I will never do one again. It was going to go in JonM's car but I got too pissed off making it. The shift knob was thrown against a wall and destroyed.

AndyM 09-10-2003 07:57 AM

Quote:

Do they come with adhesive backing already?

No backing. I use an adhesive, no tape.

z3scot 09-11-2003 01:20 AM

Quote:

You are right. We did an LED swap on one leather shift knob and I will never do one again. It was going to go in JonM's car but I got too pissed off making it. The shift knob was thrown against a wall and destroyed.

Thats too bad it so difficult to do, the red color kinda sucks, IMHO. Oh well guess I should just do the short shifter or the S/C and forget about it. (unfortunatly, the color will just bug me silly):banghead:

Oh well...

Scott

JonM 09-11-2003 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3scot
Thats too bad it so difficult to do, the red color kinda sucks, IMHO. Oh well guess I should just do the short shifter or the S/C and forget about it. (unfortunatly, the color will just bug me silly):banghead:

Oh well...

Scott

Cheaper and easier to just replace your stock knob with one of our chrome/leather ones. They light up amber. They are heavier than the leather knob too. Andy may have a few leftovers in stock that he can deal on. Phone him and find out if you're interested.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/art/hcknobs3.jpg