Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW News Articles and Announcements (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   I saw these, Look like X5's (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402780)

AdamNCNN 10-04-2009 05:49 AM

I saw these, Look like X5's

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the shoddy pics, all I had was my phone....

They appear to have similar body lines to the current production, but with round tail lights and a little different front. But most importantly, I dig the camo.

hmr 10-04-2009 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think that's the new X1. Looks like you caught in the US for the first time for whatever testing/whatnot they're doing. Good catch.

tturedraider 10-04-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmr (Post 4572893)
I think that's the new X1. Looks like you caught in the US for the first time for whatever testing/whatnot they're doing. Good catch.

Based on the OP's location in South Carolina I'd say those are probably the new X3. Its proportions have grown since the X1 is on the horizon. BMW is pushing production of the new X3 up by a year to this coming spring to compete with the new Merc GLK and Audi Q5.

The X1 isn't being camo'd anymore. It is about to start production for Europe this year, even though we won't get it until next year.

btw - the round tail lights are part of the camo.

hmr 10-04-2009 06:04 PM

I suppose you may be right, tturedraider. If that's the new X3, it will look very similar to the X1, or so it would appear (comparing the X1 picture to OP's #4).

BIMMERUSAM5 10-05-2009 07:45 AM

I agree with tturedraider.

It looks like the new X3.

ND40oz 10-06-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 4573221)
Based on the OP's location in South Carolina I'd say those are probably the new X3. Its proportions have grown since the X1 is on the horizon. BMW is pushing production of the new X3 up by a year to this coming spring to compete with the new Merc GLK and Audi Q5.

The X1 isn't being camo'd anymore. It is about to start production for Europe this year, even though we won't get it until next year.

btw - the round tail lights are part of the camo.

Pretty sure the X1 is in production, if not it has to be close. They had 3 or 4 of them out on display in Welt when I was there on the 3rd. 1 sDrive and the rest were xDrives. They also had an X5 M on display.

Jason @ BMS 10-12-2009 10:13 AM

I love the camo wrap on those. That was very cool that you had your camera.

Bigbadbull 10-14-2009 10:34 AM

X3's... As was stated already , Bmw is in a Rush to move the production up to compeat with Audi,Volvo,MB, and Acura , and they have transferd the production from Austria ( Styer Magna) to the SC facility.

I was a bit shocked to see the X1 being built outside the USA, since BMW is trying to build all the SUV/SAV's in one plant.

AdamNCNN 10-14-2009 10:51 AM

I just thought they were neat with the camo ;) I do wonder why they would camo a X3 though. And the rear body lines don't match anything I have seen from BMW before. The round rear gate makes it look like this one: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n.../photo_02.html

mapezzul 10-15-2009 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbadbull (Post 4599125)
X3's... As was stated already , Bmw is in a Rush to move the production up to compeat with Audi,Volvo,MB, and Acura , and they have transferd the production from Austria ( Styer Magna) to the SC facility.

I was a bit shocked to see the X1 being built outside the USA, since BMW is trying to build all the SUV/SAV's in one plant.

The X1 is really a version of the current 3 Series and was the replacement of the outgoing X3 on some levels- the current X3 is based on the E46 3 Series and is on a dated platform which has cost BMW sales and the ability to update it effectively. They did not want to have the same issue arise at the end of the next X3 so they opted to base it on the future 3 Series platform, the X3 will usher in the next generation platform. While the X1 will be cheaper to produce and remain an entry level vehicle; the systems are already in place and have been designed so it was just packaging them in a vehicle the new X3 is all new.

I hope that makes sense... also the X1 is really designed as an EU product with the size and options so it make sense to build it there.

-M