Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Comfort Access with multiple keys? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403367)

fernande-bmw 10-06-2009 12:17 PM

Comfort Access with multiple keys?

This is not a question about the virtues of Comfort Access. It is more about a specific behavior with multiple keys present. I did a search a was unable to find a response to my specific query.

Suppose two keys are detected near the car (my wife and I are carrying our keys). What key takes precedence (for the stored settings) when the door is unlocked? The closest key to the handle?

And once inside the car the computer detects two keys. Will it keep moving the seats back and forth and changing all the settings? Or, will it keep the settings of the key that unlocked the car?

Thanks!

KHarney 10-06-2009 12:26 PM

I would assume that it would take the key and the settings closest to the driver's door. CA can detect where you are around the car so although I do not know for sure I would assume that is how it works.

johntchow 10-06-2009 12:27 PM

for us, its both. if im the passsenger an i open the passenger door i see the driver side move back, but when she opens the driver door it moves back into her position

cwinter 10-06-2009 12:28 PM

Never tried and and no idea, but here is my guess, coming from a wireless engineer (no real RFID experience though). :)

In mobile telephony, a phone, upon start up, will go through a pre-defined list of systems it considers "home" and the first one it comes across, it will latch onto, regardless of whether it is the best to use. I'd venture to say CA does the same.

Hence, the car scans for approaching keys, and I am guessing that the first one that successfully authenticates with the car will be the one it uses for the duration of the drive (until the car is locked again and it all starts at square 1 again).

Thunder Dump 10-06-2009 01:24 PM

Yes, I believe the first one it 'sees' is the one it stays with, regardless of how many other keys are present. Now a second key opening the driver's door (like johntchow stated) may temporarily override it. I know this weekend the wife and I were on vacation together and we each had our keys. I did all of the driving/locking/unlocking and it never went to her settings once.

KHarney 10-06-2009 02:28 PM

I still think it sense the first one but if another gets to the drivers door it will pick that one. It knows where the keys are around the car.

The HACK 10-06-2009 03:36 PM

It'll take the setting of which ever key is used to open the driver's side door (if that's how the car's program is set up).

So say my wife and I approach the car, she's the driver, I'm the passenger. I open the passenger door, then she opens the driver's door. The seats will return to HER setting according to the car's car & key program setting (seats will return to previously remembered setting when driver's door opened). Another scenario, is when my wife's getting into the backseat of the coupe for whatever reason, she opens the door, seats return to her previous setting, I would close the door and then re-open it and it'll return to MY setting since my key is closer to the door handle/receiver.

Frankg11 11-13-2012 05:14 PM

i just went though this as well. My wife's key was the first one closest to the car. When I got in the car on the drivers side it still recognized her key. I had to plug mine into the key slot to get it to my preferences. Additionally, I wanted to charge her key and stuck it into the key slot after the car was started and it took her preferences. I think that that key closest to the Key slot is the primary. So I just stuck mine back into to slot. All good after that.

Just my experience.

gpburdell 11-13-2012 06:24 PM

Frankg11: I didn't think comfort access keys were chargeable, which is why they have a removable battery.

Frankg11 11-13-2012 07:13 PM

Mine are in my 2010 X5. I get the low battery warning and need to charge it up. Also 2012 335is does the same thing. A good hour in the slot and the keys are good for a month or more. There isn't even a door on the keys to open to replace a battery.

I may have mistaken comfort access option but that is the one where you don't have to put the key in and you can lock the door by pressing on the handle correct?

Sportsdad 11-13-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernande-bmw (Post 4578657)
This is not a question about the virtues of Comfort Access. It is more about a specific behavior with multiple keys present. I did a search a was unable to find a response to my specific query.

Suppose two keys are detected near the car (my wife and I are carrying our keys). What key takes precedence (for the stored settings) when the door is unlocked? The closest key to the handle?

And once inside the car the computer detects two keys. Will it keep moving the seats back and forth and changing all the settings? Or, will it keep the settings of the key that unlocked the car?

Thanks!

BMW has ingeneared ('engineered' for you nerds out there) a unique feature that detects who earns more money on an annual basis.

Needless to say, my wife's key is always the first. :bawling:

MykolG 11-13-2012 08:11 PM

I have to laugh here. Not at you folks but a couple things happened with my car. [It's a 2009 328i wagon] I have 2 sets of keys that I use. One is my regular key and the other has my gym ID tag on it. I set the seats to my liking with the regular key and all was fine. That is until I was going to the gym. As I walked up to the car the seats and mirrors all changed for a short person. [previous owner] I'm 6'2". It was then I spoke with the local dealer and they told me of the seats adjusting for the key. The other thing is when I wash the car; whenever the water spray hits either of the front door handles, it cycles the lock/unlock sequence. I've only had this car for a little less than 2 months. I'm learning new things about it all the time.

gpburdell 11-14-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankg11 (Post 7193434)
Mine are in my 2010 X5. I get the low battery warning and need to charge it up. Also 2012 335is does the same thing. A good hour in the slot and the keys are good for a month or more. There isn't even a door on the keys to open to replace a battery.

They must have changed them on more recent models. My 2010 335i keys have a battery compartment and don't ever need to go in the key slot.