Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   2010 X5 35d Sport Activity Package (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407080)

SanDiegoShaun 10-22-2009 04:50 PM

2010 X5 35d Sport Activity Package

So the big question for me, is the 2010 Sport Activity Package worth it? Please chime in.

SanDiegoShaun 10-22-2009 05:04 PM

Here is what I have so far. I had the Sport but thinking its not worth the extra couple grand. I was really going to get it for the Sports Seats over the Standard Seats but I added Multi Contour seats.

Titanium Silver Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
456 Multi-contour seats
494 Heated front seats
4AZ Dark Bamboo wood trim
655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription

cablue 10-22-2009 05:18 PM

I also passed on the adaptive drive, which is what I would have cared about. I ordered the multi-contour seats and heated seats, also. Personally, I'm thinking I'm just not going to drive the X5 like I did my car with sport. If money is no object, then, yes, it would be nice to have. I would recommend the ipod adapter if you're into that. I loved having that in my car.

SanDiegoShaun 10-22-2009 05:30 PM

For sure no for me on the adaptive drive which is no longer part of the Sports Activity Package. I was just trying to decide if the Sports Activity Package on its own was worth it, as its mostly just minor cosmetic differences.

jaaX3 10-22-2009 07:44 PM

For me it was worth it. I love the sport seats, I like the steering wheel better, I like the rims more (and they're bigger), and I like the look of the dark headliner. The shadowline trim was a plus.

whipsawmike 10-23-2009 06:23 AM

I didn't get the sports activity package because of the 19 inch wheels. I had 20 inch wheels on my 2002 x5 4.6, useless in the snow, and I assume the 19 inch wouldn't be much better. Love the other cosmetics though, tough decision. The adaptive drive, I was told, was best for offroading, which I don't do that much, and my sales person says it had a lot of problems.

SanDiegoShaun 10-23-2009 03:09 PM

Who else has an opinion? How did you order your 2010 X5?

Penguin 10-23-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun (Post 4624643)

Well, it might be easiest to first list the options I didn't take, and why it didn't make sense for me:

Cold Weather package: I really did want the heated steering wheel, but I have no use for heated rear seats, and I have heard some people complain about the headlight washers needlessly messing up their hood with the spray. So I ordered just the heated front seats instead of the cold weather package.

Adaptive Drive: I would like to have this, but (a) $3,000+ takes the cost/benefit ratio out of my range, and (b) I keep my vehicles a long time, and the adaptive suspension is likely to have more problems, be very expensive to fix, and preclude the usage of non-BMW shocks down the road.

3rd row seat: No use for this, although if they offered the self-leveling rear suspension as an individual option, I might have considered that.

Premium Sound: I would have liked to get this, but again BMW bumped the price an extra $500+ by insisting a CD changer be included in the package. If Premium sound was available as an individual option around $1,000, I would have probably gotten it. But at $1,700, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Rear Climate package: Not having many passengers ever back there, no reason to get it.

Comfort access: A cool and convenient feature, but not worth it to me, considering the addition of one more thing that could go wrong with the locking and starting of the vehicle.

Then a couple of key options (to me):

Comfort seats: Quite expensive, but considering the time I will spend in them on trips, it seemed worth it to me. An old guy once gave me a piece of advice... "You spend most of your life either in bed or wearing shoes, so don't skimp on either of those." I guess you could add vehicles seats to those two and cover a good percentage of your lifetime!

Tech package: I debated about this as the nav is terribly overpriced, but (a) a Nav system integrated with the audio system, which you don't have to pack away every time you stop and leave the car, and which will automatically override the radio/music when it announces upcoming turns, is a real convenience, and (b) without the tech package, you get a smaller i-drive screen. Throw-in the other goodies like the top view camera, voice control, etc. and it seemed to make sense.

Now, I know that I have contradicted myself in (a) saying I don't want some stuff because of additional complexity, meaning more potential problems and repair costs down the road, and then (b) adding stuff like the technology package. I plead guilty; however, it again is a persona trade-off of the value you see in what something does, and the added cost and potential for problems down the road due to the added complexity.

Anyway, FWIW, that how I ended-up with my particular option mix.

SanDiegoShaun 10-23-2009 05:31 PM

Good post :)

ard 10-23-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 4624733)
Well, it might be easiest to first list the options I didn't take, and why it didn't make sense for me:

Cold Weather package: I really did want the heated steering wheel, but I have no use for heated rear seats, and I have heard some people complain about the headlight washers needlessly messing up their hood with the spray. So I ordered just the heated front seats instead of the cold weather package.

Adaptive Drive: I would like to have this, but (a) $3,000+ takes the cost/benefit ratio out of my range, and (b) I keep my vehicles a long time, and the adaptive suspension is likely to have more problems, be very expensive to fix, and preclude the usage of non-BMW shocks down the road.

3rd row seat: No use for this, although if they offered the self-leveling rear suspension as an individual option, I might have considered that.

Premium Sound: I would have liked to get this, but again BMW bumped the price an extra $500+ by insisting a CD changer be included in the package. If Premium sound was available as an individual option around $1,000, I would have probably gotten it. But at $1,700, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Rear Climate package: Not having many passengers ever back there, no reason to get it.

Comfort access: A cool and convenient feature, but not worth it to me, considering the addition of one more thing that could go wrong with the locking and starting of the vehicle.

Then a couple of key options (to me):

Comfort seats: Quite expensive, but considering the time I will spend in them on trips, it seemed worth it to me. An old guy once gave me a piece of advice... "You spend most of your life either in bed or wearing shoes, so don't skimp on either of those." I guess you could add vehicles seats to those two and cover a good percentage of your lifetime!

Tech package: I debated about this as the nav is terribly overpriced, but (a) a Nav system integrated with the audio system, which you don't have to pack away every time you stop and leave the car, and which will automatically override the radio/music when it announces upcoming turns, is a real convenience, and (b) without the tech package, you get a smaller i-drive screen. Throw-in the other goodies like the top view camera, voice control, etc. and it seemed to make sense.

Now, I know that I have contradicted myself in (a) saying I don't want some stuff because of additional complexity, meaning more potential problems and repair costs down the road, and then (b) adding stuff like the technology package. I plead guilty; however, it again is a persona trade-off of the value you see in what something does, and the added cost and potential for problems down the road due to the added complexity.

Anyway, FWIW, that how I ended-up with my particular option mix.

Interesting.

I suppose it all boils down to "gotta draw a line somewhere!" :)

Re: Keeping cars a long time... just replaced the transmission- original- in my MDX this past week, and literally doing the valve adjustment tonight... 205,000 miles. It's gonna be the kids car now.

Back to the garage!

A

Penguin 10-23-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 4625093)
I suppose it all boils down to "gotta draw a line somewhere!" :)A

Yeah, that's probably a more concise way to state it!

Emerson11 10-24-2009 05:17 AM

If I could afford only one option, I'd get the Adaptive Drive. After driving the X5 with and and without, it became a must have.

SanDiegoShaun 10-24-2009 08:56 AM

Did I mention this X5 is for my wife :) I have a 335I for me.

Emerson11 10-24-2009 10:52 AM

Lucky you. In my house, I have to drive the practical vehicle.

SanDiegoShaun 10-24-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerson11 (Post 4626185)
Lucky you. In my house, I have to drive the practical vehicle.

I'm sure ill be in the same boat soon, the 335I lease is up soon.

jaaX3 10-24-2009 07:00 PM

Penguin, great response. Now what about your take on the activity package (you know, the topic of the thread)? :D

SanDiegoShaun 10-24-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaaX3 (Post 4626950)
Penguin, great response. Now what about your take on the activity package (you know, the topic of the thread)? :D

True would be nice to get feedback on the original topic.

Emerson11 10-25-2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun (Post 4624643)

35d
vermillion red
adaptive drive
space saver
running boards
roof rails
multi-contour seats
bamboo
head-up display
satelite
ipod & USB
smartphone
sport activity
cold weather
premium pkg
rear climate
technology

After reading recent posts, I regret ordering smartphone.

Penguin 10-25-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaaX3 (Post 4626950)

As quoted in my message, I was responding to SanDiegoShaun's follow-up question of "How did you order your 2010 X5?"

But, as for the Sports Activity Package, it offered little positive, and some negative, to me, so I didn't get it.

(a) I prefer 18 inch wheels to 19 inch.

(b) Since I am getting Comfort Seats, paying for the the Sport Seats option is just wasted money.

(c) I personally abhor the looks off the Anthracite headliner, as I think it looks out of place. (Others love it, it's a matter of personal taste).

I wouldn't mind the shawdowline external trim, but $2,000+ seems a lot to pay.