Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classic Bimmers (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Finding value of 1980 BMW 728i (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418167)

jmo166 12-10-2009 06:48 AM

Finding value of 1980 BMW 728i

I'm new to this scene. But want to learn. My wife's uncle has a 1980 BMW 728i that he would like me to purchase. It's been in storage for the past 15 years. The only thing is, I can't find a value reference. Everything in the car is in German. This car model, as far as I can find, was not offered in the states in 1980. He told me that the last time he registered the car he was told it was 1 of about 4 in the states. It needs work. No, it needs restoratation. There's no rust, but there are tears in the seats, the power steering pump needs replacing, (which I assume won't be easy to find) and I'm curious as to the collectability of this car if I buy it and restore it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 Brit 12-10-2009 09:46 AM

you will not get your money out of it
7 series in general have terrible resale value, and if it is in need of a ground up resto then you are going to be doing it as a labor of love not with hope of getting any sort of return.
if it runs it is probably worth 2k at best

DrCharles 12-23-2009 11:54 AM

True, you will never make money fixing up a car and selling it, but that doesn't sound like what the original poster intended anyway. I bought my '81 745i in '91 for $2600 and probably invested $8000 or more in repairs/modifications/improvements, and now it needs rust repair and paint. :confused:

Still, if you average that amount as a monthly payment over the 19 years I've owned it, it's pretty cheap! :thumbup:

The Euro E23's are looking "dated" these days, but are comfortable, roomy sedans and there are plenty of parts available, just not at the local AutoZone. The 728i suffers from a relative lack of power (it's a destroked big-six, not a baby-six), something like 157 hp, but with the proportional increased fuel economy.

Make sure you get the EPA/DOT paperwork with the car. Copies should be obtainable from the EPA and the DOT but this many years after the fact, the files may have been destroyed.

Many Euro models were ordered without air conditioning and the early 80's E23 a/c was nothing to write home about anyhow... if you live in a humid Southern state this can be a problem.

I agree, no real way to value it... since it's not even running, but rust-free, I might guess $1000 maximum.

-Charles
'81 745i
'97 540i

SARAFIL 12-23-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmo166 (Post 4752880)
I'm new to this scene. But want to learn. My wife's uncle has a 1980 BMW 728i that he would like me to purchase. It's been in storage for the past 15 years. The only thing is, I can't find a value reference. Everything in the car is in German. This car model, as far as I can find, was not offered in the states in 1980. He told me that the last time he registered the car he was told it was 1 of about 4 in the states. It needs work. No, it needs restoratation. There's no rust, but there are tears in the seats, the power steering pump needs replacing, (which I assume won't be easy to find) and I'm curious as to the collectability of this car if I buy it and restore it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Everyone else here is on the money, this is not really a collectible and is probably worth a few hundred dollars as is-- basically scrap value for the metal.

You will spend several times as much restoring this car as you would get back selling it. So, if you like the car and want a project you can probably go ahead with it, but if you are thinking about it as an investment you might want to move on to something else.