Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Help!! Change brake light bulb on 2005 X5 4.4i (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419404)

Camiam 12-15-2009 07:25 PM

Help!! Change brake light bulb on 2005 X5 4.4i

Can someone please help me with some step by step instructions ( and if possible some pictures ) on how to change brake light bulb. Dealers want 200+ dollars to change a 5 dollar bulb.

Best Regards

someplaceelse 12-16-2009 08:42 PM

I noticed no one had replied - I have a 2002 but if they're the same it's about easy as can be. Mine just has bulbs plugged into a plastic housing that you can get to by removing the rear access panel(s) inside the car.. It may be a totally different set up for a 2005 but it still should be pretty easy.

It's the front turn signal bulbs that give me grief. Doable, just a pain in the arse.

AlsX5 12-17-2009 12:07 AM

I also have '05 4.4. It's very easy to change the bulb. Just open the side cargo panel right or left. You'll see the bulbs attached to "white" bulb housing. There's three but the brake light is the middle one. Reach in with your hand, grab the white housing and give it a quarter turn counterclockwise and the housing will come loose. There are no wires attached so replace a new bulb into the white housing and place it back into the slot with a quarter turn clockwise until it's tight. ridiculous that the dealer will charge for this. it should be free.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...leedds/002.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...leedds/003.jpg

Camiam 12-18-2009 05:21 AM

Help on Brake lights

Thx so much guys. I will try it today. Appreciate your help in this matter

Marshotel 12-18-2009 06:17 AM

The dealer reall rips you off for some things. I had to change a rear turn signal bulb in my wife's X3 last weekend so I went to the dealer to buy the buld. They wanted $25 for the bulb! Needless to say, I went to a local auto parts store and got 2 for under $10.

pwdoc16 08-29-2010 02:09 PM

Don't pay the dealer to replace tail light bulbs. Got a 2 pack of bulbs from rockauto.com for $1.27 + $1.43 s/h...less than 5 bucks. Once you remove the rear inside panel just locate which of the three white bulb-housings you need (middle one for brake light), give the bulb housing a quarter turn counterclockwise to remove. From there remove old bulb then insert your new bulb, and return to socket with a quarter turn clockwise. Literally took me a minute and a half, and I'm no mechanic by a long shot. Save your money for the big stuff.

KaseyD 09-07-2010 07:37 PM

be careful. i did replace the bulb and it was super easy, but ultimately both rear brake light assemblies had to be replaced.... apparently the 2005 X5 has a well known problem (but, not enough for BMW to cause it to be a defect...). Cost of replacement of the assemblies $300 apx apiece. took less than 1 hour.

vtrotter 12-12-2010 11:18 PM

Temperamental Rear Lights

My tail lights, rear brake lights, and rear turn signals occasionally stop working. I have to go in the back, open the access doors, and jiggle them to get a connection and they start working. Any suggestions on how to keep them working? Now the cops have stopped me for lights out:mad:. I need a permanent fix. Thanks.

Raimo 12-13-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtrotter (Post 5692568)
My tail lights, rear brake lights, and rear turn signals occasionally stop working. I have to go in the back, open the access doors, and jiggle them to get a connection and they start working. Any suggestions on how to keep them working? Now the cops have stopped me for lights out:mad:. I need a permanent fix. Thanks.

Poor ground maybe. Unplug the plastic socket from the light and bend the two metal clips upwards to get a better contact. Also check if the metal on the taillight itself insn't oxydized.

vtrotter 12-18-2010 10:06 PM

Thanks. I have actually done that. Looks like I am on the right track, so I will do it again.

nezarnuaimat 12-10-2012 05:18 AM

Is it 5 watts bulbs?

QSilver7 12-10-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezarnuaimat (Post 7240435)
Is it 5 watts bulbs?

Help us help you better...give a model year or at least a build date so that we can be sure we're giving you the correct answer/suggestions. :)

Below, is info from my 2006 owners manual....it says to use a 21 watt bulb. I'm not sure if the 2000-2003 use the same bulbs or not...so take consideration that this info may not be the same for the earlier models.

white_lancer 12-12-2012 12:05 AM

Had similar problems with the brake lights on my E53 2002 4.4 one stopped working - then the other. landed up replacing both bulb holders with new and both bulbs with new - sorted. must have been poor contacts

X5BimmerCT 08-25-2013 01:35 PM

The bulb and THEN some...

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, saw this post and need some help. 2005 X5 3.0i. I too have had and issue with the rear taillight message. Like most, I headed to the parts store and bought the replacement bulbs. Noticed that I still got the error and upon some checking, found some scoring around the white bulb socket?
1). should I replace it? and
2). could this cause a short to draw AC current from my battery? My X5 just died in someones driveway today (very embarrassing) got a jump and drove away. I purchased a new battery but have yet to install it until I can get some feedback.

Thanks you guys.