Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   05 745 Li "Heater Problems" (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421652)

Sparky7252 12-26-2009 05:00 PM

05 745 Li "Heater Problems"

We just puchased the vehicle the first week in December. After driving it for a while we noticed the heater had stopped working, so we brought it into the dealer to be repaired. The dealer stated the fan needed to be replace and the coolant level was low. While replacing the fan, they also stated the lower hose was broke and the sensor needed to be replaced. We havn't replaced the hose yet, but now the heater has stopped working again....Any ideas....

haz1 12-26-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky7252 (Post 4792735)
We just puchased the vehicle the first week in December. After driving it for a while we noticed the heater had stopped working, so we brought it into the dealer to be repaired. The dealer stated the fan needed to be replace and the coolant level was low. While replacing the fan, they also stated the lower hose was broke and the sensor needed to be replaced. We havn't replaced the hose yet, but now the heater has stopped working again....Any ideas....

Well, first welcome aboard Sparky, you have now entered the BMW zone. THis is the zone where u will learn new things like never before. Congrats on the purchase, you are now like in the BMW club dude, lol. Anyways u may want to check the fuse in glove box, secret compartment on top and in trunk on right. Also whats up with that hose their talking about. Please post some pics of your ride and any of the repairs you may do also

Bimmer750LI 12-26-2009 07:47 PM

If there is a slow leak and the system looses enough fluid then the heater stops working due to a air lock - sort of bubble in the system - preventing the flow of coolant through the heater core. When the leak/s are fixed and new coolant installed they bleed all the air out and run the heater to insure there is no bubble and that all systems are working and coolant is circulating properly. Of course it could also be one of the heater control valves not opening or the aux water circulation pump....dealer should be able to check for fault codes to determine if these are functioning to specification. Bottom line you need to bleed the system the correct way or you won't get the air pocket out and the heater and engine cooling will be compromised.

Sparky7252 12-26-2009 10:43 PM

update

After I got home from work I checked the resorvoir and found the fluid level was low. So I went to the dealer and bought the special BMW Antifreeze and replaced what was gone. But for now I placed an bandaide on it until I get the lower hose replaced and it stops leaking.... Our other car is a 1969 Ford Mustang FB...I know when the water level is low on it, it will still blow hot air. Not like the BMW. The dealer stated when the fluid is low the fans will not work, which will not blow hot air... The price on the hose is $174.00 and the sensor is $40.00 and of course the sensor is covered under the warranty.... How hard is it to replace the lower hose and housing? I have a left handed screwdriver and I'm right handed. Is that all I'll need?. lol

Keif 12-27-2009 12:14 AM

Specifically which hose is messed up? (post a part number and/or a link to the proper diagram from realoem.com ...you can use the last 7 characters of your VIN to look up your car on there)

Sparky7252 12-27-2009 07:33 AM

im not sure on the part number and wont be able to find out until Monday. however i do know it's the hose with the sensor on it (lower Rad Hose). I guess when you purchase the hose the housing comes with it. Is there anywhere to located a diagram?

Bimmer750LI 12-27-2009 09:29 AM

Be careful adding too much straight antifreeze - you should dilute it 50%-50%water. Not that it matters too much "IF" you have the lower hose replace in the near future but you wouldn't want to keep topping it off and create a high antifreeze level as it does not cool as efficiently and obviously your leaking somewhere and little critters:thumbdwn::(:cry: that lick it up will likely die - it's very toxic but smells and tastes sweet.

The prices listed below are on www.RealOem.com Most Dealers do charge more - a rare few charge less; don't know what the core value is worth:dunno: Don't know the suggested labor but not likely cheap just because it's the stealer. If you had a lift or jack stands and could remove the lower plastic panel to gain access you might be able to do it but there are ways to remove the fast release couplings on the hoses - you could look at the new one/s to see and give it a shot, there should also be o-rings which likely come with the new hoses :dunno: but you certainly need them and definitely wouldn't want to use your old ones (probably what needs replacing anyway). You'll need to collect all the antifreeze as it will rush out when you pull the hose off the lower radiator. Replace hose in reverse order, don't know if you can clearly access each end of the hose for easy replacement so look before disconnecting anything.

Here's what BMW says to do prior to filling coolant back up:

Before filling, turn on ignition (don't start engine). Set blower to low level. Seat heating controller to maximum temperature. This ensures that the heater valves are fully opened and the auxiliary water pump starts up. This will allow the air to escape and enter the hoses - in your case you don't know if all these are working so bleeding success will vary accordingly.

Production up through 2/05
The supply hose which looks octopusish 17127526954 $87.15 +core
The hose with a temp sensor is the Return Hose 17127508011 $43.58 +core

Production after 3/05
The supply hose which looks octopusish 17127535742 $87.15 +core
The hose with a temp sensor is the Return Hose 17127508011 $43.58 + core

Temperature sensor 13621433077 $25.03

Sparky7252 12-27-2009 10:01 AM

By looking at the diagram... it looks like the lower hose is the only hose that has the sensor...? So when I look at the diagram I'm assuming the one that needs to be replaced is the #2 hose "Return Hose", with #3 temperture switch. I guess having a BMW there are alot of steps to fill the radiator. Thanks for advising me on it. I would have just poured it in and ran it...lol

Keif 12-27-2009 08:18 PM

Very easy to replace -- the hose has quickconnect fittings on it.

Djjamar 01-05-2013 06:35 PM

I have 06 750 fans blow and no heat comes out at all. I'm cold help