Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Which auto transmission to I have (ZF vs GM)? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421667)

phil0618 12-26-2009 06:06 PM

Which auto transmission to I have (ZF vs GM)?

Hi,

I've been all over the forums looking at various items related to changing transmission fluids.

I just want to confirm the transmission on my car without having to jack up the car.

My car is a 2003 e46
The plate on the door says 06/03 (June, 2003)
The last part of the VIN reads KP81689
The sticker on the underside of the pan is green, but I can't read the markings
(i can see the sticker is green by placing a mirror under the car)

It's a California car and so I believe that I have the M56 SULEV engine (oil fill in front of engine)

The e46 wiki states that as of March 2003 all transmissions are GM.

However, I also used a VIN decoder I found online and it said that I had the ZF transmission.

Is it possible to know for sure just using the above data which transmission I have?

Best,

Phil

SlimKlim 12-26-2009 07:58 PM

It's a GM, you have a 2003 and 1/2 model like I used to and its sort of got a weird mixture of stuff. I did the same thing you did and bought the filter for a ZF transmission, didn't figure out it was a GM until the tranny was drained. Turned out to be quite a long afternoon chasing down the right filter. :tsk:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I edited the wiki when i figured that out. :rofl:

Melquin 12-26-2009 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AFIK all the M56 vehicles had the ZF transmissions. (see attached PDF). I have seen some of the ZF blue stickers that have oxidized and turned sort of a bright metallic green color over time. (as opposed to the more flat-puke green colored GM sticker). Best to check the recommended fluid part number listed on the label to verify which you have.

edit: PDF was too large so just took a snapshot of the first page

SlimKlim 12-26-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melquin (Post 4793173)
AFIK all the M56 vehicles had the ZF transmissions. (see attached PDF). I have seen some of the ZF blue stickers that have oxidized and turned sort of a bright metallic green color over time. (as opposed to the more flat-puke green colored GM sticker). Best to check the recommended fluid part number to verify which you have.

edit: PDF was too large so just took a snapshot of the first page

Ohh, didnt know that, sorry about the misinformation. I wonder why they would bother to fit two different trannies for the different emission engines.

Starless 12-26-2009 09:43 PM

I just decoded your VIN. Your tranny is A5S325Z which is ZF tranny. It requires ESSO ATF LT 71141 fluid.

smolck 12-27-2009 06:12 AM

Count the pan bolts. The GM trannies have 22 bolts, the ZF have 14.

STREETFIGHTER50 12-06-2012 10:21 PM

I'm just peeking under the car & can't really see or read anything off of the sticker. I'd have to lift it up this weekend to tell I guess. My car's VIN # tag reads 08/03. So is it the GM tranny for sure?

Fast Bob 12-07-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 (Post 7235644)
I'm just peeking under the car & can't really see or read anything off of the sticker. I'd have to lift it up this weekend to tell I guess. My car's VIN # tag reads 08/03. So is it the GM tranny for sure?

Read Smolck`s Post# 6....it doesn`t get much more definitive than THAT !