Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Rear Door Panel (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428589)

Sonoman707 01-25-2010 07:19 AM

Rear Door Panel

1 Attachment(s)
I replaced the window regulator in the RR door this weekend.

I haven't run across this detail - so I took a pic of the back of the door panel showing the the ribbed pins/snap locations for anyone else who may be removing the door panel.

Started at the front bottom edge and worked my way around the bottom of the panel and up the back edge.

The top attachments - pull the panel straight away from the door. Requires quite a bit of force, but a good/quick tug pretty much separates all of them at once.

Re-installation was simply the reverse approach.

Managed not to break any of them - YMMV. :)

(This door does not have the rear side airbag option.)

Entire replacement of the regulator took about two hours - the next time I could easily do it in a hour or less from quirky little lessons learned. ;)

UncleJ 01-25-2010 08:08 AM

How did you deal with the vapor barrier which seems to be the cause of so many leak problems?

Sonoman707 01-25-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 4877510)
How did you deal with the vapor barrier which seems to be the cause of so many leak problems?

Removal - exacto knife, razor blade and patience. :) I put a thin bead of black acrylic adhesive on top of the old when I replaced it as an extra precaution and used a hairdryer to thoroughly heat the existing adhesive after getting it back on.

A tug test after it cooled down indicated good adhesion all around and I am confident the seal is re-established. Heavy rains last night and no moisture or wetness. Also made sure the weep / drain holes were clean while I had the barrier off of the door.

I picked up a new vapor barrier just in case... which I can/will return for full credit since I didn't damage the old one. They now sell a double-sided tape for applying a new vapor barrier as well if you aren't comfortable working with acrylic adhesive.

thayerV 01-25-2010 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks,

I'm definitely saving that one.

Here is my contribution... A pic of the inside of the hatch.

My rear glass got broken out. Insurance deduct was $1,000 and I was afraid the installer would rush the job and chew up the pinchweld so I fixed it myself.

Supercourse 01-25-2010 01:30 PM

Thx., another good contribution too.

Can clearly see where the 9 or so plastic clips go in, so will help me when a backup bulb needs replacing.
And can see that the red safety lamp built into the interior panel has a reasonable amount of slack when disconnecting.

On the glass replacement - Bravo!

thayerV 01-25-2010 02:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercourse (Post 4878502)
Thx., another good contribution too.

Can clearly see where the 9 or so plastic clips go in, so will help me when a backup bulb needs replacing.
And can see that the red safety lamp built into the interior panel has a reasonable amount of slack when disconnecting.

On the glass replacement - Bravo!

This site is so full of info I feel privileged to be able to add my bit.

The glass install was not bad. I've seen it done many times but this was my first. The biggest part is getting the old urethane down to about 1mm thick without gouging the crap out of your paint.

I used 3M's urethane:

UncleJ 01-26-2010 08:39 AM

Great info! Thanks,:angel: