Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   6 Series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   E64 645ci 2004 Logic7 Amp replacement (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431933)

gillms1 02-07-2010 08:04 AM

E64 645ci 2004 Logic7 Amp replacement

Hi,

I've been having problems with my Logic7 sound system (scratching/distorted sound coming from left & centre speakers) - this happened at the same time I needed one of my Xenon lights replacing (ouch!) and BMW diagnosed it and said I need the amp and centre dash speaker replacing.

They want 1400 odd pounds to replace and fit and have offered 50% goodwill, which whilst appreciated I can't really afford after just having to pay a similar amount to replace the light.

Having read up on this, there seems to be a lot of people who have experienced similar problems and have saved alot of money by replacing the amp themselves (in some cases the amps have managed to be repaired).

So I was wondering:

1) Has anyone experienced anything similar?

2) Looking on RealOEM.com there appears to alot of iterations of the Logic7 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=65&fg=25) - I've come across a 65129150899 (which ended 09/2007) for 250...would this be fine to fit?

3) Anyone have any decent guides to replacing the amp? Is it just a case of hot-swapping them? I'm due to get a dension 500 installed and the audio shop I'm going to use have said if that's the case then they'll do it for me. But it would be useful to have a guide in case I have to do it myself.

4) I read a post on this forum where someone did the procedure on a 7series - the amp is located in the trunk towards the left arch of the wheel - is this the same for the 6 series?

Sorry for the long post, any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sunny

docpaulo 02-07-2010 09:20 AM

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ca...Speaker-Pairs/

they only have the center speakers available...

dunno about the amp... somebody else will chime in..

gillms1 02-07-2010 09:44 AM

Thanks for the link. Anyone had any experience of this speaker?

I'm thinking of sorting out the amp first and then seeing if the speaker needs replacing or it was just BMW trying to squeeze more 's out of me.

tampamark 02-07-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillms1 (Post 4917108)
Thanks for the link. Anyone had any experience of this speaker?

I'm thinking of sorting out the amp first and then seeing if the speaker needs replacing or it was just BMW trying to squeeze more 's out of me.

PM me your email address, I can send you instructions in PDF format. The service manual does say that replacement involves programing/coding but doesn't go into any details, you would need to talk with a service adviser about that. I just cannot give you a definitive answer based on the info I have.

Also, I replaced my center speaker with a better speaker. So I have an OEM center speaker that I can send to you for cheap.

Either way, send me your email and I will help. If you want the speaker we can work that out privately.

The center speaker is very easy to change, the grill just pops straight up, I used a thin spatula as a puller tool, just wedged it under and slowly worked ti up around the edges. Once you have it up there are 3 torx screws. it is best to use a torx bit in a rachet since you cannot fit a screwdriver in that space. I can't remember which size torx driver to use, you will need to get a bit set and figure that one out. A set is really cheap.

V8HAHA 02-08-2010 06:18 PM

Would you mind sending me the pdf also? my email is samtae@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 4917892)
PM me your email address, I can send you instructions in PDF format. The service manual does say that replacement involves programing/coding but doesn't go into any details, you would need to talk with a service adviser about that. I just cannot give you a definitive answer based on the info I have.

Also, I replaced my center speaker with a better speaker. So I have an OEM center speaker that I can send to you for cheap.

Either way, send me your email and I will help. If you want the speaker we can work that out privately.

The center speaker is very easy to change, the grill just pops straight up, I used a thin spatula as a puller tool, just wedged it under and slowly worked ti up around the edges. Once you have it up there are 3 torx screws. it is best to use a torx bit in a rachet since you cannot fit a screwdriver in that space. I can't remember which size torx driver to use, you will need to get a bit set and figure that one out. A set is really cheap.

kontir 02-08-2010 10:45 PM

If yr amp is gonne it looks like the speakers dont work either. All you need to do is replace the amp. No need to program anything. I had the same exact problem. I bought an used amp, replaced it n everything works fine! Try it. Dont buy a new amp. U can buy the same used amp 4 cheap. It does the same function. The dealer always try to get you. It doesnt require any programming. I even changed the ask unit n was told by the dealer that it needed programming. It was a biggg lie. It just needs replacement.

tampamark 02-09-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8HAHA (Post 4921312)
Would you mind sending me the pdf also? my email is samtae@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance!

I will send it a bit later today...

roughx021 09-20-2010 01:55 PM

My car just had the same problems as gillms1 on my 04 645Ci. My passenger side xenon went out and there is no sound coming from any of the speakers. Of course this happens when I'm out of warranty. I was able to fix the Xenon, the ballast stopped working (but now I see there is a malfunction with the adaptive lighting).

Can anyone help me with the amp issue though? Where is the Logic 7 amp located? Is there more than 1 amp? Can anyone send me a copy of the PDF tampamark has? My email is roughx021@hotmail.com. I thank you in advance

30yrVeteran 09-22-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughx021 (Post 5484302)
My car just had the same problems as gillms1 on my 04 645Ci. My passenger side xenon went out and there is no sound coming from any of the speakers. Of course this happens when I'm out of warranty. I was able to fix the Xenon, the ballast stopped working (but now I see there is a malfunction with the adaptive lighting).

I had the adaptive headlight fault after messing with my lighting mods. Disconnect the battery for a min or two and reconnect. That made mine go away.

roughx021 09-22-2010 05:50 AM

Thanx, will try. After I installed the ballast, the battery did drain and I had to jump the car. But I will try the disconnection method. By the way, love your lighting mods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30yrVeteran (Post 5488565)
I had the adaptive headlight fault after messing with my lighting mods. Disconnect the battery for a min or two and reconnect. That made mine go away.

Icyhateinyoeyez 12-15-2010 08:09 PM

Im having the same problem on my 05 645. The left rear sub makes a pop noise when i turn the car on then when i turn the volume up it makes a crackling noise as if it was blown, So i went and bought 2 07 m6 subs from a junk yard and hooked it up and still the same. So i took the left rear liner off inside my trunk (couple of torx screws and clips)removed the amp and it looks like it was replaced already cause there was paint on it saying it was 04 645. It also had dried condensation marks, im gona try replacing it too because i heard this amps go alot on these cars because of the condensation from the amp being so close to the drains, hopefully it'll take care of my problem...:/

Icyhateinyoeyez 01-25-2011 01:29 PM

Replaced it with a 06 5 series logic 7 amp and everything works great now!!!! :D
just letting you know.

pablo645 01-25-2011 01:46 PM

:thumbup: glad that worked out for you. These AMP sucks! And the location they put it does not help either. Make sure your car was recalled for that drain issue. That was a major problem before BMW did a recall to fix that drain hose that runs close to the AMP compartment.

TxTaz 01-25-2011 04:33 PM

Sounds like we need a DIY for Logic 7 AMP fixes and drain routing.
Anybody have a fried amp they want to donate to the cause? I can source out the parts, fix it adn return it. Hopefully the parts are not German.
Also, who has more info on the drain problem? I don't think mine has been fixed so I can check into it.

5678 01-26-2011 08:13 AM

Small world thread starter... I live just outside Reading too.

Which audio shop did you use to work on it? There are two on Basingstoke Road but both are very expensive from previous experience.

gillms1 01-26-2011 08:35 AM

Hello!

What colour is your 6er? I noticed a silver 650i driving through town today!

I got my work done from one of those on Basingstoke Road - John Kleis. To be fair they do seem quite pricey, but they offered me the best deal I could find on fitting the Dension 500 system. If you want to know any more details feel free to ask away!

Just as an update to the thread as a whole - I'm now starting to experience the same crackling (at certain frequencies) and popping (when changing gears, which is very random!). Although the popping seems to have stopped a bit since my 6er was back at the stealers for the brake recall (coincidence??).

My uncle took a look at my original logic 7 amp and said there was some water damage and he cleaned it all up so I'm going to have a go at swapping them back over and seeing if that makes any difference (stealers took a look for me and said I don't have any drainage/hose problems).

Also I'm going to purchase a set of FOCAL 100CA speakers and replace my centre channel speaker (which I suspect is blown) - so if there's anyone interested I can offer the spare speaker at cost price (30 GBP).

5678 01-26-2011 08:46 AM

Mine is Monaco blue with cream. It's also filthy dirty at the moment! It's got a V8 *** plate on so stands out a bit. What about yours?

I went for an OEM iPod connection in mine and had it fitted by Coopers, IIRC it was 300? Kleis are the best option really. Definitely expensive, but they've been in Reading for as long as I can remember so must be doing something right!

Fingers crossed my L7 amp is ok so far. I've had one of the subs relaced under warranty though.

Lobart 02-01-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxTaz (Post 5799849)
Sounds like we need a DIY for Logic 7 AMP fixes and drain routing.
Anybody have a fried amp they want to donate to the cause? I can source out the parts, fix it adn return it. Hopefully the parts are not German.
Also, who has more info on the drain problem? I don't think mine has been fixed so I can check into it.

hey, i had my amp replaced due to the drain problem on the convertible.
good news is the drain problem is free to fix under bmw recall but not the amp even tho the amp was fried because of the drain problem!

coug60 02-02-2011 08:09 AM

I'm the guy who had speaker problems with his 7... To make a story short everyone said one or more bad speakers and further trouble shooting....
Researched it and purchased a used Logic7 from http://www.bmrparts.com/index.htm Bavarian Auto Recycling, one of the largest, most experienced, and most organized BMW recycling facilities in the world -- (over 10,000 BMW's dismantled) Quote from there website... After that everything worked fine.
Replacing it took me about a half hour, It took longer to get everything out of my trunk. Hot swap. no programing and you'll be good to go...

wesman76 02-19-2011 11:50 AM

Can I get that PDF on replacing the amp please? Thanks for the help.

wesman76@gmail.com

coug60 02-19-2011 04:11 PM

Its not that complicated. I have only replaced one on my 7 series and I'm pretty sure its the same on the 6 series.. The amp was located in the trunk, left side, behind the cardboard fabric stuff (whatever you call it). Its approximately 12 inches long by 4.5 inches wide and deep. It was really easy. There are two connectors on the unit, one electrical and one FOC (fiber optic connector). The unit is held in place by 3 pullouts. The only tools you will need is to take the trunk cover off to get at the unit. It took me about 30 minutes and that's only because I had never done it before. Bet you I could do it in 15 or less now....

MDELO79 02-21-2011 10:57 PM

i recently have been experiencing problems with my passenger side front speaker. seems that only when i accelerate past 4300 rpm's it will distort. no matter how loud or low the volume is. i took it to the dealership and they said it was the amp. so after replacing it and paying $250 for a detuctible i took the car home and guess what????? it is still doing it. i called them IMMEDIATELY and i told them that i wanted my old amp back and a refund. they said they already threw it away and will try to fix the problem. and didnt want to refund me.... fugging BS!!! so now the car is still at the STEALERSHIP and they cant figure it out.....

any one know what it can be????????

sms 03-23-2011 03:51 PM

Hi All:

I've really found this thread (and others on the site) helpful and figured I'd share a bit of what I learned abotu all of this.

I've got the great pleasure of spending $1500 to replace this amp due to the drainage issue as well. Turns out plant debris plugged the drain in the convertible top and afer a car wash last Friday it went out (fortunately, due to the dryness in AZ it dried out and returned to working order). Then Monday we got rain and it went down for the count.

Had I known about the issue (and the resolution) I could have cleaned the drains at the first sign of trouble and, well, my wallet would be $1500 heavier. Better yet, I'd just keep the damrned things clean.

So, folks, I guess there's something we put on the annual check list - clean the convertible top drains. I'll be whining at BMWNA as given the problems with the drains these should have been checked as part of the service procedures.... but I expect little...

Enjoy spring!

aziz745i 03-30-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kontir (Post 4921989)
If yr amp is gonne it looks like the speakers dont work either. All you need to do is replace the amp. No need to program anything. I had the same exact problem. I bought an used amp, replaced it n everything works fine! Try it. Dont buy a new amp. U can buy the same used amp 4 cheap. It does the same function. The dealer always try to get you. It doesnt require any programming. I even changed the ask unit n was told by the dealer that it needed programming. It was a biggg lie. It just needs replacement.

so i was wondering When replacing the logic 7 amp does it have to be the same part number as the original amp or can It be replaced with any Logic 7 amp from any E65/E66?

Icyhateinyoeyez 04-01-2011 01:52 PM

Any 04 to 08 5 series or 6 series logic 7 works!!! i got one from an 08 545 and it worked awesome! took me literallly 20 mins to replace it.