Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Angel Eyes DRL (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434502)

yakitori832 02-17-2010 11:15 AM

Angel Eyes DRL

I was driving to work today and noticed the the e90 with the 09 LCI had its angel eyes on and nothing else. I never recalled my 09 e90 doing the same. So i checked outside under the sun if my angel eyes were on, but they weren't. It only comes on when i switch them to parking lamps or at night when the driving lights turn on. I turned the DRL on and off and both options did not have the angel eyes on.

Am i missing something?

I've looked around for threads but couldnt find anything. Maybe my search criteria is off.

Orient330iNYC 02-17-2010 11:39 AM

do you have halogens or xenons?

E92Submarine 02-17-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakitori832 (Post 4946358)
I was driving to work today and noticed the the e90 with the 09 LCI had its angel eyes on and nothing else. I never recalled my 09 e90 doing the same. So i checked outside under the sun if my angel eyes were on, but they weren't. It only comes on when i switch them to parking lamps or at night when the driving lights turn on. I turned the DRL on and off and both options did not have the angel eyes on.

Am i missing something?

I've looked around for threads but couldnt find anything. Maybe my search criteria is off.

Daytime running lamps enabled in iDrive?

vadim 02-17-2010 11:59 AM

Pre-LCI E90/91 do not use the halo lights as DRL. Is yours LCI?

yakitori832 02-17-2010 12:03 PM

Halogen lamps, no idrive

Bryan@Jlevi SW 02-17-2010 12:24 PM

non LCI E90s do not have this feature...you must have an early build 09 car which was PRELCI

We do offer a wiring kit that will enable this feature...its our Daeos Daytime AE operation system.

I'd double check to make sure your car isn't an LCI first, however.

yakitori832 02-17-2010 12:30 PM

i have the facelifted 09 model. is that not LCI?

boltjaM3s 02-17-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakitori832 (Post 4946603)
i have the facelifted 09 model. is that not LCI?

That is the LCI, but you don't have xenon's which is what you saw on the road. You and I have halogens, and the halogens DRL's are the inner 'dot' headlamp. The angels only come on in complete darkness as the inner ring with the outer 'dot' lit.

When I traded in my E93 w/xenon's and got an E90 w/halogens I too tried to solve this, but nothing will work in "automatic' mode. You'll have to manually switch the headlamps each night and/or purchase a questionable xenon-like kit with all of the issues that go along with them (blue-ish tint, fail quickly, not as bright, cause error messages on the dash display, etc).

I just decided to live with the standard halogen DRL's and that's that.

Here's a visual explanation of what I was trying to accomplish....posted it in another thread and over on E90post. Lots of dialogue, decided to stay as-is.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...90drlissue.jpg

BJ

Edison@JleviSW 02-17-2010 01:03 PM

You have a facelift LCI E90, I can tell by the Euro Clear headlights. Does the car have halogens or xenons? The angel eyes are activated through the iDrive system to enable daytime functionality. Your dealer can do it as well.

yakitori832 02-17-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 4946694)
That is the LCI, but you don't have xenon's which is what you saw on the road. You and I have halogens, and the halogens DRL's are the inner 'dot' headlamp. The angels only come on in complete darkness as the inner ring with the outer 'dot' lit.

When I traded in my E93 w/xenon's and got an E90 w/halogens I too tried to solve this, but nothing will work in "automatic' mode. You'll have to manually switch the headlamps each night and/or purchase a questionable xenon-like kit with all of the issues that go along with them (blue-ish tint, fail quickly, not as bright, cause error messages on the dash display, etc).

I just decided to live with the standard halogen DRL's and that's that.

Here's a visual explanation of what I was trying to accomplish....posted it in another thread and over on E90post. Lots of dialogue, decided to stay as-is.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...90drlissue.jpg

BJ

Thanks! Thats everything i needed to know. Yeah the lamp as a DRL is not cool at all.

yakitori832 02-17-2010 02:38 PM

miss posted

bluecrab 12-06-2012 06:30 PM

I just purchased a new (used) 2011 328i xDrive with halogen headlights and I'd like to change the DRLs to the corona "angel eye" mode. My new car does have the NAV system, so I assume it has iDrive. Will someone explain how to make this change?

This car is so much different than the 325xi that I traded in. Love the new car!!