Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   645 iDrive version check and update? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439136)

Solution Six 03-08-2010 06:14 AM

645 iDrive version check and update?

When I bought my 645, one of the stipulations that I had put on the purchase agreement was updating the iDrive system to the latest release. After a few phone calls and a visit to activate my BMW Assist, they alluded to the fact that they had NOT updated the software and would typically only do so to fix a "problem" or add a feature. He told me to find anything that might be wrong and they would go ahead and correct it, basically telling me its up to me to tell them if there's an update available.

I asked them for the update to support MP3 capabilities, to which they responded and said its not available for the 2004 645. Is this true? From what I have read on the forums its available to even the early 6ers? If it is available is there some specific software revision i need to specifically ask them for since they claim its not an option?

Also, is there a way for me to check the revision of my iDrive system software myself? I had asked them to at least get me the revision that the car is currently at and they gave me the run around about not wanting to do anything to the software unless theres a problem as they might end up causing more problems than they fix by upgrading.

Any advice on how to get them to proceed? Overall, I was very happy with the dealer during the overall experience and I think their service people are extremely nice, just... not so willing to help a buyer of a USED car.

chasz17 03-08-2010 07:34 AM

Be careful updating the software unless you have a problem. There have been reports that updating the software can introduce problems, and, once updated, you can't go back. In addition, the software update take 3 to 5 hours.

Solution Six 03-08-2010 07:48 AM

So in terms of usability, the system doesnt change at all with the updates? I had read that more recent revisions were much improved in terms of usability and navigation through the system?

Not that I have too many nagging issues with it today, nor do I know if mine is at a recent release or not either at this point... I just know that I for sure can't play MP3 discs at this point. :)

chasz17 03-08-2010 08:36 AM

I do not believe you'll be able to play MP3 encoded discs with the proper update for your 2004. I just had to have my car (2005 645Cic) reprogrammed due to a replacement of one of my headlights. The entire programming had to be done and took four hours. I didn't notice any changes at all. Again, do not mess with the programming unless you have to as you could introduce problems and unintended consequences.

pan 03-08-2010 10:34 AM

In seven years and three cars (2003 745i, 2006 650i and 2010 650i) I've never had a problem upgrading software. I've only seen improvements. All of these cars have had at least 2 software upgrades and the most was the 745 at around eight or nine upgrades. I can only tell you don't fear the upgrade and find any excuse to do it.

Solution Six 03-08-2010 01:57 PM

I've seen similar responses all over the board... I'm trying my damndest to find a reason to give them to upgrade as they wont do it without a reason at this point -- from what I am seeing it's because of the time involved and I don't think they want to invest that much time in it.

The only real solid reason I have found thus far is the MP3 update which I can't find a good answer to whether or not all models should be capable of playing MP3s or not. From what I've been reading, every one of them is capable of it with the right updates, but my dealer says no. maybe I'll call other remote dealer and have them run my VIN and tell me if the option is available.

My main reason here is... my own inability to "settle" with old software when I know there's newer/nicer interface options available -- now this may seem like a silly reason, however, I can't seem to help wanting it done. :)

feathersjr 03-08-2010 04:15 PM

Look for the MP3 Bulletin

Do a search in the 6er forum for "MP3 bulletin". Several pdf's available that indicate it will work for your car. Dealers don't want the liability to upgrade without charging $500 for the service on an "out of warrenty" item.
If you find a reason to make them do it, let me know. I want to up grade to play MP3's as well.:thumbup:
Be of good cheer.

Solution Six 03-09-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feathersjr (Post 5000241)
Do a search in the 6er forum for "MP3 bulletin". Several pdf's available that indicate it will work for your car. Dealers don't want the liability to upgrade without charging $500 for the service on an "out of warrenty" item.
If you find a reason to make them do it, let me know. I want to up grade to play MP3's as well.:thumbup:
Be of good cheer.

Perfect, found it. Thats exactly what I was looking for. The bulletin does say from start of production on so ... it "SHOULD" be available, but we'll see. I was promised that the car had the bluetooth module installed when I bought it, and they found later that it did not have the module installed. I'm using that as ammunition to get the MP3 update done, but we'll see how willing they are to try it this time.

Thanks!

feathersjr 03-26-2010 10:30 AM

MP3 upgrade

I just got my 2005 645CI IDrive software upgraded to play MP3. It works great and the cost was $270:thumbup:
The dealer did need to keep the car overnight, but everything worked out and I'm jazzed.:bigpimp:

Solution Six 03-26-2010 12:17 PM

Awesome. Do you know the production date of your 6? Mine is late 03 but they said they could try it if i was willing to try since I brought them the bulletin. I am bringing it in to try it as soon as my Aux adapter gets here. I hopefully will have it by today so I can install it this weekend and bring it in to have it all activated next week.

joepipe 03-26-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feathersjr (Post 5051621)
I just got my 2005 645CI IDrive software upgraded to play MP3. It works great and the cost was $270:thumbup:
The dealer did need to keep the car overnight, but everything worked out and I'm jazzed.:bigpimp:

What was the new version # they used and what else was updated other than mp3 ?? I already have the ipod kit so I'm just curious if I should do an upgrade.

feathersjr 03-26-2010 02:52 PM

I'm not near my car right now, but I know the production date was very early for 2005, maybe Sept 04. The guy I bought it from paid a premium to jump the list for the new arrivals, go figure!:dunno:
If I already had the IPod connection, I'm not sure I would have needed to do the MP3 upgrade, since you already have a couple of thousand recordings to listen to anyway;)
But I do know it worked, I let the dealer know I was bringing a test CD with MP3 songs on it when I came to pick it up.:angel: