Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Best Diesel Fuel Station Poll (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442002)

Neutrinolad 03-19-2010 10:28 AM

Best Diesel Fuel Station Poll

Please select your preferred diesel fuel station in the USA.

santo 03-19-2010 10:41 AM

Would you mind changing it to specify US? It would be good to do a similar poll for Canada.

Neutrinolad 03-19-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santo (Post 5030722)
Would you mind changing it to specify US? It would be good to do a similar poll for Canada.

Certainly. Done.

lalitkanteti 03-19-2010 11:47 AM

I chose Shell only because they are cleaner than rest. They also have ULSD and claim its premium fuel. But after reading some earlier posts here I feel they dont have very good cetane rating. In MA, Citigo looks very shady and I dont see Chevorn or BP around. I see lot of Mobils but havent gone through their diesel specs yet. If there are any New England drivers on this board I would like to know what they prefer for their ds

d geek 03-19-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalitkanteti (Post 5030919)
I chose Shell only because they are cleaner than rest. They also have ULSD and claim its premium fuel. But after reading some earlier posts here I feel they dont have very good cetane rating. ...

what do you mean by cleaner?

ULSD will be the only diesel available for on-road use on Dec 1 of this year in the US (already the case in CA)- so most (all?) diesel stations in your area should have ULSD available.

premium diesel by definition is high cetane (47 and higher)

62Lincoln 03-19-2010 12:23 PM

FYI, Exxon and Mobil are the same company: ExxonMobil (never accuse an oil company of creativity).

lalitkanteti 03-19-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d geek (Post 5030999)
what do you mean by cleaner?

ULSD will be the only diesel available for on-road use on Dec 1 of this year in the US (already the case in CA)- so most (all?) diesel stations in your area should have ULSD available.

premium diesel by definition is high cetane (47 and higher)

I meant shell pumps look well maintained in general. No diesel on handles.

I checked out 7 pumps around my town and 4 of them dont have ULSD sticker and person on counter has no idea what ULSD means. My colleagues at work who have diesel pick ups say its ULSD everywhere in New England still I dont want to take a chance.

d geek 03-19-2010 01:17 PM

California went to all ULSD sometime in 2006. I know MA uses CARB regs too, but I'm not sure if that applies to ULSD.

Marine5302 03-20-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joseph (Post 5031015)
fyi, exxon and mobil are the same company: Exxonmobil (never accuse an oil company of creativity).

+1

lalitkanteti 04-06-2010 07:47 AM

Shell Station

From my experience with 4 different Shell Stations around New England area:

1. No overspill
2. Nozzle fits perfectly. So no need to use filter. Sometimes they have 2 different nozzle on either side of pump. One that fits my d and another which probably fits trucks
3. Auto shut off works perfectly
4. Fast (similar to gas)
5. Surroundings are Clean
6. No diesel on nozzle handle
7. Out of 6 fillups I had till now, 4 times attendant came out to ask me is your vehicle diesel

tlak77 04-06-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalitkanteti (Post 5080049)
.... 4 times attendant came out to ask me is your vehicle diesel

That's actually nice that someone still care about good service :thumbup:

Patrick 04-06-2010 11:07 AM

Shell.

V-Power diesel FTW!

AndrewZ 04-06-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 5080676)
Shell.

V-Power diesel FTW!

:thumbup::thumbup:

d geek 04-06-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 5080676)
Shell.

V-Power diesel FTW!

unfortunately not available to us over here :(

Patrick 04-07-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d geek (Post 5081920)
unfortunately not available to us over here :(

And fortunately for you, you don't have to pay $6.00 a gallon for it. :)

Stugots 04-07-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 5084189)
And fortunately for you, you don't have to pay $6.00 a gallon for it. :)

I'd give at least 1 tank a go.

railroader 04-12-2010 03:52 PM

Guys, can I inject a question here...is the Chevron ULSD rated at 47 cetane? The attendant has no idea.
I'm in CA, so all our diesel fuel is ULSD by law; just wondering how I can find the cetane numbers. I'd like
to put in a tank of BP, but can't find a BP station near my location. Sounds like Shell is one of the best, from
your postings above. Thanks again for any fuel info you might be able to provide. Happy compressions!

r-roader

TridentFrog 04-12-2010 05:00 PM

Here you go railroader, don't say I never got you nuffin...

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...st_region.aspx

railroader 04-12-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TridentFrog (Post 5098103)
Here you go railroader, don't say I never got you nuffin...

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...st_region.aspx

Thanks TF-- looks like the Chevron comes in at 40 cetane. I'm going to check Shell's site and see if they can provide any of the Number 47. Might as well put in the top stuff- if you can find it! Thanks again.:)

TridentFrog 04-12-2010 05:23 PM

BAAAMMM SONNNN!

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/upload...hell%20VPD.JPG

Couldn't find an official Shell page with this information like I did with Chevron. So I can't say that the numbers are 100% legit.

mavrik1943 11-30-2012 05:59 AM

Frustrated over the diesel fuel situation!

I have only owned my Diesel BMW (2012 X5 xDrive, 35d) for a few weeks. She was very quiet during the test drive and on the way home, a drive about 22 miles.

However I then noticed that the vehicle began to sound more and more like a diesel of old
(300 miles). Then came the first experience in filling the tank at a local Shell station very near to my home. First, the nossle bearly fit in the fill for tank and the engine sounded even louder after another 100 mile. The pump was labeled correctly (ULSD) so I have a feeling that the cetane levels were really low. I would think that the real issue is, there is no requirement to post the cetane rating although the engine requires more.
The question remains, where can we buy quality diesel fuel that will end this debate??????

By the way, I did go back to the BMW dealer and ask the same question concerning cetane levels, no valid answer other than ULSD.

Mavrik1943

floydarogers 11-30-2012 06:42 AM

Chevron is usually cheapest. But I also use Safeway, Cenex and Shell; whichever is cheapest and most convenient at the time.

d geek 11-30-2012 07:17 AM

You can use additives to boost cetane. Power Service claims their Diesel Kleen product will boost your cetane by as many as 6 points. Its also a good idea to use an additive for increased lubricity and PS does that too.

Snipe656 11-30-2012 09:39 AM

I originally only used Shell because back then their stations here in town still said it was a premium diesel, their signs have all since changed though. I stopped using Shell after a few months because for some reason every Shell station I tried the pumps would pump PAINFULLY slow on the BMW even though worked perfectly on the Mercedes and Ford. Since then I have exclusively used Chevron but I think one time when we used the BMW on a road trip and had to fillup at so no name place. I typically always use Chevron anyway even before we got the BMW, big reason being my wife works for Chevron and for years with additives, so we have a very good idea of the quality of what we are buying.

d geek 11-30-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipe656 (Post 7223250)
I originally only used Shell because back then their stations here in town still said it was a premium diesel, their signs have all since changed though. I stopped using Shell after a few months because for some reason every Shell station I tried the pumps would pump PAINFULLY slow on the BMW even though worked perfectly on the Mercedes and Ford. Since then I have exclusively used Chevron but I think one time when we used the BMW on a road trip and had to fillup at so no name place. I typically always use Chevron anyway even before we got the BMW, big reason being my wife works for Chevron and for years with additives, so we have a very good idea of the quality of what we are buying.

I filled up at a Chevron yesterday and they had an "up to 5% biodiesel" label on the pump.

Does your wife know how the Chevron diesel tests for HFRR wear scar?