Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   battery tender for storage (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443776)

330indy 03-25-2010 09:29 PM

battery tender for storage

how many of you guys/gals keep your car tendered with a battery tender?
it feels great to start it up after 3 months of sleep, and it springs to life
love it

SUNZOUT 03-25-2010 09:54 PM

yep - schumacher - around $25 from Walmart.

Ron Stygar 03-25-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 330indy (Post 5050184)
how many of you guys/gals keep your car tendered with a battery tender?
it feels great to start it up after 3 months of sleep, and it springs to life
love it

My tender is on the car in the garage year round.

bhurley 03-26-2010 06:40 AM

I had mine on the deltran battery tender plus for the winter. It snapped right over.

Vinci 03-26-2010 07:16 AM

Is there any reason that a battery tender shouldn't be left inside the cabin/trunk while charging? A friend parks their coupe in a parking garage, and it would be better to not have the tender itself left in the open.

Ron Stygar 03-26-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinci (Post 5050833)
Is there any reason that a battery tender shouldn't be left inside the cabin/trunk while charging? A friend parks their coupe in a parking garage, and it would be better to not have the tender itself left in the open.

If it fails and gets on fire.

wired 03-26-2010 07:36 AM

My car may not be used for 3 to 4 days every week so i want something quick and simple to plug and unplug.

How about that tender that BMW sells that goes into the lighter... is that any good?
I'd rather not open the trunk and lift up stuff so that lighter tender looks pretty simple.

For the Schumacher tender from Walmart is there any other way to connect it without all the hassle of going into the trunk?

SUNZOUT 03-26-2010 07:38 AM

It does come with quick connect kit to hard wire it but I just use the terminals in the engine compartment.

Ron Stygar 03-26-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinci (Post 5050833)

I forget the details but a Z3 got on fire under the hood using a tender.

Vinci 03-26-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Stygar (Post 5050852)
If it fails and gets on fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Stygar (Post 5050886)
I forget the details but a Z3 got on fire under the hood using a tender.

That's one of the big ones that had come to mind. I may just help them secure it to the car somehow. Maybe some coated cable or the like.

inTgr8r 03-26-2010 08:04 AM

^ I'm going to look at an external connector for mine.
I'll probably pick up connections from the engine compartment terminals.

I'd prefer to keep the tender out of the car.

jman1975 03-26-2010 08:07 AM

I get mine out of storage in a week...we'll see if the tender worked for the last 6 months

Ron Stygar 03-26-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inTgr8r (Post 5050950)
^ I'm going to look at an external connector for mine.
I'll probably pick up connections from the engine compartment terminals.

I'd prefer to keep the tender out of the car.

inTgr8r 03-26-2010 08:35 AM

Thanks Ron

Terry J. Harris 03-26-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wired (Post 5050875)
My car may not be used for 3 to 4 days every week so i want something quick and simple to plug and unplug.

How about that tender that BMW sells that goes into the lighter... is that any good?
I'd rather not open the trunk and lift up stuff so that lighter tender looks pretty simple.

For the Schumacher tender from Walmart is there any other way to connect it without all the hassle of going into the trunk?

I've had the BMW tender for years, as I purchased originally for use with my Z3. Living in Wyoming I may go a month or even months not driving the roadster, so the tender was a necessity. The BMW tender is quick and easy, plugging into the car's cigarette lighter. I now use it also on my Z4 and even on my X3. I was a non-believer as to the need for it with the X3 until Wyoming went through its gawd-awful fall/winter this past year with constant temps down around single digit or worse. I often walk to work so even my X3 can go for days without being driven. Got in the X3 after a week+ of those temps and just sitting, tried starting it up and it barely started, and the clock and all similar items needed resetting. Talked to the BMW folks and they told me use the tender also on the X3. So now whichever one is not being driven gets put on the tender.

WINDonSKIN 03-26-2010 04:35 PM

Will be taking the cover off tomorrow and firing her up for the first time since nov. I have one on the harley also. It turned over 2 times and rumbled so will see how the roadster does.

wired 03-26-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry J. Harris (Post 5051501)
I've had the BMW tender for years, as I purchased originally for use with my Z3. Living in Wyoming I may go a month or even months not driving the roadster, so the tender was a necessity. The BMW tender is quick and easy, plugging into the car's cigarette lighter. I now use it also on my Z4 and even on my X3. I was a non-believer as to the need for it with the X3 until Wyoming went through its gawd-awful fall/winter this past year with constant temps down around single digit or worse. I often walk to work so even my X3 can go for days without being driven. Got in the X3 after a week+ of those temps and just sitting, tried starting it up and it barely started, and the clock and all similar items needed resetting. Talked to the BMW folks and they told me use the tender also on the X3. So now whichever one is not being driven gets put on the tender.

Nice man, yeah i think ill go with the plug in lighter one. It's the best fit for what i need.
Thank you for the post. :thumbup:

Pinecone 03-28-2010 03:23 PM

BMW is the same as this: http://batterytender.com/automotive/...-at-1-25a.html

But with BMW logo and higher price (got to pay for the logo).

If you are just not driving for a few days or even a few weeks, you don't need one (or at least, you shouldn't need one). We have one on our Roadster over the winter, as it can go months without driving.

captaineddie 03-28-2010 06:44 PM

I use one that came from Harbor Freight [only $5.00] and it has worked great.

phrider 03-29-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaineddie (Post 5057122)
I use one that came from Harbor Freight [only $5.00] and it has worked great.

Given my experiences with Harbor Freight electrical and electronics, I definitely wouldn't leave that in or near my car.

Ron Stygar 03-29-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phrider (Post 5057725)
Given my experiences with Harbor Freight electrical and electronics, I definitely wouldn't leave that in or near my car.

:)

Bill_R 03-29-2010 08:04 AM

I bought a cheap knockoff, supposed to be "intelligent", battery maintainer in the fall of 2008. I hooked it up to the battery in November and looked forward to a happy battery in the spring. In March I had a dead battery that had been boiled dry!:mad:

This past winter I just hooked up my regular charger for a day or so every month. I gave the "intelligent" unit to my son to keep his motorcycle battery up to snuff, with warnings to not leave it hooked up.

It seems that not all of these maintainers are created equal.:dunno:

Pinecone 03-29-2010 05:55 PM

There is a REASON I recommend the Battery Tender and Battery Minder.

My Battery Minder has been on me generator battery for over 5 YEARS.

bob lindquist 03-30-2010 03:14 AM

Tender

How about 8 years on the original battery! Thats from using the Battery Tender.:thumbup:

inTgr8r 03-30-2010 06:22 AM

+1 for Battery Tender
I wouldn't use anything else.