Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   528i will be auto-only for the US (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449440)

Robert A 04-18-2010 11:52 AM

528i will be auto-only for the US
 
I guess we should all be thankful that manual transmission cars are available at all. Still, it's a disappointment that the most basic 5 series cannot be had with the most basic transmission.

mdsbuc 04-18-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5113580)
I guess we should all be thankful that manual transmission cars are available at all. Still, it's a disappointment that the most basic 5 series cannot be had with the most basic transmission.

+1 I'd really like them to change their minds about this.

PhillyNate 04-18-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5113580)
I guess we should all be thankful that manual transmission cars are available at all. Still, it's a disappointment that the most basic 5 series cannot be had with the most basic transmission.

Especially since I read the N52 engine in it is rated at 240 horsepower and 230 lb. feet of torque.

BMW_F1 04-18-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyNate (Post 5114196)
Especially since I read the N52 engine in it is rated at 240 horsepower and 230 lb. feet of torque.

The official numbers for the N52 3.0L is 258hp and 228 lb-ft of torque.

Robert A 04-19-2010 08:53 AM

The 528i press release quotes 240hp.

They banter about this $1,400 price decrease, which is all well and good. But if you want a sport suspension, I believe you now have to pony up quite a bit by purchasing two costly packages. I personally could do without the adjustable suspension.


Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_F1 (Post 5114807)
The official numbers for the N52 3.0L is 258hp and 228 lb-ft of torque.


kimluk 04-19-2010 09:28 AM

No 6-Speed MT
 
Is it confirmed by BMWNA? Will it be available next year? I really want a 528i with manual.

Robert A 04-19-2010 09:30 AM

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375686

mdsbuc 04-19-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5115726)

Active steering not available either. :thumbdwn:

masku 04-19-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5115726)

It's not clear that MT will not be offered. The Press Release says that 8-spd Auto will be standard, but it's still possible that the MT will be available as an option.

Robert A 04-19-2010 04:44 PM

Not a big loss. I have it on my 530i, and could easily do without it. For me, the less gadgets, the better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsbuc (Post 5116869)
Active steering not available either. :thumbdwn:


mdsbuc 04-20-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5117038)
Not a big loss. I have it on my 530i, and could easily do without it. For me, the less gadgets, the better.

I have no problem with your opinion. In the past you had the option of ordering it or not. If you don't care for it, don't order it. That's fine. But now the option is no longer there for those that like it.

Robert A 04-20-2010 11:20 AM

I'm all in favor of as much choice as possible. At one time, I complained loudly that BMW Individual should be offered in the US.

The matter that BMW probably as to deal with is the fixed cost of simply offering a given choice. For example, Active Steering was offered in most 3 series models for a long time, but how many cars were imported with AS? Given the low demand, what does it cost BMW to keep those parts in supply?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsbuc (Post 5118318)
I have no problem with your opinion. In the past you had the option of ordering it or not. If you don't care for it, don't order it. That's fine. But now the option is no longer there for those that like it.


mdsbuc 04-20-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5119174)
I'm all in favor of as much choice as possible. At one time, I complained loudly that BMW Individual should be offered in the US.

The matter that BMW probably as to deal with is the fixed cost of simply offering a given choice. For example, Active Steering was offered in most 3 series models for a long time, but how many cars were imported with AS? Given the low demand, what does it cost BMW to keep those parts in supply?

Unless the parts necessary for AS in the 528i are different than they would be for the 535i, I don't think that's an issue. I don't know, maybe they are?

Robert A 04-20-2010 03:18 PM

I imagine there are some differences.

Just to give an example of how complex auto parts are, a number of different models featuring the N52 3.0 liter, 255hp motor have the exact same manual transmission. But every one of those models has a different shift linkage.

RichReg 04-20-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masku (Post 5116937)
It's not clear that MT will not be offered. The Press Release says that 8-spd Auto will be standard, but it's still possible that the MT will be available as an option.

I have to agree here....this just doesn't make any sense.

Why would BMWNA go out of their way to make manual transmissions available for every model EXCEPT the lowest one? :dunno:

If its true, it would be unprecedented. In Europe and abroad, BMW has even been known in the past to make manual transmissions available for certain lower 7 Series models (let alone the 5), while intentionally making them unavailable for the higher ones.
I'm speechless.....:eeps:

Robert A 04-20-2010 07:58 PM

Perhaps because MT cars are generally associated with people who want more performance-oriented cars? Not me, but then I'm not the norm either.

Remember also that every engine/transmission combination has to be EPA certified, and BMWNA might have chosen to eliminate the slowest seller.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichReg (Post 5120534)

Why would BMWNA go out of their way to make manual transmissions available for every model EXCEPT the lowest one? :dunno:


AzNMpower32 04-20-2010 09:38 PM

This is why I want to move to Germany or Europe. I know the day is not far off, when BMW will only offer each model with 2 engine choices, 3 option packages, and one transmission.

Robert A 04-20-2010 11:18 PM

The E34 was (through most of its life) offered with two engine choices six colors and no sport suspension. Comparatively speaking, our choices today are vastly better.

Home market cars are always better, but in the case of Germany, quite a bit more expensive.

Mynoles1 04-21-2010 03:54 PM

There has been a trade show going on at the MGM Grand the last few days with BMW/vendors and I had my friend who supports them ask one of the BMWNA guys at their booth if MT was going to be available in the US. He said yes.

Now this BMW guy may not know jack, but that is what he said.

bimmerfan3 04-25-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5121091)
This is why I want to move to Germany or Europe. I know the day is not far off, when BMW will only offer each model with 2 engine choices, 3 option packages, and one transmission.

But you can get BMW's or any car for that matter a lot cheaper in the US.

hubinthewheel 05-31-2010 06:40 AM

very disappointed on no MT
 
My current drive is a 2005 525i with MT. Before that a 2001 525i with MT. I'm a lady who likes to really drive her BMW and so I choose the MT. I was so looking forward this year to a new 528i but now I am putting my plans on hold until BMW figures out they have made a mistake (or even better I find out that they in fact will offer the 528i with MT). Anyway, I love love love my current 525i so if I keep her for a while, no problem.

pharding 05-31-2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert A (Post 5120021)
I imagine there are some differences.

Just to give an example of how complex auto parts are, a number of different models featuring the N52 3.0 liter, 255hp motor have the exact same manual transmission. But every one of those models has a different shift linkage.

It is not like parts are made just for the US market. They are made for world wide markets. Stocking parts is part of the car business. Why is it that Germans get better choices than we in the US? BMW NA is way too limiting in choices that US BMW Enthusiasts are permitted to make. Breadth of our interior options sucks in relation to those available elsewhere in the world. We get M-sport suspension 3 years late if at all. The US market is treated like second class citizens in terms of real choices by the customer on options. Plus the Sport Package is anything but that. It is just an aesthetic package without any true sport components. BMW NA needs to get in tune with what BMW Enthusiasts are looking for.

AzNMpower32 05-31-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharding (Post 5224370)
It is not like parts are made just for the US market. They are made for world wide markets. Stocking parts is part of the car business. Why is it that Germans get better choices than we in the US? BMW NA is way too limiting in choices that US BMW Enthusiasts are permitted to make. Breadth of our interior options sucks in relation to those available elsewhere in the world. We get M-sport suspension 3 years late if at all. The US market is treated like second class citizens in terms of real choices by the customer on options. Plus the Sport Package is anything but that. It is just an aesthetic package without any true sport components. BMW NA needs to get in tune with what BMW Enthusiasts are looking for.

There needs to be cost-cutting in order to make selling BMWs in the US even slightly possible. In the US, we pay a lot less and get a lot more standard equipment. In addition, Americans and dealers don't like having a full plethora of options because most Americans buy off the lot and don't order special options; dealers don't want the headache of hand selecting from 263 option choices.

It's simply market preferences that dictate BMW NA's behaviour.

raleedy 05-31-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5225140)
There needs to be cost-cutting in order to make selling BMWs in the US even slightly possible. In the US, we pay a lot less and get a lot more standard equipment. In addition, Americans and dealers don't like having a full plethora of options because most Americans buy off the lot and don't order special options; dealers don't want the headache of hand selecting from 263 option choices.

It's simply market preferences that dictate BMW NA's behaviour.

They could make the stick an Individual option as they have done with certain other options. But I think BMW NA and the dealers like to sell from inventory. I also expect the 528i 8 Speed to put up stunning numbers for fuel economy while a stick would likely not even equal a 535i automatic in this cycle. It looks as if those of us who want a normally aspirated six with a stick may have to wait -- and hope -- for the F30.

soledoc 06-01-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raleedy (Post 5225638)
It looks as if those of us who want a normally aspirated six with a stick may have to wait -- and hope -- for the F30.

What's the F30 going to be?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms