Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports, Racing & Track (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Learning from others mistakes (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45208)

PunchIt 11-05-2003 01:29 PM

Learning from others mistakes

Can we get a clip of the week going? Possibly one where someone was on the track/auto-x and did something very right, or wrong in a difficult situation and either saved the car or crashed. That way we can discuss it and learn from it. There is a clip right now on the off-topic board that shows someone crashing their E36. I thought maybe we could start with it.

Maybe we can make it a sticky, and each week change it to a different video.

SergioK 11-05-2003 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunchIt
Can we get a clip of the week going? Possibly one where someone was on the track/auto-x and did something very right, or wrong in a difficult situation and either saved the car or crashed. That way we can discuss it and learn from it. There is a clip right now on the off-topic board that shows someone crashing their E36. I thought maybe we could start with it.

Maybe we can make it a sticky, and each week change it to a different video.

I got lots of clips... where do I post 'em???

SergioK 11-05-2003 02:07 PM

BTW, that clip in the OT forum doesn't show enough of the previous turns.

Shifting at the apex?!?!? Crazy IMO.

I only see one hand on the steering wheel, bad hand positioning.

I went ahead and downloaded both the 28mb and the 49mb vid clip of him going around the track. The 28mb has the crash on it.

Anyway, you can easily tell from the larger vid clip that the conditions are wet. He was breaking the rear end loose quite a bit.

PunchIt 11-05-2003 02:27 PM

Post it here

I would say post one here, and maybe one of the Moderators can make it a sticky for a while.

Moderators, is that possible?

TGray5 11-05-2003 05:13 PM

Quote:

I would say post one here, and maybe one of the Moderators can make it a sticky for a while.

Moderators, is that possible?

I like the idea...perhaps we can keep this thread going with people posting videos of mistakes/crashes and/or narrative of mistakes they've made/learned from. What do you guys think? If there's some interest, I'll make this sticky.
:thumbup:

JonW 11-05-2003 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StahlGrauM3
I like the idea...perhaps we can keep this thread going with people posting videos of mistakes/crashes and/or narrative of mistakes they've made/learned from. What do you guys think? If there's some interest, I'll make this sticky.
:thumbup:

Sound like a good idea to me. :thumbup:

PunchIt 11-05-2003 09:45 PM

Doesn't look too too bad

If you look at the "after" images he has. The car doesn't seem to be in that bad a shape.
Well, at least not as bad as I would have thought.

http://nevr2qk.carlc.com/events/031101hst/AFTER/IMAGES/

SergioK 11-05-2003 10:01 PM

Quote:

If you look at the "after" images he has. The car doesn't seem to be in that bad a shape.
Well, at least not as bad as I would have thought.

http://nevr2qk.carlc.com/events/031101hst/AFTER/IMAGES/

True, it seems to be more bodywork damage than frame damage.

SergioK 11-05-2003 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The HACK
Looks like the tire wall absorbed a lot of the energy of the impact.

Yup, and if he had done his recon laps, he would have noticed those tires. They don't put them haphazardly of the side of the track, that's for sure!

PunchIt 11-06-2003 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sergiok
True, it seems to be more bodywork damage than frame damage.

I agree. In the picture with the pile of parts they are all just covers. Bumper cover, fender liners and a few trim type parts. Only real damage is on the left rear wheel. Something broke to bend it out that far.

PunchIt 11-06-2003 09:16 AM

Quote:

I got lots of clips... where do I post 'em???

Want to post one?

PunchIt 11-06-2003 09:41 AM

Quote:

BTW, that clip in the OT forum doesn't show enough of the previous turns.

Shifting at the apex?!?!? Crazy IMO.

I only see one hand on the steering wheel, bad hand positioning.

I went ahead and downloaded both the 28mb and the 49mb vid clip of him going around the track. The 28mb has the crash on it.

Anyway, you can easily tell from the larger vid clip that the conditions are wet. He was breaking the rear end loose quite a bit.

Yup! Watched the larger file. One hand on the wheel, using slicks AFAI can tell from the photos.

edit: rewatched the larger file and now think it is a 5 spd. But that doesn't change my opinion of having two hands on the wheel or the use of his racing slicks in the rain vs. his street tires.

Don't mean to fault the instructor, and don't want to assume anything, but this guy seemed like he was relatively new to this. I would think the instructor should be talking a lot more. If not telling him which line to take (wet vs. dry) but at least tell him to put both F'ing hands on the wheel. It almost looks as if he is out for a Sunday drive.

but that is just my $.02, and that doesn't mean to much. :dunno:

SergioK 11-06-2003 10:10 AM

Quote:

It almost looks as if he is out for a Sunday drive

My thoughts exactly.

binaryfarms 11-06-2003 11:23 AM

The learn from others mistakes thread is a great idea!

I can't believe that he repeatedly lets loose of the wheel and lets it spin back to recenter it, has to correct for it, and the instuctor never says a thing about it!

SergioK 11-06-2003 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binaryfarms
The learn from others mistakes thread is a great idea!

I can't believe that he repeatedly lets loose of the wheel and lets it spin back to recenter it, has to correct for it, and the instuctor never says a thing about it!

Yeah, talk about too much steering input!

SergioK 11-06-2003 02:53 PM

Quote:

Want to post one?

Have you seen the famous Subaru rollover at Lime Rock video clip?

Galun 11-06-2003 03:42 PM

Looked like he ran onto the rumble strips, which must be slick in rainy conditions. I think he lost traction in his two right wheels on the wet slippery strip while his two left wheels still had traction on the track. It looked like the car was okay then all of a sudden pulled very hard to the right.

Galun 11-06-2003 03:42 PM

Quote:

Have you seen the famous Subaru rollover at Lime Rock video clip?

No, can you post the video or a link?

kster 11-06-2003 04:13 PM

I have a number of track videos with spins and/or crashes. If someone can host them, I'll make them available.

SergioK 11-06-2003 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kster
I have a number of track videos with spins and/or crashes. If someone can host them, I'll make them available.

I can host... email or PM me with the file info.

SergioK 11-06-2003 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galun
No, can you post the video or a link?

Here's another one... what did this guy do wrong?

Andy 11-06-2003 09:14 PM

Quote:

Yup! Watched the larger file. One hand on the wheel, using slicks AFAI can tell from the photos.

edit: rewatched the larger file and now think it is a 5 spd. But that doesn't change my opinion of having two hands on the wheel or the use of his racing slicks in the rain vs. his street tires.

Don't mean to fault the instructor, and don't want to assume anything, but this guy seemed like he was relatively new to this. I would think the instructor should be talking a lot more. If not telling him which line to take (wet vs. dry) but at least tell him to put both F'ing hands on the wheel. It almost looks as if he is out for a Sunday drive.

but that is just my $.02, and that doesn't mean to much. :dunno:

This happened to m3lieb over at bimmerforums.com. Here is his story...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=146048

elbert 11-06-2003 10:14 PM

Quote:

Here's another one... what did this guy do wrong?

He went into the corner too fast and realized it too late. He lifted or hit the brakes, causing oversteer.

As for the car flipping, it's hard to tell, but I think the car slid sideways into the grass. The irregularites in the ground "catches" the tires, and caused the car to flip. I know there is achicane somewhere around there that isn't always used (ie extra pavement), but I think it is slightly further down the track.

SergioK 11-06-2003 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbert
He went into the corner too fast and realized it too late. He lifted or hit the brakes, causing oversteer.

Yup!

He was following the Porsche in front of him... thus he took the turn too fast and way too early!

PunchIt 11-07-2003 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
This happened to m3lieb over at bimmerforums.com. Here is his story...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=146048

Thanks Andy