Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Harmon Kardon Speaker System (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457738)

Calskanska 05-23-2010 02:54 AM

Harmon Kardon Speaker System
 
Is the Harman Kardon speaker upgrade actually worth the $875 cost?

fermat1313 05-23-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calskanska (Post 5204298)
Is the Harman Kardon speaker upgrade actually worth the $875 cost?

I haven't heard the base system, but my 2011 HK system is quite good. I'm very happy with the sound. I would say for $875 it's well worth it.

Steve

tonmonde 05-24-2010 11:53 AM

anything is better than the base

AzNMpower32 05-24-2010 12:25 PM

If you listen mostly to radio or talk shows, you can skip it. Otherwise I'd suggest getting the upgrade.

tredirtyfive 05-24-2010 01:17 PM

I could be wrong but I heard that the Hi-Fi system always was HK and they decided to brand label it now...

motobman 05-27-2010 07:47 PM

Soon to be new, 2011 135i Coupe...
 
Hi Folks...
Supposedly, my new 2011 135 is in Los Angeles and should be here in a week or two.

So excited and all I ordered with it was: M Sport Package and Surround Harmon Kardon system... Thats it.

Cant wait and I will let you know what I think. All I listen to is the radio and cd's.....

Previous car was a 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe with a great stereo... Sounded awesome.


Have a great weekend all,



Moto
:thumbup:

motobman 06-06-2010 11:33 AM

Yah, it's worth it.
 
Very nice sound and never heard the stock system. Not really liking the actual radio and buttons, but need to play with it more. Love the sound and well worth the money... :thumbup:

djscottya 06-07-2010 10:32 AM

Can you switch the standard sound to Harman Kardon?
 
Does Anyone know if you can or how hard is it to switch out the standard system in a 2011 to the Harman Kardon System?

I have been looking to get a new 2011 335i coupe but the ones I found at the price range have the standard system and everyone seems to think it is no good. I was thinking I could get the parts and install in my self or have someone else do it. Does anyone have any info or advice on that? I would assume the wiring is all the same just different speakers and amps etc.

Any help would be great.

Scott-

fermat1313 06-07-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djscottya (Post 5241737)
Does Anyone know if you can or how hard is it to switch out the standard system in a 2011 to the Harman Kardon System?

I have been looking to get a new 2011 335i coupe but the ones I found at the price range have the standard system and everyone seems to think it is no good. I was thinking I could get the parts and install in my self or have someone else do it. Does anyone have any info or advice on that? I would assume the wiring is all the same just different speakers and amps etc.

Any help would be great.

Scott-

If you could get all the pieces, and if this didn't require some type of computer update, you would probably pay more than for the upgrade? Why not get one the way you want from the factory? Even if you can't find one in stock, stuff like that is why I think it's worth taking the time to order (and pick up in Germany!) a car exactly to your specifications.

Steve

BMWFTW91 06-07-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calskanska (Post 5204298)
Is the Harman Kardon speaker upgrade actually worth the $875 cost?

I think it's worth it, especially with the new crappy stock sound systems in the newer Bmw's.

It's a shame that Bmw actually downgraded their Stock Sound System because the one on my 2006 325i sounds amazing. :)

dorkus 06-25-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 (Post 5242325)
It's a shame that Bmw actually downgraded their Stock Sound System because the one on my 2006 325i sounds amazing. :)

hm interesting - i had heard the first E90's had great stock systems (unlike my E46, which has a pretty wimpy stock system), a pity if they downgraded it. do you know exactly what they downgraded?

SpeedRacer51 07-07-2011 11:37 AM

Def worth it. I came from a 335i 2008 "upgraded" sound system and this new system put it to shame. No point of comparisson. Rich and powerful are the two words i will use to describe it. I listen to more house/progressive/club music. Powerful base, no distortion, great surround sound. Recommend the upgrade and the $875 cost.

jatbeni 07-08-2011 07:25 AM

The stock system definitely sucks!!! I can tell you that, because I have the stock one. But it does not bother me that much, as I mostly listen to radio...

And I have heard the upgraded one. It is much nicer... bust still does not compare to the one I have in the Range Rover - which absolutely rocks.

ECSTuning 08-04-2011 11:36 AM

The HK system is worth it.

Great sound!

greengoose 08-09-2011 09:17 PM

As somecone else said, it is soooo worth it for playing music on your ipod or cd - sound is very clean and crisp. However if you mainly listen to radio, I would not bother. As part of the premium sound package here in Canada, we get satellite radio with the HK system, but as much as I love sat radio for the music sound quality pales in comparison to when I'm playing mp3s off my ipod.....like night and day...

nathan_h 08-10-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fermat1313 (Post 5241853)
If you could get all the pieces, and if this didn't require some type of computer update, you would probably pay more than for the upgrade? Why not get one the way you want from the factory? Even if you can't find one in stock, stuff like that is why I think it's worth taking the time to order (and pick up in Germany!) a car exactly to your specifications.

Steve

My dealer was adamant they couldn't add the HK system after the fact. This makes some sense since in part the system hardware isn't just the head unit or the speakers but the location of the tweeters is totally different (window columns instead of on the door).

nathan_h 08-10-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fermat1313 (Post 5204532)
I haven't heard the base system, but my 2011 HK system is quite good. I'm very happy with the sound. I would say for $875 it's well worth it.

Steve

Note that the price is actually more like $1500 since the HK system requires you to get BMW connect/bluetooth. Still a good deal, considering what you could get after market for $1500, but not quite as cheap as just the HK option alone would suggest.

That said, I definitely wanted bluetooth. And didn't mind the idea of paying a bit for that. But the BMW connect is something I would not have purchased. (Maybe I'll change my mind if I get locked out or have an accident, and it comes in handy).

nathan_h 08-10-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedRacer51 (Post 6176729)
Def worth it. I came from a 335i 2008 "upgraded" sound system and this new system put it to shame. No point of comparisson. Rich and powerful are the two words i will use to describe it. I listen to more house/progressive/club music. Powerful base, no distortion, great surround sound. Recommend the upgrade and the $875 cost.

Yep, I spent a bit of time sitting in two different cars, hearing the stock versus the HK system, and it was night and day. Even with the required add on (bluetooth) bringing the cost to c $1500, if you are a music person, it's a very worthwhile upgrade.

Lynn_128i 08-10-2011 10:08 PM

I never sat in the car with the HK System but the base system in my car with the HD Radio is 100X better than the Boss base radio in my Acura RSX that I just traded in for my BMW 128i. I do wish the radio was easier to use and wish I got the idrive Navigation system but I am enjoying how clear the radio sounds and so much better than my other car. Since I am leasing for three years, if I end up loving my car so much, I will lease or buy a new BMW 128i with the idrive Navigation and maybe the upgraded system after I listen to it to see how much better it is but for now the base is so much better than what I used to have.

nathan_h 08-11-2011 05:33 AM

Why do you wish you got the navigation system? It seems overpriced for what it is. For $500 you can get an aftermarket nav system that is better than the $2k option.

Even the BMW branded add on is a better value: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Lynn_128i 08-11-2011 06:50 AM

When I was driving to my hair dresser (she lives almost 24 miles away), the gas tank lit up. I hadn't bought gas in over 2 weeks since I bought the car and was trying to get down to a 1/8 tank to figure out the mpg since I thought the more gas used in the calculation, the more accurate it would be. But I should have filled my tank at 1/4 full. I think for now on, I am not letting the tank fall below 1/2 since it was scary not knowing where a gas station was on the way there so I could not look or I would have been late. Then I had to follow her directions to find a gas station since I left my Garmin home (feeling I knew the way to my hair dresser by heart so why would I need it) and I was down to 8 miles left until I needed gas! I had to go on that road with construction which bothered me since I could not take a chance on running out and then it also cost me $4.07 9/10 a gallon! I have not bought premium gas in 8.25 years so I was shocked that it cost $52 to fill my tank. Then after seeing how when I was driving it started to tell me how many miles per gallon I was using on the highway, I was wishing I had the idrive system to check on the gas left, the mpg on the average I was using and other features and to always have NAV at hand since I get lost a lot.

I guess I will keep the Garmin locked in my trunk at all times in case I need it and read the manual to learn how to figure out these miles per gallon features without the idrive.

Thanks for the link but since I already bought the bean bag mat (my 2nd mat since the first one kept sliding all the slanted dash) and the $299 Garmin 2460 LMT, I will just learn to keep it in the car. I always am afraid that a portable one with brackets left in the car will have me robbed versus a Nav in the dash will not be robbed. But maybe I am wrong?

nathan_h 08-11-2011 07:13 AM

I think you are right. Although I can't quantify how much more likely a detachable nav unit is to be stolen, it clearly is easier to remove than one that is built in -- and since it sounds like you would make use of several other idrive features, I can see where you are coming from.

thumper_330 08-11-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan_h (Post 6248194)
Why do you wish you got the navigation system? It seems overpriced for what it is. For $500 you can get an aftermarket nav system that is better than the $2k option.

Even the BMW branded add on is a better value: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I would say because iDrive is integrated with the car and does a whole hell of a lot more than just navigation. Even using an iPod is made easier with the iDrive. That's mostly why I went ahead and optioned it on my ordered 135.

nathan_h 08-11-2011 05:56 PM

Good point. I jumped to the assumption she was just after navigation.

iwanna330cic 08-11-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calskanska (Post 5204298)
Is the Harman Kardon speaker upgrade actually worth the $875 cost?

Yes it is. The surround sound quality and customizable frequency mixer are more than quite acceptable. Are there other after market systems that are more powerful and create different results, but so what? Get it - you won't be sorry. (much nicer interface and control with the idrive option)

Doug


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms