Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   What are the disadvantages of the X5d? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460873)

Gian 06-06-2010 08:50 PM

What are the disadvantages of the X5d?

I have been researching X5s on various websites and most of the X5d buyers have nothing but praise for the 2010-2011 diesel engine. I am about to purchase, but I want to get all of the facts.

Can someone summarize the various disadvantages of getting a diesel engine?

Thanks.

Marlbro 06-07-2010 01:10 AM

there aren't any now they have gotten the delivery approvals

hsindogg 06-07-2010 05:11 AM

The diesel requires refilling of the urea reservoir appromixmately every 10,000 miles. Also, depending on where you live, diesel gas may be substantially higher than the premium octane in your area (but you get more gas mileage per gallon).

jdibber 06-07-2010 05:54 AM

diesel fuel not available at all gas stations

engine not as quiet as other gas engines

Marlbro 06-07-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdibber (Post 5241213)
diesel fuel not available at all gas stations

engine not as quiet as other gas engines

Yes, you guys over there are not so use to diesel as we are. We can buy Diesel as easy as Gas as you call it.

We don't have that Urea tank. I've read some posts on that needing filling, is that something to do with your emmisions ??? (we don't have that)

Diesel cars are noisier than Gas engines.
Yes, but not that noticable from inside the car (maybe from outside) but the torque is much more, and the distance to empty about 40% better.
and I think Diesel Engines last longer, and need less maintainance.

But a V8 still sounds much better !

UncleJ 06-07-2010 07:06 AM

Gian, diesel fuel is not always more expensive than premium. For example here in NoCal diesel is cheaper than regular right now. This does fluctuate and there can be big differences between stations, even those right across the street from each other. You also become adept at finding good stations with diesel and never letting your tank get below about a third full. They are not for everyone, my wife gets sick from the smell, but I love them and have had both cars and boats with diesel engines.

0428 06-07-2010 07:12 AM

"For example here in NoCal diesel is cheaper than regular right now"

Who puts regular gas into a X5 anyways? Compare it to premium please.

Beemersn 06-07-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0428 (Post 5241346)
"For example here in NoCal diesel is cheaper than regular right now"

Who puts regular gas into a X5 anyways? Compare it to premium please.

last time I checked, premium between 20 to 30 cents per gallon higher than regular.

2010X535D 06-07-2010 08:20 AM

The only issue I have with my X5d is sometimes when you punch it off the line there is significant turbo lag. I've taken to slightly brake torquing the SUV to get it across multiple lanes of traffic in a hurry. I never notice it in regular driving, and the 35i may have the same issue, but I haven't driven one to know. Overall I love the car and would definitely buy another one. Finding diesel is not a problem in AZ and from what I've seen in CA it's usually cheaper than regular unleaded.

Also, after about 6 months with ours the only option I would pass on is the comfort access. It's very random compared to our 6 series. My favorite option is the comfort seats, I wouldn't buy one with out them, they are great. Good luck with your decision.

Gian 06-07-2010 10:17 AM

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. What about oil changes and the Urea. Any problems there? Can anyone do it?

SoCalCFP 06-07-2010 10:21 AM

we just picked up a 2011 X5 35d and it is great. no disadvantages what so ever. we sold an Escalade getting 12 mpg and the 35d is averageing 22 mpg, mostly city driving.

hsindogg 06-07-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gian (Post 5241704)
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. What about oil changes and the Urea. Any problems there? Can anyone do it?

Seems like adding the urea is pretty easy to do.

See this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=459473

Also, I think there are multiple threads about what the BMW recommended oil is so that you can buy it cheaper than at the dealer.

Remember though, the X5 comes with free 4 year/50,000 mile scheduled maintenance. So your scheduled oil changes should be free. Most people seem to do a 3,000 mile oil change at their own expense to free any particles during the break in period though.

UncleJ 06-07-2010 11:24 AM

+1! With a full OEM warranty and "free" maintentance you would be doing yourself a disservice to do any work on the car yourself IMHO. Why give BMW a chance to deny warranty work because the work you did "caused" the problem? The mid-term (at your expense) oil change should be done by the dealer (remember, the diesels are new and not all the indy's are up to speed on them--for that matter the dealer service departments are still learning too) so if there are any problems there will be no question about fixing things. After 50K miles, if you still have the car, you can start the DIY projects! A bottle of DEF and to know where to put it might be a very useful thing to have in your car however. Just in case.:angel:

UncleJ 06-07-2010 11:30 AM

0428, that comparo was done only as a benchmark price, not a recommendation that you should use "regular" in your X5. However if you have to you can use it with no damage to your engine, just a slight loss of performance. Regular runs about 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper than Premium around here, and diesel is cheaper than regular (sometimes).:D

santo 06-07-2010 02:17 PM

I'm not sure if this is still the case with the 35i but as I read here, the 30i didn't have an oil dipstick. The 35d does and I did hear from a mechanic friend of mine that he prefers cars to have dipsticks.

Can anyone confirm if a 35i has an oil dipstick?

E60 550i 06-08-2010 11:45 AM

Can't find one and owners manual doesn't mention one. Says to check Vehicle Status section of the Idrive.

j11398 06-08-2010 04:36 PM

Most diesel stations in the philly pa area are fairly dirty (you get grime on your shoes) when compared to gas pumps

///M Blitz 06-09-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gian (Post 5240873)
I have been researching X5s on various websites and most of the X5d buyers have nothing but praise for the 2010-2011 diesel engine. I am about to purchase, but I want to get all of the facts.

Can someone summarize the various disadvantages of getting a diesel engine?

Thanks.

One huge disadvantage is the additional fuel cost. My fuel cost has gone through the roof, even though diesel is cheaper than gas here in SoCal and the X5 gets much better mileage than my previous DD.

I'm told that it has something to do with the fact that I find myself driving much more than I used to for no other reason than this is such a fun vehicle to just drive anywhere for no particular reason. Taking the long way anywhere, repeatedly, apparently increases fuel cost.:dunno:

Gian 06-10-2010 01:35 PM

I have test driven both the x5d and the 35i and I must say that I favored the x5d. I guess it's the torque. :dunno:

However, the residual value seems to be less with the diesels than with the gas versions. Hmmm. Why is that? Is diesel here to stay? Can someone provide a link to the actual sales figures for the x5 models?

Thanks.

0428 06-10-2010 02:45 PM

http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2010/...economics-102/

Looking at the chart, YTD is 5800 gas vs 3200 diesel. Now add the V8 and the M to the mix, the X5 model sales YTD might look like this: 7500 gas vs 3200 diesel. The diesel's got a long way to go........

hsindogg 06-10-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0428 (Post 5250289)
http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2010/...economics-102/

Looking at the chart, YTD is 5800 gas vs 3200 diesel. Now add the V8 and the M to the mix, the X5 model sales YTD might look like this: 7500 gas vs 3200 diesel. The diesel's got a long way to go........

They said that about hybrids and electric cars a decade ago. Guess what's coming, Hybrid Diesels...:D

0428 06-10-2010 03:04 PM

I will get excited when the diesel gets 40+mpg combined.

georgejm 06-10-2010 03:36 PM

Choosing your engine brings up different issues from what each driver finds important, for example : we recycle (a little more work), we bring our own bags to the grocery store (a little more work), we try to buy energy efficient products as long as the sacrifice of doing so does not hinder the performance to a unsatisfactory level (a little more work). For us buying the diesel is like having your cake and eating it too. We get to enjoy the performance of a product like the X5 and burn less fuel and get better performance all the while having the feeling of it not being an energy hog. I like the taste of that cake but to each their own. Of course having a diesel may bring on a little bit of extra service but not much (a little more work). It's one of the easiest decisions we've ever made, wish they were all this easy.

georgejm 06-10-2010 03:39 PM

0428, pick your hands up, your knuckles are bleeding. :bigpimp: Just kidding, you get to choose too.

emcman 06-11-2010 03:37 PM

07 4.8 vs 10 35D

I have a V8 and not a six but at idle there is a bit more noise which I like but my wife noticed. The 35D gets up hill better than the V8 did as it alsways searched to a lot more rpm. This one just goes up it. Not slow to start as some said it would be. Great car.