Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   For those of you about to place an order... (September '10 Build Changes) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468964)

Aqua Bliss 07-14-2010 10:51 AM

For those of you about to place an order... (September '10 Build Changes)
 
1 Attachment(s)
May want to wait another month or so to get a September production. Starting with September production you will get (or have the option to get):

1) BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth - not sure exactly the feature-set of this.
2) Mobile Office - This is a really cool one, can view your Blackberry email and text messages on the Nav screen.
3) Bluetooth Music Streaming - Not many will utilize this.
4) iPod 6FL will have 1 wire integration (no more Y cable)
5) iPod 6FL Cover Art will show on the iDrive, can select iPod playback via voice (for example, "Play Coldplay"
6) Seems like Roof Rails will be removed as standard for 35i Premium and Sports Activity, and will be stand-alone options for $100
7) Heated Seats, Multi-Contour Seats, and Navigation are stand-alone options

PDF Bulletin is attached

aggie njneer 07-14-2010 11:06 AM

That sucks that our BMW Center cannot do a a "software" upgrade to get some of the features?

Newmanium 07-14-2010 12:00 PM

I'm delaying my order to get the updates - sounds like this is the new iPod interface, that will eventually allow for control of Pandora and such. That and the LED Corona rings were the 2 things I wanted most...

335i 07-14-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqua Bliss (Post 5324183)
May want to wait another month or so to get a September production. Starting with September production you will get (or have the option to get):

1) BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth - not sure exactly the feature-set of this.
2) Mobile Office - This is a really cool one, can view your Blackberry email and text messages on the Nav screen.
3) Bluetooth Music Streaming - Not many will utilize this.
4) iPod 6FL will have 1 wire integration (no more Y cable)
5) iPod 6FL Cover Art will show on the iDrive, can select iPod playback via voice (for example, "Play Coldplay"

6) Seems like Roof Rails will be removed as standard for 35i Premium and Sports Activity, and will be stand-alone options for $100
7) Heated Seats, Multi-Contour Seats, and Navigation are stand-alone options

PDF Bulletin is attached

I like my new X5.. but this stuff would be nice. Really nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie njneer (Post 5324216)
That sucks that our BMW Center cannot do a a "software" upgrade to get some of the features?

Agree. Why penalize early adopters of a product. :dunno:

Penguin 07-14-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie njneer (Post 5324216)
That sucks that our BMW Center cannot do a a "software" upgrade to get some of the features?


Well, if you believe the document BMW issued, the new features required a change in the hardware.

tommydogsdad 07-14-2010 12:28 PM

I wonder if with these new features, you could command your car to "NEVER Play Coldplay, EVER!" :D

aggie njneer 07-14-2010 12:34 PM

well. it sounds like some of the features should be only software related and not hardware. Maybe hope for the best!

Newmanium 07-14-2010 12:38 PM

It specifically says that the iPod changes are not retrofittable to pre-Sept builds, they're making hardware updates.

aggie njneer 07-14-2010 12:48 PM

forgot to clarify I meant the mobile office features. I'm sure BMW will raise the prices for the Sept production cars.

Aqua Bliss 07-14-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie njneer (Post 5324546)
forgot to clarify I meant the mobile office features. I'm sure BMW will raise the prices for the Sept production cars.

Typically they wouldn't raise the prices mid MY, but you never know, it's a decent feature set which could justify the increase. I bet if you order now and ask your CA to schedule a September production number for you, you won't suffer the increase...

bigrobb2 07-14-2010 04:23 PM

I'm pretty pissed about this one I use an Ipod and a blackberry for work :(

This really sucks for those that have a X5 in Prod and have not taken delivery yet.

At least they haven't changed to the LED headlamps yet.

Newmanium 07-14-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrobb2 (Post 5325058)
At least they haven't changed to the LED headlamps yet.

I wonder if they'll make that change at this time, but just haven't bothered to announce it. I'm thinking of taking delivery now rather than wait, but if the LED Corona rings were available by then, I'd be so miffed at not waiting.

Really wonder why they delayed the introduction of those, probably as simple as they have 5000 boxes left of the old headlights and had to use them up? LOL

aggie njneer 07-14-2010 04:44 PM

they probably had a contract with the supplier and wasn't planning on rolling out the 2011 models until early fall. I would figure for the new features after Sept as well.

53K 07-14-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newmanium (Post 5324383)
I'm delaying my order to get the updates - sounds like this is the new iPod interface, that will eventually allow for control of Pandora and such. That and the LED Corona rings were the 2 things I wanted most...

I am with you, Newmanium. I put in my order yesterday, and have just sent a request to my dealer for a September production. I think the new features are worth waiting for a couple months :)
Do you know if we can still get the current rates and eco credit, which are valid till 8/31, even for a September production?

Newmanium 07-14-2010 05:47 PM

Well, I'm now thinking of chickening out and not waiting... The Eco credit will be fine, you have to place an order by aug 31, take delivery within the next 2 months. I am going to use the 1000 credit from the ultimate drive, but that expires by sept 31, so I would prob lose that credit. 1000 for iPod looks is a bit much. But if the led coronas were available, that would be worth it for me. Wish I knew for sure.

53K 07-14-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newmanium (Post 5325222)
Well, I'm now thinking of chickening out and not waiting... The Eco credit will be fine, you have to place an order by aug 31, take delivery within the next 2 months. I am going to use the 1000 credit from the ultimate drive, but that expires by sept 31, so I would prob lose that credit. 1000 for iPod looks is a bit much. But if the led coronas were available, that would be worth it for me. Wish I knew for sure.

I am planning to attend the ultimate drive in a couple of weeks, just to get the $1000 credit (I recently found out about it). When did you go the event? Sounds like there is an expiration time once you get the credit.

Aqua Bliss 07-14-2010 06:05 PM

The credit expires September 31st for everyone. I went to the event in mid-June and got the credit email 1 week later.

swamyg1 07-14-2010 11:20 PM

Ugh just submitted a new build to my CA today. I can probably tell her to hold off.

I see just a couple of features that sound cool, like voice command, coverflow, Bluetooth streaming...

Is no y cane that big a deal? I don't use a blackberry so I don't care about mobile office. What about iPod out? Why wasn't that on the PDF? I use an iPhone so it sounds like these are features I would love.

Don't know what to do...

Marlbro 07-15-2010 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommydogsdad (Post 5324467)
I wonder if with these new features, you could command your car to "NEVER Play Coldplay, EVER!" :D


My car does that already !!!! I just don't load that music to the USB in the first place :bigpimp:


But seriously,
what modules would need to be replaced on a 2011 to make it do these things ?
I would think it would just be the C.E.M and a software update. a $1000 should take care of that if you really wanted it ???????

aggie njneer 07-15-2010 05:08 AM

Hopefully BMW will have an upgrade available in the near future.

thesmaz 07-15-2010 12:33 PM

I agree about there being an upgrade coming in the future. The only hardware changes I can see that would be needed would be a new BT module and possible a new center console USB plug and cable into the cars existing system, then a software upgrade much like adding the towing module. I wish this had been available when I ordered my 35d which is supposed to arrive next week.

aggie njneer 07-15-2010 12:37 PM

Hopefully just a software upgrade :)

samsonitep 07-15-2010 03:07 PM

Now if it they had LED angel eyes THEN I AM IN!!

otherwise I am not paying extra for random features..

swamyg1 07-15-2010 03:13 PM

Whew contacted my CA and was able to put my build on hold.

Would hate to be stuck with old tech!

swamyg1 07-17-2010 10:51 AM

Just heard back from my CA and this is what she said:
Quote:

The biggest change with the September production for the X5 is the extended bluetooth, which is in the Convenience Package. I don't expect the pricing to change. That gives you streaming music through bluetooth (instead having to be plugged in) and depending on your phone, email access, and voice control capabilities for external music devices.

Our next batch of production slots should be for the new system, build dates in early Sept. They should be available next week.
Looks like all of the features will be included with the convenience package at no additional cost. So glad I was able to hold out on my build for this... WooHoo!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms