Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Engine of the Year Awards (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471243)

Nh32010 07-20-2010 07:09 AM

Engine of the Year Awards
 
What doe these awards mean? Personally, I value 1) engine reliability, 2) cost of use/maintenace, and 3) performance the most. Do these awards, of which BMW is seemingly winning quite a few, reflect such values??

tturedraider 07-20-2010 07:45 AM

Yes they do.

raleedy 07-20-2010 08:01 AM

What awards? Where? From whom? For which engines?

Nh32010 07-20-2010 08:50 AM

Quote
Among the award-winning power units at the world's most renowned engine competition were both petrol and diesel engines ... The victorious quartet consisted of the in-line 6-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo, direct injection and VALVETRONIC used in such vehicles as the BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series...
Unquote

How is this 6-cyl Turbo (e.g. N54/N55) an award winning engine when this engine (or predessor) almost needed to be recalled due to major and widespread pump issues...?? Besides, the Turbo does not make an engine more reliable, in fact, there is a much higher chance that something breaks than an NA 6 liter.

Nh32010 07-20-2010 07:07 PM

Quote
In at least the US market, the N54 engine has been characterized by a very large number of High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) failures, leading to many BMW NA vehicle Lemon Law "buy backs" and reduced customer goodwill. On some engines the HPFP was replaced four times within the first few years of service. BMW has instituted a 10-year, 120,000-mile (190,000 km) warranty on the part, but only for 2007, 2008 and 2009 model year vehicles with the N54 engine. Other model years, to include 2009 models, continue to report HPFP failures.
Unquote

The above engine has won both the 2007 and 2008 International Engine of the Year Awards. What a joke award!

djfitter 07-20-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nh32010 (Post 5336547)
Quote
Among the award-winning power units at the world's most renowned engine competition were both petrol and diesel engines ... The victorious quartet consisted of the in-line 6-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo, direct injection and VALVETRONIC used in such vehicles as the BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series and BMW 5 Series...
Unquote

How is this 6-cyl Turbo (e.g. N54/N55) an award winning engine when this engine (or predessor) almost needed to be recalled due to major and widespread pump issues...?? Besides, the Turbo does not make an engine more reliable, in fact, there is a much higher chance that something breaks than an NA 6 liter.

Where was this written and by whom? Or are you making it up? :tsk:
For that matter you are offering up quotes with no links to the quotes. :tsk:

dj

quackbury 07-20-2010 09:22 PM

DJ's right. And I also fail to see what the OP's point is. From his sig, it appears he does not own a car with an N54 / N55. So why the post on the F10 board? Just general BMW bashing and trollishness?:dunno:

Are you saying you don't like the N54 / N55 engines? Or that you feel they are undeserving of the award? Or something else entirely?

enigma 07-21-2010 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfitter (Post 5338226)
Where was this written and by whom? Or are you making it up? :tsk:
For that matter you are offering up quotes with no links to the quotes. :tsk:

dj

How about doing a little bit of search?:google:

Instead of accusing him of making stuff up, just search "HPFP" on the 3er/5er/Z4 (N54 cars) forums, and you will see no shortage of people who've had multiple replacements of the HPFP.

Unless it was written by an official media outlet, it must not be true? :tsk:

jagass 07-21-2010 03:47 AM

A big YES man, they really do.

Munich77 07-21-2010 05:00 AM

I think the awards are based on an engineering perspective. Not on any real life reliability etc.

Nh32010 07-21-2010 06:53 AM

Quotes are from WIKEPEDIA, search for BMW N54.

Nh32010 07-21-2010 06:54 AM

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N54

djfitter 07-21-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma (Post 5338893)
How about doing a little bit of search?:google:

Instead of accusing him of making stuff up, just search "HPFP" on the 3er/5er/Z4 (N54 cars) forums, and you will see no shortage of people who've had multiple replacements of the HPFP.

Unless it was written by an official media outlet, it must not be true? :tsk:

I didn't accuse anybody of anything, I asked for a reference for his source of information. :dunno: And I don't need a NOOB or you to tell me about the HPFP issue. At least I have one. :tsk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nh32010 (Post 5339041)

Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous Internet volunteers who write without pay. Anyone with Internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles
That means anybody can throw crap in there and call it gospel. Not necessarily the best source of information.
Quoting Wikipedia is fine for what it is but that is not the information I questioned.

"How is this 6-cyl Turbo (e.g. N54/N55) an award winning engine when this engine (or predessor) almost needed to be recalled due to major and widespread pump issues...

Did you see the part in BOLD, That's what you made up. It is mentioned NOWHERE in your WIKI reference.

And Quit Shouting.

dj

Nh32010 07-21-2010 08:53 AM

@DJFitter:

And what's your point???

I am questioning the '07 and '08 awards for the N54 engine since this engine experienced apparent HPFP issues (you yourself had one as you stated).

If you have a comment with substance, please bring forward, otherwise save your crap to yourself.

djfitter 07-21-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nh32010 (Post 5339290)
@DJFitter:

And what's your point???

I am questioning the '07 and '08 awards for the N54 engine since this engine experienced apparent HPFP issues (you yourself had one as you stated).

If you have a comment with substance, please bring forward, otherwise save your crap to yourself.

Again you don't address what I questioned. You made this comment and I asked you to back it up with whatever led you to make the comment. If you can't give some data backing it up, YOU must have made it up. There have been NO statistics given on how many pumps have failed so how do you know anything about a potential recall due to this issue?
You also throw the N55 in the mix and it didn't exist in '07 or '08 so who is offering up the CRAP. :tsk:

"How is this 6-cyl Turbo (e.g. N54/N55) an award winning engine when this engine (or predessor) almost needed to be recalled due to major and widespread pump issues..."

dj

TMQ 07-21-2010 12:23 PM

IMO these engine awards are only about performance or efficiency. There's nothing about reliability/value that's taken into account, because to have such information you have to have a reasonable amount of history.

BMW wins some these awards because they produce excellent motors, but it's too early to know if the new ones will last, especially with BMW's 15K mile oil change program.

Nh32010 07-21-2010 12:28 PM

@DJFitter

Dude, look up "N54 HPFP failures" under this/F10 forums and the net, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of threads you will find.

But even better, do yourself and me a favor, and move on. If you are still not getting what I'm referring to (having noted more than once what I am questioning), than I can't help you.

djfitter 07-21-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nh32010 (Post 5339949)
@DJFitter

Dude, look up "N54 HPFP failures" under this/F10 forums and the net, you will be overwhelmed by the amount of threads you will find.

But even better, do yourself and me a favor, and move on. If you are still not getting what I'm referring to (having noted more than once what I am questioning), than I can't help you.

JANE, YOU IGNORANT ****.
One more time, it's not what you are questioning but what you are stating about a RECALL THAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH.
I've been on the 'fest since '07 and own a perfectly performing N54 engined car and you think I haven't read the threads on HPFP failure. :tsk:
You seem to think that all you read here is indicative of every N54 engined car owner in the world. It's not. Threads have been started with HPFP in the title and it wasn't even what was wrong with the car. it turned out to be injectors. Not everything you read is true, just like your "almost needed to be recalled due to major and widespread pump issues." crap. Support that statement if you can. But you can't can you? That's why you keep avoiding answering it when I keep asking.
YOU MADE IT UP!!!!!!

dj

quackbury 07-21-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nh32010 (Post 5339290)
@DJFitter:

And what's your point???

I am questioning the '07 and '08 awards for the N54 engine since this engine experienced apparent HPFP issues (you yourself had one as you stated).

If you have a comment with substance, please bring forward, otherwise save your crap to yourself.

Here's a comment with substance: WTF do 2007 and 2008 awards have to do with a 2011 MY F10? Do you have an axe to grind with BMW? (I assume, given the tone and TYPE SIZE of your previous posts, if (like DJ, who has offered a lot of intelligent advice over the years) you owned an N54 you would have told us by now.

What does Wikipedia (note spelling) say about TROLLS?

djfitter 07-22-2010 10:45 AM

Thanks for the kind words Quack. Maybe this guy will get the point. :dunno:

dj

Nh32010 07-23-2010 10:29 AM

"IMO these engine awards are only about performance or efficiency. There's nothing about reliability/value that's taken into account, because to have such information you have to have a reasonable amount of history.
BMW wins some these awards because they produce excellent motors, but it's too early to know if the new ones will last, especially with BMW's 15K mile oil change program."


Shame that these awards don't take future reliability into consideration since besides performance, efficiency, that is, reliability being, an important aspect in the purchasing decision.

djfitter 07-23-2010 10:43 AM

Nope, the TROLL doesn't get it. :tsk:

dj

enigma 07-25-2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfitter (Post 5339209)
I didn't accuse anybody of anything, I asked for a reference for his source of information. :dunno: And I don't need a NOOB or you to tell me about the HPFP issue. At least I have one. :tsk:

Sure, you did accuse of manufacturing stories. Stop being so condescending on new folks. I am sure you were a "NOOB" in 2007 and probably wouldn't have appreciated someone calling you that.


Evidence #1: BMW's own SIBs on HPFP

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b130308g.htm
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b130208g.htm


Evidence #2: BMW extending warranty on HPFP to 10 years/120,000 miles

If the N54 didn't have an HPFP issue, why would BMW go the extra mile of extending the warranty of N54-based vehicles?


Evidence #3
: Class-action law suit filed against BMW

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/12/ca_bmw.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17233560/Bmw-Law-Suit-Hpfp

djfitter 07-25-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma (Post 5348605)
Sure, you did accuse of manufacturing stories. Stop being so condescending on new folks. I am sure you were a "NOOB" in 2007 and probably wouldn't have appreciated someone calling you that.


Evidence #1: BMW's own SIBs on HPFP

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b130308g.htm
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b130208g.htm


Evidence #2: BMW extending warranty on HPFP to 10 years/120,000 miles

If the N54 didn't have an HPFP issue, why would BMW go the extra mile of extending the warranty of N54-based vehicles?


Evidence #3
: Class-action law suit filed against BMW

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/12/ca_bmw.html

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17233560/Bmw-Law-Suit-Hpfp

You don't get it either:rofl: In all this evidence you are offering, WHERE does it mention a recall almost happening as Nh32010 stated? That was my bone of contention that I quoted many times.
Calling somebody a NOOB, condescending? yeah that's real bad. :rofl: Hey if the shoe fits. :tsk:

dj

BMW #1 07-25-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfitter (Post 5348811)
You don't get it either:rofl: In all this evidence you are offering, WHERE does it mention a recall almost happening as Nh32010 stated? That was my bone of contention that I quoted many times.
Calling somebody a NOOB, condescending? yeah that's real bad. :rofl: Hey if the shoe fits. :tsk:

dj

DJ,
Sorry man but you sound very defensive :( I'm a long-time BMW owner and I find these reports to be compelling. CNN is now reporting "BMW's Engine Problems: A Safety Risk to Drivers -- and the Company?"
See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/apFnNs
this: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/au...ompa/19560998/


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms