Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   How to get an e 39 to out perform a e60 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472083)

rconner 07-23-2010 11:36 AM

How to get an e 39 to out perform a e60
 
Hello newbi here. I just sold my jeep srt 8 and am looking to get into a m5. I was wondering if you could help me in my search. I am looking to stay under $40 g's and have better performance than the jeep. I like the e39 body as much as the e 60, but perfer the performance of the e 60. What do I need to do to out perform the newer e 60. Thanks Rob.

GBPackerfan1963 07-23-2010 09:03 PM

ESS Supercharger

rconner 07-24-2010 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=firehire;5346523]ESS Supercharger[/QUOTE
Thanks, thats what I was thinking looking over a few posts.

900 09-19-2010 08:58 PM

my 2 cents. (if you do not have the M5)Unless you have deep pocket, start with and M3. More parts out there for the car, more of everything. With a little looking about you fan find one for a good price.

kbnn_ 09-20-2010 11:33 AM

But e39 is more of a car :)

marty42r 03-05-2011 05:34 PM

bmw
 
get a 540 sport with supercharger and mods custom dual exhaust etc...m5 body kit possibly seats door panels.. thats what i did and have 99 540 steptronic.you be faster than e39m5 and close to e60m5 .best bang for money

mylifeasapc 02-12-2013 12:45 AM

Start here to compare. I built a spreadsheet that has every E39 M5 for sale across the country under $20k. It includes prices, miles, ownership records and more. Definitely join up at M5 Board too. Tons of information.

toybuilder 02-22-2013 08:34 PM

Thanks
 
I really liked your list it's been helpful in sorting out the good from the bad and being able to see them all together is great .I've looked at a couple you had listed that where near me but I've got a few more to see before I make a choice.Hopefully I'll get it done in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck with your new Beast I hope it's great fun and trouble free.

ard 03-02-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty42r (Post 5895766)
get a 540 sport with supercharger and mods custom dual exhaust etc...m5 body kit possibly seats door panels.. thats what i did and have 99 540 steptronic.you be faster than e39m5 and close to e60m5 .best bang for money

1. It still isn't an m5.

2. As the title of the thread asks, it doesn't not 'out perform' an e60 m5

3. It isn't an m5

;)

ls14winter 03-28-2013 10:41 AM

according to top gear the e60 m5 barely outperforms the e39 m5. we are talking about .8 of a second faster lap time. 1:26.2 vs 1:27.0

F1.tifosi 03-30-2013 02:38 PM

My E60 535i can easily beat a E39 M5...

Nowadays the twin turbo is rocking... If you ever wanna get a car that can match with a E60 M5 or F10 M5, get a twin turbo and mod it..

All the best..

ard 03-31-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1.tifosi (Post 7483012)
.. If you ever wanna get a car that can match with a E60 M5 or F10 M5, get a twin turbo and mod it..

All the best..

Uh, Im confused....why not just buy the F10 M5????

:angel:

F1.tifosi 03-31-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7485026)
Uh, Im confused....why not just buy the F10 M5????

:angel:

If you can afford 110+K .. :)

dwink 04-04-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1.tifosi (Post 7483012)
My E60 535i can easily beat a E39 M5...

Nowadays the twin turbo is rocking... If you ever wanna get a car that can match with a E60 M5 or F10 M5, get a twin turbo and mod it..

All the best..

No matter how fast you make it, it still has bangle butt gone wrong....

:p

DonnieWillett 04-04-2013 11:23 PM

Bentley540
 
Let the engine breathe. Weapon Type-R Exhaust is a good start. K&N Cold Air Intake , GForce Power Chip , E3 plugs and all Synthetic Fluids should get you close. Tweeks on air flow make cars fast. Air intake and exhause should be close to the same spot across car. The idea is to get air through car asap then add enough fuel and fire to keep up.

ard 04-04-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnieWillett (Post 7496335)
Let the engine breathe. Weapon Type-R Exhaust is a good start. K&N Cold Air Intake , GForce Power Chip , E3 plugs and all Synthetic Fluids should get you close. Tweeks on air flow make cars fast. Air intake and exhause should be close to the same spot across car. The idea is to get air through car asap then add enough fuel and fire to keep up.

You have no clue WTF you are talking about.

I do agree that improving the 'air pumping efficiency' is the key to power.... but your suggestions demonstrate a deep ignorance as to the state of the art on the E39 M5.

A K&N cold air kit will LOWER performance. And exhaust adds NOTHING.

Short of a supercharger you cannot get at E39 to outperform at E60. Even a Dinan S2 wont do it.

Oh, 'synthetics'...please

F1.tifosi 04-20-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwink (Post 7496319)
No matter how fast you make it, it still has bangle butt gone wrong....

:p

Do you expect all super cars and tuned cars to be error free, we have tons of people in N54 forum who has 100K miles on their FBO car with no issues.... You need to drive one to experience it...:thumbup:

King 5 04-30-2013 03:12 PM

How to get an e 39 to out perform a e60
 
E93 335i with JB5 for the win


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

F1.tifosi 05-09-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King 5 (Post 7554344)
E93 335i with JB5 for the win


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

I don't think you can.. put the math.. Just with Juice box and no other mods you are not gonna come close to 400hp..

FYI E39 M5 is 400hp.. you need FBO.:thumbup:

mark_m5 05-11-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1.tifosi (Post 7483012)
My E60 535i can easily beat a E39 M5...

:rofl: Yeah. This I'd like to see.

Edit: E60 535i is a full second slower than E39 M5 0-60
http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bim...mph-Times.html

mark_m5 05-11-2013 09:22 PM

One word: DINAN.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D860-7...em.aspx#page=1

Quote:

After over two years of development, testing, and painstaking tuning, Dinan has once again raised the bar for street legal performance with the supercharged M5 making 621 horsepower and 502 lb/ft torque.

F1.tifosi 05-12-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_m5 (Post 7578741)
:rofl: Yeah. This I'd like to see.

Edit: E60 535i is a full second slower than E39 M5 0-60
http://www.zeroto60times.com/BMW-Bim...mph-Times.html


Mark- I am talking an E60 535i (FBO= Full bolts On) with Larger Front mount intercooler, Larger downpipes, Charge Pipe and Cobb Stage 2 tuning..

My buddy Xclone here has done 0-60 in 4 sec.. Check that out..

http://m.5series.net/showthread.php?t=117070&page=4

You are comparing a stock 535i.. :dunno:

F1.tifosi 05-12-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_m5 (Post 7578751)


Now what you say :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcs_nx7wIpE


Option 2: Vishnu tuning..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2YEFFgN2Y

N54 rocks dude.. you have no clue.. 3K RB turbo's vs 18K super charger...:rofl:

mark_m5 05-28-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1.tifosi (Post 7579081)
Now what you say :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcs_nx7wIpE


Option 2: Vishnu tuning..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2YEFFgN2Y

N54 rocks dude.. you have no clue.. 3K RB turbo's vs 18K super charger...:rofl:

I say I'll take a look at the videos when I get home. But really, this thread is about how to get an E39 (M5 since we're in the M5 forum) to outperform an E60. I can raise a couple of other examples of E39's with twin superchargers making 900+ hp if we want to turn this into "tuner wars". But I think BMW is not the ideal car to play "tuner wars" with.

Personally, I got an E39 M5 because they kick a$$ stock.

If I was going to play tuner wars, I'd get a Nissan GT-R with the Alpha 12 package. http://gtr.alphaperformance.com/alph...pha-12-package

I just don't need a car that fast.

F1.tifosi 05-29-2013 05:54 AM

.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms