Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is the X3 ride as bad as they say? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47430)

AEC 12-06-2003 03:30 PM

Is the X3 ride as bad as they say?

Both Car and Driver and Automobile magazines have slammed the X3 for a harsh ride with either 17 or 18 inch wheels. I'd like to hear what the people who've driven the X3 think about the ride. Is it as bad as they say?

FireFly 12-06-2003 03:44 PM

Thumbs up from me. Drove it on backroads and on the highway. One of the best riding SUV's IMHO.

Tyr it for yourself- it's the only way to know for sure.

TedW 12-07-2003 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEC
Both Car and Driver and Automobile magazines have slammed the X3 for a harsh ride with either 17 or 18 inch wheels. I'd like to hear what the people who've driven the X3 think about the ride. Is it as bad as they say?

I don't find the ride harsh at all and my wife loves it too, but I am used to driving only BMW's. We all know that BMW's have a stiffer ride than most cars to provide better handling. You should go out and try it for yourself. I would be interested to see what you think. Please let us know.

Ted

Clarke 12-07-2003 06:31 AM

FWIW when the X5 first came out the reviews all talked about the harsh choppy ride with the sport package,I think the ride is just fine.You'll have to drive one and see how you feel,don't be scared off by others. Perceptions vary.

hmr 12-11-2003 07:07 PM

How could something that makes an SUV feel like a sports sedian be bad? I'm really surprised by Car and Driver taking exception. They did too when the X5 came out. When I test-drove an '03 X5 3.0 SP, I couldn't believe how well it suited my tastes. BMW rocks!

quattro29 12-11-2003 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmr
How could something that makes an SUV feel like a sports sedian be bad? I'm really surprised by Car and Driver taking exception. They did too when the X5 came out. When I test-drove an '03 X5 3.0 SP, I couldn't believe how well it suited my tastes. BMW rocks!

Yeah -- I don't get the whole "everyone should buy a wagon instead" thing. Why shouldn't we all buy Civics? Don't they get better gas mileage too? Don't they have a lower center of gravity too?

I have an X5 and it still puts a smile on my face everyday. I recently ordered an X3 to replace it (will be joined by a Z4 or similar "toy" in the spring). I honestly don't care what Car & Driver thinks about it -- I drove it, I liked it, I ordered it.

mkh 12-11-2003 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEC

Actually, most of the magazines I've read rated the X3 :thumbdwn: on the ride. I really need to try one out before I can say anything. Tomorrow I'll be heading to the dealer and get a test drive (if I can find one with sport pkg). I have an X5 3.0i SP and a 330i ZHP, so I know what a firm ride is. I'll be directly comparing it with the two and hopefully will answer some of the questions. Stay tuned.

mkh 12-12-2003 04:35 PM

Ok, I just came back from a test drive. I think I should start a new thread since I will be talking more than just the ride. See you there!

eelnoraa 01-09-2004 02:51 PM

The ride quality is NOT that bad, while you cannot expect smooth ride like Lexus RX330. The problem with X3 I think it 1) Interior, 2) price.

I test drove Mysti/gray combo. The interior feels very small (compare to X5) and low quality (even compare to Toyota). Altought for the low quality part, people says it is because of the gray interior color, I cannot comment on this because I have not seen other color interior. But I would guess with black interior, X3 will feel even smaller.

Price, X3 3.0 base MSRP is $36,300 while X5 3.0 base MSRP is $40,800. I don't see a reason choosing X3 over X5

eel

beware_phog 01-09-2004 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eelnoraa
The ride quality is NOT that bad, while you cannot expect smooth ride like Lexus RX330. The problem with X3 I think it 1) Interior, 2) price.

I test drove Mysti/gray combo. The interior feels very small (compare to X5) and low quality (even compare to Toyota). Altought for the low quality part, people says it is because of the gray interior color, I cannot comment on this because I have not seen other color interior. But I would guess with black interior, X3 will feel even smaller.

Price, X3 3.0 base MSRP is $36,300 while X5 3.0 base MSRP is $40,800. I don't see a reason choosing X3 over X5

eel

Why? X3 has ED. X5 does not. Pushes the price difference out a little bit more.

CascadeTelcom 01-18-2004 02:12 PM

X3

Quote:

Originally Posted by beware_phog
Why? X3 has ED. X5 does not. Pushes the price difference out a little bit more.

Wholesale base price for the X3 3.0 is 33,195 USA port of entry, $30,720 Euro delivery. I drove the dealer blue model, which belongs to BMW until February, without the sport package and liked the typical no sway BMW ride. :thumbup: The turning was very short radius and the interior 3 series quality. Has anyone heard the date of arrival for additional units with sports packages and series 113 and 114 wheels?

Nick325xiT 5spd 01-18-2004 02:32 PM

I drove a non-sport X3 and thought the ride was pretty soft.

Gemini330zhp 08-28-2004 01:39 PM

I was in the BMW ultimate drive and drove a X3 on the autocross track, man I cant believe the how high the fun Factor is!!!!!!! :thumbup: Im Going to order one with the sport pkg aero kit and 19 inch wheels :bigpimp:

Edieval 08-28-2004 10:03 PM

X3 Ride

Before I bought my X3 I read the reviews about the vehicle, but as I have learned most reviewers’ opinions are somewhat biased or overly critical. When I went to the dealer he had 60 X3's on the 2 BMW lots, so I actually test drove 3 before I made my purchase. In the beginning I felt the bumps, but I think I was looking for them because of the reviews; however, this still didn't affect my thoughts about the ride. Now after 1k miles I hardly notice anything anymore.

Ed :drive:

Riuster 08-28-2004 11:04 PM

The x3 has a stiff suspension...the way i like it......shes a rough ride...

hmr 08-28-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riuster
The x3 has a stiff suspension...the way i like it......shes a rough ride...

Yes, true, the sport package is stiff. Those who like it softer will be happier without the sport package.

Isn't it cool that BMW offers such a sport package on an SUV (er, SAV) for those who like it that way?

beware_phog 08-30-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmr
Yes, true, the sport package is stiff. Those who like it softer will be happier without the sport package.

Isn't it cool that BMW offers such a sport package on an SUV (er, SAV) for those who like it that way?

If you want to drive a couch, buy a Buick.

ProcyonB 08-30-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEC

I test-drove every SUV I could think of that I might like (Lexus RX, Infinity FX, Toyota Sequia / 4Runner / Highlander, Mazda Tribute, Isuzu whatchamacallit, already own a Honda Pilot, Volkswagon Toureg, Ford Exploder, and more) and ended up buying 2 X3s (I made the mistake of bringing the wife along for the test-drive of the X's and she had to have an X3 afterwards).

So I :dunno: who was smoking what to think the X3 has a bad ride?

btw, anyone want a slightly gently pre-owned 2004 Honda Pilot EX-L with only the low-low milage of 13k miles on it? :rofl:

ProcyonB 08-30-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini330zhp
I was in the BMW ultimate drive and drove a X3 on the autocross track, man I cant believe the how high the fun Factor is!!!!!!! :thumbup: Im Going to order one with the sport pkg aero kit and 19 inch wheels :bigpimp:

Been meaning to ask someone, wtf makes the aero package worth $3k?

ProcyonB 08-30-2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmr

Like it what way? Rough and fast? :rofl:

hmr 08-31-2004 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beware_phog
If you want to drive a couch, buy a Buick.

True. I take it you got the sport package.

BTW, my statement, "Isn't it cool that BMW offers such a sport package on an SUV (er, SAV) for those who like it that way?" was an endorsement for the sport package and for BMW giving us that choice.

FireFly 08-31-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProcyonB
I test-drove every SUV I could think of that I might like (Lexus RX, Infinity FX, Toyota Sequia / 4Runner / Highlander, Mazda Tribute, Isuzu whatchamacallit, already own a Honda Pilot, Volkswagon Toureg, Ford Exploder, and more) and ended up buying 2 X3s (I made the mistake of bringing the wife along for the test-drive of the X's and she had to have an X3 afterwards).

So I :dunno: who was smoking what to think the X3 has a bad ride?

btw, anyone want a slightly gently pre-owned 2004 Honda Pilot EX-L with only the low-low milage of 13k miles on it? :rofl:

Please offer up a comparison of the Pilot vs. the X3. How far apart are they? I was looking to get my wife a 2005 Pilot (with sunroof) but she has her heart set on the X3 - mainly because it's a BMW :)

sfca-325i 08-31-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireFly
Please offer up a comparison of the Pilot vs. the X3. How far apart are they? I was looking to get my wife a 2005 Pilot (with sunroof) but she has her heart set on the X3 - mainly because it's a BMW :)

There is a significant difference between the two vehicles.

X3: better handling, better leather, smaller feel to the overall vehicle. The X3 is my wife's car.

Pilot: soft ride with resulting limitation on cornering ability. There is a well documented "saggy seat" syndrome on the leather seats. Great engine - love that VTEC. Huge interior and ability to transport the entire basketball team or a large portion of the soccer team. View the Pilot as an alternative to a minivan (with challenging third row ingress/egress). This is my vehicle (previously had a Toyota Landcrusher) and it's nice, just NOT an X3.

Not_Applicable 08-31-2004 02:55 PM

My 6er also is rather hard on the road. I like it that way. Sporty and cool. Interesting that almost all reviews I read of the 645ci have praised the car's handling and performance. Weird that the X3 was slammed for a harsh ride since it's "feel" is almost the same. :confused:

ProcyonB 08-31-2004 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireFly

The Pilot was my wife's, but when I decided to buy an X3 for myself (after my last car was totalled when some :jack: -ass ran a red light at 60+mph and t-boned me) she figured she should have a Bimmer too. :confused:

The Pilot is a more functional vehicle. It has more storage space, it has a third row of seating, and the Japanese pay more attention to ergonomics than the Germans do. The Pilot's interior is comparable to the X3 (better in some ways -- perforated leather and better looking trim -- worse in some ways -- cheaper looking plastics on the dash). It also goes further on a tank of gas than the X3, even though it has a bigger engine than the X3. It has a soft ride and is probably the best example of a soccer-mom SUV there is.

In comparison, the X3 drives like a car (which is to say, better than the Pilot from a strictly drivers POV). I haven't tested either on snow and ice, but I would bet that the X3 will perform much better (XDrive, lower weight, lower stance/center of gravity). BMW front seats are more comfortable than those in the Pilot, but the back seats are less -- and no 3rd row.

We really looked at them as SUV (Pilot) vs car (X3). She misses some things about the Pilot still (roomier, more people friendly ergonomically speaking), but she enjoys other things about the X3 (panorama moonroof, BMW name).

Now me personally, I don't like driving big SUVs* and am not comfortable in something the size of the Pilot. I like to drive down 89 to Sedona (one of the twistier roads in the US) as fast as I can -- so the X3 was a perfect fit for me. But I am a driver with no children, so it suits my tastes.

*except the Hummer -- which is a sweet offroad vehicle and I would buy one if I ever offroaded, but I don't so...