Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   A/C compressor drive belt (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475531)

bimmer80 08-07-2010 02:21 PM

A/C compressor drive belt
 
Hello Guys, does anyone know how to remove the A/C compressor drive belt on a 2005 745?


Thank you.

yuril 09-17-2010 10:59 AM

From what I've heard from the shop, you just cut it off (!), as there is no tensioner.
Installing a replacement belt will need a special BMW provided tool.

bimmer80 09-17-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuril (Post 5476737)
From what I've heard from the shop, you just cut it off (!), as there is no tensioner.
Installing a replacement belt will need a special BMW provided tool.

I had to remove some screws from the back of the ac compressor and loosen the compressor for it to come off but no special BMW tools needed.

MakaveliFaison 09-17-2010 12:53 PM

There is a tensioner on the AC belt

CatsMeow 08-16-2012 06:29 PM

Missing belt tensioner
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison (Post 5477054)
There is a tensioner on the AC belt

Not on all models, just found this out. My ac belt broke and week ago so I decided to replace it as well as the drive belt however, when I went to put the belt on there was a lot of slack and no way to tighten it as there was no belt tensioner, so I was stumped. Either the guy ordered the wrong belt or when my belt broke it snatched the tensioner off as well....not likely but I had no clue. The tensioner was not in the pan and where it should be bolted was caked with road debris and what not. After I read this post a few times I realized that on some models they put a AC belt tensioner and on some models they didn't, not sure of which ones but I am absolutely certain that I didn't drop a belt tensioner when the belt broke. I'll do so more digging because apparently this belt is not the standard one that the parts stores see when they do there search, only the ac belt that goes along with the belt tensioner comes up. I'll be back.

Rookie2008 08-16-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatsMeow (Post 7015293)
Not on all models, just found this out. My ac belt broke and week ago so I decided to replace it as well as the drive belt however, when I went to put the belt on there was a lot of slack and no way to tighten it as there was no belt tensioner, so I was stumped. Either the guy ordered the wrong belt or when my belt broke it snatched the tensioner off as well....not likely but I had no clue. The tensioner was not in the pan and where it should be bolted was caked with road debris and what not. After I read this post a few times I realized that on some models they put a AC belt tensioner and on some models they didn't, not sure of which ones but I am absolutely certain that I didn't drop a belt tensioner when the belt broke. I'll do so more digging because apparently this belt is not the standard one that the parts stores see when they do there search, only the ac belt that goes along with the belt tensioner comes up. I'll be back.

You do realize this thread is from 2010 right?

CatsMeow 08-17-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie2008 (Post 7015436)
You do realize this thread is from 2010 right?

Ah yeah.......however my AC belt did not break in 2010, just the last week, when I did a search this was the only thread that I came across and it was inconclusive. After doing some research and found out that both members are correct, BMW outfitted some cars with belt tensioners for the AC belt and others with no belt tensioner. However when you order a belt the only one that comes up is for the setup with the belt tensioner. Nevertheless after half a day of working I have replaced my AC belt for the non AC belt tensioner setup.:thumbup:

Rookie2008 08-17-2012 06:26 PM

Good Deal! :)

Larryd745i 12-15-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatsMeow (Post 7017471)
Ah yeah.......however my AC belt did not break in 2010, just the last week, when I did a search this was the only thread that I came across and it was inconclusive. After doing some research and found out that both members are correct, BMW outfitted some cars with belt tensioners for the AC belt and others with no belt tensioner. However when you order a belt the only one that comes up is for the setup with the belt tensioner. Nevertheless after half a day of working I have replaced my AC belt for the non AC belt tensioner setup.:thumbup:

did you replace the non tensioner belt without the tool? if so how did you do it. did you loosen the compressor?

erniejazz 03-08-2014 01:30 PM

yes, how is this done, have the same issue getting it back on.

BobbyBucher 05-11-2014 08:28 PM

Erniejazz,

Did you get yours replaced? I have been trying all day to get mine on after doing a full cooling system replacement and just can't get it to go on. Please let me know how you did it.
I have a 2005 545i without the tensioner on the AC belt.
Thanks
Bobby

erniejazz 05-12-2014 05:57 AM

Bobby you need to buy the tool. Do not order on ebay! Get someone on the phone and make sure they know what the tool is. $50

BobbyBucher 05-12-2014 03:47 PM

Thanks, I will work on that tomorrow and I appreciate the reply!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms