Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   18 or 19 inch wheels (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475733)

BROWNBEAR58 08-08-2010 03:58 PM

18 or 19 inch wheels
 
I just took delivery on my new sdrive35is with 19 inch wheels and just love it. It has 640 miles on it now and i have not pushed it real hard ---not had it over 80 mph yet. What a machine---i love the double clutch tranny, as my wife cannot handle a manual shift.

Dr Stig 08-08-2010 05:24 PM

Congrats on the car. Enjoy.

Admit I'm puzzled by the title of the thread though...

Wraith. 08-08-2010 09:45 PM

Ditto

lux good 08-09-2010 02:16 AM

Why was the header....'18 or 19 inch wheels'. :dunno:

BROWNBEAR58 08-09-2010 04:25 AM

18 or 19 inch wheels
 
I wanted to find out what the difference would be

lux good 08-09-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROWNBEAR58 (Post 5381745)
I wanted to find out what the difference would be


1 inch :banghead:

BROWNBEAR58 08-09-2010 05:54 AM

Very original

Mr Breeze 08-09-2010 09:31 AM

Congrats on the new ride! Let's see some pics!

Rolf-Dieter 08-09-2010 03:42 PM

1 inch or 2.54 Centimeter ... oh and yes 19 inch tires are harder to find and do cost more :)

Rimmer 08-09-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Breeze (Post 5382141)
Congrats on the new ride! Let's see some pics!

This is the poster who said he had a new iS on the 8th of last month and who never posted pics

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=467626

Mr Breeze 08-09-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimmer (Post 5383139)
This is the poster who said he had a new iS on the 8th of last month and who never posted pics

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=467626

Thanks for the heads up.

Some people are....:liar:

Wraith. 08-09-2010 04:25 PM

.. I think you're going to have to post pics Bear.. otherwise it appears that you manufactured an imaginairy car to go with your imaginary wife....

daron001 08-09-2010 10:09 PM

classic....

Rimmer 08-10-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraith. (Post 5383188)
.. I think you're going to have to post pics Bear.. otherwise it appears that you manufactured an imaginairy car to go with your imaginary wife....


:rofl: He could only come up with BMW's configurator photo last time :slap:

Dr Stig 08-10-2010 02:56 PM

Some say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. :p

Bk650 08-12-2010 09:05 AM

lol u guys are harsh on this side

Wraith. 08-12-2010 04:20 PM

... just calling it like we see it....

BROWNBEAR58 10-13-2010 11:56 AM

19 or 18 inch wheels
 
Any idiot knows the measurement is 1 inch. I was trying to find out if there is a difference in ride or handling or performance

supremeart 10-13-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lux good (Post 5381761)
1 inch :banghead:

+1

supremeart 10-13-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROWNBEAR58 (Post 5541593)
Any idiot knows the measurement is 1 inch. I was trying to find out if there is a difference in ride or handling or performance

The lower profile tire (19) will likely have better dry weather handling due to the reduced carcass flex, but worse wet weather handling for the same reason, as well as a slightly harsher ride, and a noisier ride. But for an auto car, I wouldn't even worry about it. You gotta teach her to drive a stick so you can get a sports car with a sports cart tranny, which will make way more difference than 1 inch of tire flesh.., LOL..

BROWNBEAR58 10-13-2010 03:01 PM

18 or 19 inch wheels
 
I tried to teach her on a 1966 porsche 911 and you should have seen the jerking and stalling. It was comical. She said no more of this and to this day has refused to drive any of my cars that have a manual tranny

gblansten 10-13-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeart (Post 5541701)
The lower profile tire (19) will likely have better dry weather handling due to the reduced carcass flex, but worse wet weather handling for the same reason, as well as a slightly harsher ride, and a noisier ride. But for an auto car, I wouldn't even worry about it. You gotta teach her to drive a stick so you can get a sports car with a sports cart tranny, which will make way more difference than 1 inch of tire flesh.., LOL..

If you look at Edmunds objective performance testing of the 35i with 18s versus the 35is with the 19s the advantage goes to the 18s.

The 35is really took a hit in the slalom.

Here is an interesting test by Car and Driver with a different car where they did testing of different size wheels. Pretty cool.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept

KAJ 11-21-2012 04:41 PM

Thanks for the link to the Car and Driver test of the effects of different wheel sizes on performance. Most of what I have read in this forum and elsewhere was opinion about what should be true in comparing 18 versus 19 inch wheels. Here we finally have data that counters much of the speculation, and it has convinced me to stay with the 18 inch wheels for the Z4 35is I have on order. I was tempted to switch to the 19 inch wheels just for the cool look, but loss in performance and harsher ride seem to be a big price to pay for an inch of cool. :thumbup:

Andrew*Debbie 11-21-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BROWNBEAR58 (Post 5381745)
I wanted to find out what the difference would be

BMW 19s ride worse and are heavier. The extra weight harms handling. Some people think the 19s look better.

Some of the BMW 19" rims are prone to cracking.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms