Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1995-1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   replacing shocks (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477977)

bonujj 08-18-2010 05:21 AM

replacing shocks

I bought bilstein front struts, i installed them, after installing them,did a test drive and the shocks was making noise, it was loose on the top, center bolt. which i held with a wrench and tightened with an Ln wrench, is that the right way to d it, i am not sure if i did it the right way.after i tightened the center nut its not loose anymore, but i dont want to over tighten them or too loose either,,.also the rear shock mounts came without the shock mount gasket, is it have to be there. or can i replace them without the gasket..please help,kinna lost case here,thanks..

fun2drive 09-02-2010 08:24 PM

You don't need to replace the gasket but why would you not do that? It is cheap and doesn't hurt anything. if the old gasket is still there than yes you can skip it as long as the old gasket is intact.
Regarding the strut nut torque specs I think it is pretty low like 22 ft pounds or something like that. I just tighten until not loose and this has worked on all the struts I have done. It is pretty hard to get a torque wrench on the nut while holding the center shaft.

bonujj 09-04-2010 06:40 AM

struts

HEy thanks for the info on the struts, i did change the gasket. and mounted them back in place. i had a problem with the top center nut. after i installed it took it for a ride and it was too loose , had to tighten them again until i had all the looseness out it seem o.k now.not sure on the torque either on them. i tightened just enough. where the bearings are free.
great help for your answer thanks again.

rrsperry 09-06-2010 04:44 PM

The torque on the top nut should be about 34ft-lbs

bonujj 09-13-2010 06:54 AM

torque

Thanks for the info on the torque,appreciate so much..

kubi 12-29-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2drive (Post 5442534)
You don't need to replace the gasket but why would you not do that? It is cheap and doesn't hurt anything. if the old gasket is still there than yes you can skip it as long as the old gasket is intact.
Regarding the strut nut torque specs I think it is pretty low like 22 ft pounds or something like that. I just tighten until not loose and this has worked on all the struts I have done. It is pretty hard to get a torque wrench on the nut while holding the center shaft.

I just did my rear shock today. Because of the same reason that self-locking nut on the center shaft of shock can not be tightened, my shocks are all moving up and down. A lot of noise. What is the best way to make them tightened. I can not hold the center shaft/rod because it is too slippery. I do not want to clamp it because i do not want to damage it. The instructions says do not use torque on the nut.

What should I do?

My guess is there are more parts should be going in between, mount and the upper plate. Such as collar-nut and washer gasket, spacer/shim etc....

My car is 2002 330ci convertible.

Thanks

avglushk 12-30-2010 04:22 AM

I'm about to change my rear shocks. Can I use bilstein shocks with original coil springs on the car?

Thanks.

rrsperry 12-31-2010 05:24 AM

You can, but Bilstein is a bad choice for the E36 M3. Way too much high speed compression damping. The engineers at Bilstein never did get the valving right.

injunmort 01-05-2011 12:39 PM

i used bilsteins on mine and it is a way better ride and feel than stock. when you get your bilsteins there should be mounting instructions with the struts showing the various collars and rubber bushings. tighten the center nut down by hand and hold the shaft with a small wrench on the end. if you dont get the instructions go to realoem.com to see the hardware arrangements.

fun2drive 01-06-2011 07:45 PM

Bilsteins on your M3 all depends. On my convertible it is just right. It is NOT too stiff. If I put these on my sedan it would beat the hell out of it. That is why I use Koni on the sedan or the Sachs/Boge OEM. Coupes and sedans ride quality will be ruined by this stiff a strut.

Also in regard to tightening the top nut on the strut unless you have the small wrench that holds the shaft it will spin on you. Also if the shock is fully entended where any of the shaft is showing (most likely requiring not installing the lower bolt until after you do this) you can get a strap wrench on the shaft which will allow you to hold the shaft and tighten the nut while not damaging the shaft. This has worked well on almost all cars I have worked on unless they have a full shroud that protects the shock...

Bentley page 310-4 shows two torque values for the strut nut one for shaft with external hexagon and one for internal hexagon 48 and 32 ft -lbs respectively so my guess of 22 is wrong. I don't know what a internal hexagon is which I am guessing may be an area where you can get an Allen wrench on?

kubi 01-11-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubi (Post 5730216)
I just did my rear shock today. Because of the same reason that self-locking nut on the center shaft of shock can not be tightened, my shocks are all moving up and down. A lot of noise. What is the best way to make them tightened. I can not hold the center shaft/rod because it is too slippery. I do not want to clamp it because i do not want to damage it. The instructions says do not use torque on the nut.

What should I do?

My guess is there are more parts should be going in between, mount and the upper plate. Such as collar-nut and washer gasket, spacer/shim etc....

My car is 2002 330ci convertible.

Thanks

Did it by using a vise grip to hold the top of the shaft. I used some extra washers to make it easy. Now it works great.

Hint for convertibles - to reach to the top bolts you need to open the top half and hold it there.