Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Help! 2002 m5 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480043)

blakey_z 08-27-2010 12:23 AM

Help! 2002 m5

Well it appears the honeymoon has ended with my e39 m5, ha! About 3 weeks ago my check engine light came on with no apparent issue to how the car runs, except that when I jump in it in the morning and start it there is this rattling/chattering that eventually goes away within the first mile of driving. I took the car to a decent euro shop in town that has seen it before and they pulled 13 codes including everything from the exhaust banks to cam positioning sensor to the vanos... We came to the conclusion that it probably can be narrowed down to 2 or 3 things causing the rest of the system to freak out. Of course when I took the car in for them to actually hear the noise I couldn't get it to reproduce it. The only other performance related issue I've noticed is that when I hit 6k rpms the car doesn't seem to respond like it has in the past. I'm thinking vanos judging by what I've read on some forums but wanted to get some feedback from anyone on here. If it's vanos can I just replace solenoids...? Open to any and all thoughts! Car has 95k miles. Had level II inspection, guibo, clutch, mafs, and a control arm done about 30k ago.

drahcirr 08-27-2010 10:51 AM

There's a multitude of reasons why a check engine light can be triggered, not only in the E39 M5 but in many other makes and models. It can be as simple as the gas cap not being tightened, or as complex as a failed exhaust sensor. The check engine light on my 2000 E39 M5 has come on after the two most recent gas fill-ups, after the gauge has dropped to about 3/4 full, and then the light has gone out after the gauge drops a little further. I plan to ignore it, unless it goes on at some point and won't go off.

GBPackerfan1963 08-27-2010 12:09 PM

Take a visit over to the M5board.com and look through the FAQ's. You will need a Peake reader to run the codes and post what codes were pulled. I would first suggest to reset the codes and see what comes back.

We, over at M5board.com are very friendly and helpful to new "Beast" owners. Just use the search function first and don't start an oil thread. :rofl:

Peake Research 08-30-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firehire (Post 5426534)
Take a visit over to the M5board.com and look through the FAQ's. You will need a Peake reader to run the codes and post what codes were pulled. I would first suggest to reset the codes and see what comes back.

We, over at M5board.com are very friendly and helpful to new "Beast" owners. Just use the search function first and don't start an oil thread. :rofl:

Thanks for the plug here!

Our products are definitely the tool of choice for many M5 owners. If you want to know more about them, have a look at the article in my signature titled "Peake Tool Crash Course." If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us or any of our retailers.

Best of luck!

Ken