Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   iPod Touch (32gb) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480489)

Jamze132 08-29-2010 06:28 AM

iPod Touch (32gb)

So yesterday I purchase a new iPod Touch and hook it up using the BMW iPod cable in the arm rest and I get the message

"Charging is not supported with this accessory!"

Everything else works as before using my old iPod, but it just won't charge. Anyone have any info or fixes?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Onnastick 08-29-2010 11:45 AM

Jamze, had a similar problem in my wife's 2009 Infiniti G37. Interestingly, my OLD ipods (like 2008 or earlier) worked like a champ. But a newer ipod nano and my iPhone 3GS had the same problem as you. I ended up having to purchase one of these to solve the problem, and they all work fine now... I just leave it in the car:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...r-ipod-iphone/

P.S. In my new 2011 X5, I don't have the same problem, so BMW must have changed the charging mechanism used in the console.

Marshotel 08-29-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamze132 (Post 5429784)
So yesterday I purchase a new iPod Touch and hook it up using the BMW iPod cable in the arm rest and I get the message

"Charging is not supported with this accessory!"

Everything else works as before using my old iPod, but it just won't charge. Anyone have any info or fixes?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Good luck! my ipod saga just ended after 9 months. I have a 2010 and had the same problem from day 1 when the car was delivered in November. Service advisors were all to happy to blame it on Apple without even really trying to fix it. After several visits I finally decided to write a letter to the owner of the dealership. My main point to him was that this issue was identified before i ordered my car and that I should have been told that it didn't work with all ipods before I ordered it. Well, one day after the letter the issue was fixed. It has something to do with the USB cable. All of tge cables have the same part number but some of them work with the ipod touch and others don't. After trying several different cables the finally found one that works. That was Friday and all is well so far. Don't let them BS you......it is not a problem with Apple. If it was mine wouldn't be working right now.

Jamze132 08-31-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshotel (Post 5431153)
Good luck! my ipod saga just ended after 9 months. I have a 2010 and had the same problem from day 1 when the car was delivered in November. Service advisors were all to happy to blame it on Apple without even really trying to fix it. After several visits I finally decided to write a letter to the owner of the dealership. My main point to him was that this issue was identified before i ordered my car and that I should have been told that it didn't work with all ipods before I ordered it. Well, one day after the letter the issue was fixed. It has something to do with the USB cable. All of tge cables have the same part number but some of them work with the ipod touch and others don't. After trying several different cables the finally found one that works. That was Friday and all is well so far. Don't let them BS you......it is not a problem with Apple. If it was mine wouldn't be working right now.

Thanks alot! I'll look into it.

For anyone else with this problem, I think I found s work-around. As long as both the vehicle and iPod are on when I plug it in, it seems to work like its supposed and charge the iPod.

Beemersn 09-01-2010 07:52 PM

Send me your mailing address, I will give you a IPOD connection plug for free. I used it in my 2006 530 and this car is gone. All my current cars don't need this one.

Jamze132 09-01-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemersn (Post 5439275)
Send me your mailing address, I will give you a IPOD connection plug for free. I used it in my 2006 530 and this car is gone. All my current cars don't need this one.

Thanks! PM on the way.

Beemersn 09-03-2010 11:04 PM

I put it in the mail today.

Jamze132 09-05-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemersn (Post 5445105)
I put it in the mail today.

Thanks!