Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Whining noise coming from Engine on X5 50i. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486008)

miguel8286 09-21-2010 02:48 PM

Whining noise coming from Engine on X5 50i.

A strange 'electric golf cart' like whining noise is coming from the engine in my '11 X5 50i. The engine is a Twin-Scroll Turbo 4.4L V8.

Some patterns I've noticed:
-Doesn't happen when the engine is cold
-Doesn't happen until I really push the engine and then it won't stop for the rest of the day, even if I'm driving slow
-Whine is very noticeable after 2k rpm
-Not noticeable at higher speeds because of noise
-Seems to come from the right side (behind the glove box)
-The whine pitch is dependent on engine speed (rpm), not vehicle speed.

I have an appointment to have it checked out next tuesday. I will tell them that it might be the oil pump per other posts on the website.

Is there any chance that they might tell me it's the turbo?

Has anybody else had this problem and had it fixed or rejected for service?

jerman 09-21-2010 03:59 PM

I have had the exact problem, and yes it is very pronounced after a long drive or when stuck in traffic. I brought my car to BMW dealership in Morristown, they drove with me in morning and of course sound was not as noticeable, but apparently they are looking into it with BMW

rsingh111 09-21-2010 09:17 PM

Please look at 7 series post. This is from an oil pump. Most likely they will tell you it is normal. It is not

miguel8286 09-21-2010 09:19 PM

I saw the post! I will suggest that once they have their first diagnosis.. I want to hear what they tell me first!

ApproachingZero 09-22-2010 06:27 AM

She's going in for service too....

I tried it in neutral yesterday evening and it made the noise. It's not as pronounced when under a load, but it's still there. Iíve got it scheduled to go in October 2nd, but I expect to have a fight with something they will blame the turboís for.

Our 335i and 2009 Mini-Cooper S never, ever, made any such noise, and they have different turbo setups. In fact, I canít believe how well BMW did in masking any turbo noise.

jerman 09-27-2010 11:01 AM

x5 5.0 and whinny noise

Its official, the noise is getting worse and BMW still claims its normal. Psych ward here I come

miguel8286 09-27-2010 11:20 AM

I will seriously sell it if they can't get the noise fixed. It only has 2000 miles on it so I should be able to get a decent price for it.

EDIT:
I'll probably just bitch at BMW for a few days first and then try and get it fixed. If they can't, i'll claim it's a lemon car!

IlyaN 09-27-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miguel8286 (Post 5500804)
I will seriously sell it if they can't get the noise fixed. It only has 2000 miles on it so I should be able to get a decent price for it.

Sorry to spoil it for you... but once you left the dealership lot, regardless of the mileage, consider a loss of 5-10K from the purchase price...

On the other hand, clearly it's not normal. If it was, all the cars would make the same noice.

The positive attitude is: "They got 3 attempts and/or 21 days in service" and you can proceed with the Lemon Law :) The it's up to the judge to make a verdict whether or not it's normal, though I never heard of a matter getting to the judge. BMW is really good when it comes to settlements (talking from the personal Lemon experience :eeps:

miguel8286 09-27-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krasavchic (Post 5500834)
Sorry to spoil it for you... but once you left the dealership lot, regardless of the mileage, consider a loss of 5-10K from the purchase price...

On the other hand, clearly it's not normal. If it was, all the cars would make the same noice.

The positive attitude is: "They got 3 attempts and/or 21 days in service" and you can proceed with the Lemon Law :) The it's up to the judge to make a verdict whether or not it's normal, though I never heard of a matter getting to the judge. BMW is really good when it comes to settlements (talking from the personal Lemon experience :eeps:

I won't leave that dealership without getting that problem fixed. That's for sure!

jerman 09-30-2010 05:26 PM

Back from dealership told that noise is from alternator not oil pump. BMW service rep from northeast confirmed that there are different problems. Oil pump for 7 is not the problem for x5. Different sound apparently. Nothing can be done yet until more complaints.

miguel8286 09-30-2010 06:09 PM

I still haven't taken mine, not until next tuesday. The alternator sounds like a reasonable explanation, since it the noise sounds band-like, sort of.

So they can't do anything about it until they get more complaints? So it has to be a national issue in order for them to fix it? I'm wondering if the whole part would need to be replaced.

miguel8286 10-05-2010 10:51 AM

They still haven't found the source of the whine. My car is still in the dealership.

miguel8286 10-05-2010 11:23 AM

I emailed them asking them on a progress report.

I asked them:

Have you found the issue yet?

You might want to check the alternator or the oil pump for the whine. Another BMW owner had the same issue.

They answered:

We put in a tc case/puma case seeing what they want us to do. We think its possible alternator or oil pump (another vehicle in the shop a few months ago had the same issue) I have to wait on there approval/guidance It is there decision

WHAT IS A TC CASE? PUMA CASE?

EDIT:
PuMA is BMW's online technical hotline for delaers. The dealer fills out a form for submittal to BMW's technical gurus and then they send back a response outlining what they (BMW) want you (the dealer) to do to fix the car. Sometimes it's "replace such-and-such" and sometimes they ask for more diagnostic info.

TC is "Teile Clearing". It's German for "parts Clearance". It's BMW givintg the dealer approval to replace a part after we submit a PuMA case outlining what we did to determine that the part is the problem. It's something that BMW has in place so that dealers don't go al willy-nilly replacing $1000 Nav units for no reason or just for "tries-eez".

ApproachingZero 10-05-2010 02:57 PM

Just got a call from the dealer, they are replacing the oil pump and will hopefully get it in tomorrow or Thursday. It took a little effort to plead my case, but all seems to be on the correct path.

Below is a video I took of the noise last week. Might help those that are trying to diagnose the noise

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/nlorenzen1/?action=view&current=BMW_X5_Whine.mp4

Sorry the link it split up, but I'm using my phone.

jerman 10-05-2010 03:04 PM

Approaching zero

As you can see we all seem to be dealing with this ridiculous noise for a 75k truck. My dealer said it was the alternator, did yours rule it out before getting or ordering the oil pump.

mecheng1 10-05-2010 03:49 PM

X5 50i engine whine driving me crazy

I now have suffered through 7,000 miles on my 2011 X5 50i. The whine is driving me mad. As others have observed it occurs at around 2000 rpm whether driving in first or second gear, or stationary in neutral. The noise would embarrass even a Lada driver. I have taken the car to 2 different dealers. At first they insist that they cannot hear any noise and no one else has ever complained about it. Of course they just lie through their teeth. After I have pressed them, and had their mechanic ride with me, they suggest that "they all do that, just turn up the radio".
I would not really want to speculate what the problem is but it seems that it might be the alternator clutch which disengages on acceleration, and engages when braking. However the fact that I paid $80K for this car and BMW doesn't care about this problem is pushing me to cut my losses and trade it for a Cayenne S, although I really don't want to do that.

I have also noticed that the 7 series forums have also complained about the same issue with the 750i which has the same powertrain and gear box. Coincidence?

jerman 10-05-2010 03:57 PM

I was told from my service rep that the 7 series noise is different, but who knows? Really disappointed because my 2007 x5 4.8 never gave me a problem. The frustrating aspect of this is that the service dept makes us seem nuts for harping over this sound. Too think all of us are just tuning into the noise. I am having an associate research the recourse if any, for us.

CAX5 10-05-2010 05:00 PM

I have heard nothing at all like this. Mine sounds like a mean 8 CYL. I wonder if its just a bad batch of Alternators or Oil Pumps?

TheWanderer 10-05-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAX5 (Post 5522026)
I have heard nothing at all like this. Mine sounds like a mean 8 CYL. I wonder if its just a bad batch of Alternators or Oil Pumps?

I haven't noticed anything like this yet either but I've only got a bit over 330 miles on mine so far. When did others begin noticing this, or was it immediate?

mecheng1 10-05-2010 05:26 PM

X5 50i whine

I noticed it soon after taking delivery at the Spartanburg factory. It was most noticable at slow speeds, say when driving through a subdivision in first and second gear. It was also noticable during driving thorugh the mountains. It seems to have become progressively worse as time goes by.
It must sounds terrible to someone standing on the sidewalk. Embarrassing is the word that keeps springing to mind. I am driving my wife crazy because she has to listen to me ranting and raving over the "whine". I love the vehicle other than for this defect. That for me is unacceptable. There is no reason that ANY vehicle should sound like this in 2010.

By the way, the factory delivery experience was really great and I would recommend it to anyone contemplating buying a new BMW. I even had the opportunity to do some hot laps in an M5, unfortunately only as a passenger.

ApproachingZero 10-05-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerman (Post 5521692)
Approaching zero

As you can see we all seem to be dealing with this ridiculous noise for a 75k truck. My dealer said it was the alternator, did yours rule it out before getting or ordering the oil pump.

At first the SA brought up the alternator, but after 2 days they sourced it to the oil pump. I did supply them with enough data from other forums and such that all point to the oil pump... After dropping the car off, I sent a e-mail with the video and this list of other models having the same issue:

2009 Ė Current 750i forum thread

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=485734

2010-Current X5M forum thread

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ine-sound.html
One dealer replaced the following parts:
11-28-7-549-873 belt tensioner X1
11-28-7-565-361 ribbed v-belt X1
11-28-7-570-266 ribbed v-belt X

The owner reports that the sound again returned after driving in M-mode so the car is going back

2011 BMW X5 forum:

http://wwww.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?p=5510269

Quote:

Originally Posted by mecheng1 (Post 5521806)
I now have suffered through 7,000 miles on my 2011 X5 50i. The whine is driving me mad. As others have observed it occurs at around 2000 rpm whether driving in first or second gear, or stationary in neutral. The noise would embarrass even a Lada driver. I have taken the car to 2 different dealers. At first they insist that they cannot hear any noise and no one else has ever complained about it. Of course they just lie through their teeth. After I have pressed them, and had their mechanic ride with me, they suggest that "they all do that, just turn up the radio".
I would not really want to speculate what the problem is but it seems that it might be the alternator clutch which disengages on acceleration, and engages when braking. However the fact that I paid $80K for this car and BMW doesn't care about this problem is pushing me to cut my losses and trade it for a Cayenne S, although I really don't want to do that.

I have also noticed that the 7 series forums have also complained about the same issue with the 750i which has the same powertrain and gear box. Coincidence?

The alternator could be a option, but I hear the noise on acceleration and deceleration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerman (Post 5521834)
I was told from my service rep that the 7 series noise is different, but who knows? Really disappointed because my 2007 x5 4.8 never gave me a problem. The frustrating aspect of this is that the service dept makes us seem nuts for harping over this sound. Too think all of us are just tuning into the noise. I am having an associate research the recourse if any, for us.

Well, according to the 7-series thread above, the symptoms are the same. It might be more muffled in the 7 due to added insulation

Quote:

Originally Posted by mecheng1 (Post 5522084)
I noticed it soon after taking delivery at the Spartanburg factory. It was most noticable at slow speeds, say when driving through a subdivision in first and second gear. It was also noticable during driving thorugh the mountains. It seems to have become progressively worse as time goes by.
It must sounds terrible to someone standing on the sidewalk. Embarrassing is the word that keeps springing to mind. I am driving my wife crazy because she has to listen to me ranting and raving over the "whine". I love the vehicle other than for this defect. That for me is unacceptable. There is no reason that ANY vehicle should sound like this in 2010.

Same here on all accounts... Hopefully this fix solves the problem because I love this vehicle.

miguel8286 10-05-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApproachingZero (Post 5521675)
Just got a call from the dealer, they are replacing the oil pump and will hopefully get it in tomorrow or Thursday. It took a little effort to plead my case, but all seems to be on the correct path.

Below is a video I took of the noise last week. Might help those that are trying to diagnose the noise

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_X5_Whine.mp4

Sorry the link it split up, but I'm using my phone.

That's exactly what my car's whine sounds like!!

Btw, I love that V8.. sounds so damn beautiful! (Except for that retarded golf cart noise)

Car still in the dealership. They're waiting for a response from BMW.

miguel8286 10-06-2010 08:30 AM

Just got an update this morning:

"About 630-645 last night I had the tech tell me he ordered the Oil pump. Later this morning I will see if we stock the part"

They'll probably need to get a custom built oil pump sent.

By the way, they were nice enough to give me a 2011 740Li loaner. Cool car but definitely prefer my X5.

mecheng1 10-06-2010 08:36 AM

I have my fingers crossed for you. Did they say what type of pump? an engine oil pump I presume?

thanks

miguel8286 10-06-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mecheng1 (Post 5523464)
I have my fingers crossed for you. Did they say what type of pump? an engine oil pump I presume?

thanks

Most probably the engine oil pump since they ruled out the transmission since the beginning.