Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Review of F10 550I by Autoblog (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486703)

jimefam 09-24-2010 11:14 AM

Review of F10 550I by Autoblog

Not a technical review but here you go anyways.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/24/2...est/#continued

tadtaggert 09-24-2010 11:40 AM

The comments on the strength of the engine have me wondering, the E60 550i has some nice 0-60 numbers. Have a friend (long way away in Cal) who says his F10 550i does 0-60 in 5.5 or so based on his OBD II equipped monitor. I know if feels fast, but didn't think it felt that fast, I too would like to see a more technical review.

EDIT: Sorry, friend told me 4.5, typo on my part.

TMQ 09-24-2010 04:06 PM

Actually pretty detailed report. This further confirms that BMW is now really targeting the crowds buying MB and Lexus.

bm323 09-28-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMQ (Post 5495437)
Actually pretty detailed report. This further confirms that BMW is now really targeting the crowds buying MB and Lexus.

Any possibility they are targetting their traditional crowd as well as the other one? :thumbup:

Emission 09-28-2010 12:14 PM

I wrote the review on Autoblog (and I am also a long-time moderator on Bimmerfest). Let me know if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them. :thumbup:

It's not a technical review, as we covered that in an earlier review (January 2010).

- Mike

Emission 09-28-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadtaggert (Post 5494796)
The comments on the strength of the engine have me wondering, the E60 550i has some nice 0-60 numbers. Have a friend (long way away in Cal) who says his F10 550i does 0-60 in 5.5 or so based on his OBD II equipped monitor. I know if feels fast, but didn't think it felt that fast, I too would like to see a more technical review.

I didn't mention this in the story, but I hooked the 550i up to electronic test equipment and pulled a 0-60 in 5.12 seconds. It would have been quicker with the Sport Automatic transmission, as there was significant delay between gear engagement.

- Mike

tadtaggert 09-28-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission (Post 5503918)
I didn't mention this in the story, but I hooked the 550i up to electronic test equipment and pulled a 0-60 in 5.12 seconds. It would have been quicker with the Sport Automatic transmission, as there was significant delay between gear engagement.

- Mike

Thanks,

Since I posted this the C&D review came out with their numbers for both auto and 6MT, yours are much more in line with those, I've since told Dan he's full of ---t.

EDIT: Went back and read my original post, my friend had told me 4.5, my typo on 5.5.

Emission 09-28-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadtaggert (Post 5503949)
Thanks,

Since I posted this the C&D review came out with their numbers for both auto and 6MT, yours are much more in line with those, I've since told Dan he's full of ---t.

:D

I don't flog on the car either. My 0-60 test was put it in "D" and floor the car from a standstill (traction control in dynamic mode).

- Mike

DXK 09-28-2010 12:39 PM

Those numbers are very similar to those of 335i in spite of extra hp / torque. Must be due to weight, looks like extra 800 pounds?

Emission 09-28-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 5503988)
Those numbers are very similar to those of 335i in spite of extra hp / torque. Must be due to weight, looks like extra 800 pounds?

And, the 335i is no featherweight either (I used to have one).

The 550i is significantly heavier than the 535i too. One can only wonder how fast the 550i would be at 4,000 pounds the engine is a workhorse.

- Mike

DXK 09-28-2010 12:46 PM

N63 is 250 lb heavier than N55?

Emission 09-28-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 5504012)
N63 is 250 lb heavier than N55?

I'm not sure, but there are other things that make the 550i heavier, like brakes, suspension, engine mounts, accessories, etc...

- Mike

jimefam 09-28-2010 01:27 PM

Has anyone actually weighed the car? If I remember correctly insideline weighed the 535i and found it to be significantly less then BMW reported.

quackbury 09-28-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission (Post 5503906)
I wrote the review on Autoblog (and I am also a long-time moderator on Bimmerfest). Let me know if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them. :thumbup:

It's not a technical review, as we covered that in an earlier review (January 2010).

- Mike

Mike, that is a VERY nicely written review. After +/- 40 years of reading automotive journalism, it's a rarity to come across something that is concise, informative, and, well, different. Purdy, David E., and the young Satch (back in his Autoweek and Competition Press days) could do it consistently, and Brock, Jean and Peter Egan had their moments, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Your opening comparison to General Sherman was inspired, and props for adding details most would overlook, like the baby seat reference, and the trip down-mountain with the xenons.

Congrats on a nice piece of work! :thumbup:

nosnoop 09-28-2010 03:35 PM

Nice balanced review Mike, unlike Jonny's unnecessarily harsh review on the GT.

Emission 09-28-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quackbury (Post 5504214)
Mike, that is a VERY nicely written review. After +/- 40 years of reading automotive journalism, it's a rarity to come across something that is concise, informative, and, well, different. Purdy, David E., and the young Satch (back in his Autoweek and Competition Press days) could do it consistently, and Brock, Jean and Peter Egan had their moments, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Your opening comparison to General Sherman was inspired, and props for adding details most would overlook, like the baby seat reference, and the trip down-mountain with the xenons.

Congrats on a nice piece of work! :thumbup:

Thank you very much. I figure the major mags do all of the numbers crunching, so I write about what I find important.

I have a soft spot for the 5 Series, as it was the first car I learned how to drive stick (E28 533i) and I took one to prom (way back when).

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosnoop (Post 5504486)
Nice balanced review Mike, unlike Jonny's unnecessarily harsh review on the GT.

Jonny is a great guy, but we all have our opinions. However, I am convinced that I know BMWs better than nearly everyone on the Autoblog team. ;)

You know, I had the ALPINA B7 the week before the 550i... and I liked the 550i better. That said, if I had to choose one vehicle to drive LA - NY tomorrow, it would be a 550i. It offers a great combination of speed, sport, stealth, and comfort.

Oh, I am working on an E28 1988 M5 story now. Look for it next week. Now, that was a fun car!

- Mike

melor 10-01-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission (Post 5503906)

- Mike

Mike, your article was a great read. Thanks. I do have a question. You mention that with the 5 series tending towards more luxury and less sport compared to the prior 5, that there is an opportunity for more sporting cars in this size class to pull from the 5 market.

"The remaining question is whether this change in focus will let enough light through the 5 Series' stifling canopy for more sporting competitors to grab a foothold."

What cars do you feel fill that niche? Are they available now, or are you speculating that competition might head that direction. I ask because while the direction that BMW is heading seems away from sporting with the new 5, I cannot think of a more sporting alternative...

To be honest, I am 48, and the 5 series seems like just the right amount of pampering and performance... While I love the way my 335 coupe hustles when I want go-fast, the bounce and jitters that I endure during a non-sporting sprint are starting to rattle my rapidly aging frame.

Thanks again for a great review. Just the type of information I am seeking. I hope you get the opportunity to take a 550 with the m-sport package and a sport transmission on a similar ride to give a comparative report. It happens that a 550 with the m-sport option is the car I have my eye on...

Paul

Emission 10-01-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melor (Post 5513316)
Mike, your article was a great read. Thanks. I do have a question. You mention that with the 5 series tending towards more luxury and less sport compared to the prior 5, that there is an opportunity for more sporting cars in this size class to pull from the 5 market.

"The remaining question is whether this change in focus will let enough light through the 5 Series' stifling canopy for more sporting competitors to grab a foothold."

What cars do you feel fill that niche? Are they available now, or are you speculating that competition might head that direction. I ask because while the direction that BMW is heading seems away from sporting with the new 5, I cannot think of a more sporting alternative...

To be honest, I am 48, and the 5 series seems like just the right amount of pampering and performance... While I love the way my 335 coupe hustles when I want go-fast, the bounce and jitters that I endure during a non-sporting sprint are starting to rattle my rapidly aging frame.

Thanks again for a great review. Just the type of information I am seeking. I hope you get the opportunity to take a 550 with the m-sport package and a sport transmission on a similar ride to give a comparative report. It happens that a 550 with the m-sport option is the car I have my eye on...

Paul

Great question.

Truth is, the Mercedes-Benz E550 is quite solid. It's not everyone's cup of tea (not really mine either), but fitted with the Sport Package, it will give the 550i a run for its money on public roads. (I drove the 2011 E63 AMG the other day on the track, and I was very impressed.)

Also, keep in mind the Porsche Panamera V6 starts in the mid-$70s. It only seats four, but it is much more comfortable than a 5 Series (for those four), very sporty and more prestigous. It will run circles around many smaller sports cars. I spent several days with the Panamera V6 in Germany on the Autobahn earlier this year - it can fly.

That said, for <$70,000, I'd get a 550i Sport. However, if you start adding up the options and you find yourself >$70,000... go for the Panamera.

- Mike

DXK 10-02-2010 06:02 AM

And one can get 550i with Sport package, Dynamic Handling, Sport Auto tranny for under $60k with Euro Delivery.

Emission 10-02-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 5513850)
And one can get 550i with Sport package, Dynamic Handling, Sport Auto tranny for under $60k with Euro Delivery.

There's a great solution.

- Mike

melor 10-03-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 5513850)

So if I want to drive it in Southern California, how much will it cost me to get it home?

Paul

DXK 10-03-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melor (Post 5515349)
So if I want to drive it in Southern California, how much will it cost me to get it home?

Paul

Is your question about logistics of European Delivery? If so, please go to European Delivery forum on this site, or browse the Wiki here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...opean_Delivery

Also, see BMWUSA.com Euro del section.
should you still have questions regarding the program, please please post them on ED forum to get the best answers.

melor 10-03-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 5515696)
Is your question about logistics of European Delivery? If so, please go to European Delivery forum on this site, or browse the Wiki here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...opean_Delivery

Also, see BMWUSA.com Euro del section.
should you still have questions regarding the program, please please post them on ED forum to get the best answers.

Great reply. Thanks. A ton of info there!

Paul