Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Drivers Side Power Windows stop working 2004 X3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491702)

dgilstrap121 10-15-2010 04:39 AM

Drivers Side Power Windows stop working 2004 X3

I have a 2004 X3 that the driver’s side main window switch has stop working. Windows and Mirrors.
All other switch’s work and I have replaced the drive side with new switch and this did not solve the problem, is there a relay that may be bad?
The switch will work sometimes if you hold button down, But this is very sporadic.

szee1 10-15-2010 06:01 PM

Could be the window motor.

Supercourse 10-15-2010 07:50 PM

Wouldn't think there would be a relay or control device serving each door individually.

Are you sure you got the right part no. for the replacement switch?
There seems to be at least 3 variations, 61313414352/4 and 5,

depending on presence or absence of folding mirrors, seat/mirror memory.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=61&fg=35

It's surprising that it's a part requiring a core exchange - must mean that the new ones are rebuilt. Maybe you got a bad one.

Or, any chance water or something got in there to cause the original problem and contacts still need to be cleaned or dried out?

dgilstrap121 10-16-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercourse (Post 5548321)
Wouldn't think there would be a relay or control device serving each door individually.

It's surprising that it's a part requiring a core exchange - must mean that the new ones are rebuilt. Maybe you got a bad one.

Or, any chance water or something got in there to cause the original problem and contacts still need to be cleaned or dried out?

The switch was order by part number from existing switch, there must be a bad connection somehwere just not sure how to find it?
The switch will work sparaticly, but you have to hold down the button for 30 seconds or longer, the drivers outside mirror will work the same way but there is not adjustment when it moves it goes all the way out or in wiithout stopping, pasenager side mirror will not work with switch but does tilt and return when using reverse.
There is no signs of water any where in drivers door i have cleaned all connections. Some Guys from the BMW plant thought it might be a relay under dash i am going to look for that today. I just seems that switch is working but something is not allowing signal to pass thru correctly to specific control.
This one has me stumped?

dgilstrap121 10-16-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercourse (Post 5548321)

I think there is a master relay that seperates signals from master drivers switch. There are only four wires out of master switch.

vuzur 10-17-2010 10:52 PM

I had the same problem with my 04 x3 few months ago. Dealer first replaced driver side window switch and that didn't fix it. Then he replaced a left mirror motor and that fixed it.

dgilstrap121 10-18-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vuzur (Post 5552603)
I had the same problem with my 04 x3 few months ago. Dealer first replaced driver side window switch and that didn't fix it. Then he replaced a left mirror motor and that fixed it.

Did the mirrors work at all?
My drivers mirror will move after holding down switch for awhile sometimes a minute or more but passenger mirror will not responded at all.

vuzur 10-19-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgilstrap121 (Post 5552942)
Did the mirrors work at all?
My drivers mirror will move after holding down switch for awhile sometimes a minute or more but passenger mirror will not responded at all.

Yes they did the same way you describe-with latency. sometimes a minute. Memory buttons (drivers seat) and reverse, also did strange things with mirrors.
Also, when operated from passenger seats, windows worked normally.

st04vub 10-24-2010 10:14 AM

i have a similar fault

i was wanting to know if you got your window switch problem fixed and how?

dgilstrap121 11-02-2010 01:20 PM

window switch problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by st04vub (Post 5569580)
i was wanting to know if you got your window switch problem fixed and how?

Sorry I have not responed sooner, I have had no luck getting this fix, I have discussed this with 2Indy mechanics and they have never seen this problem. There has been the one post about replacing a mirror motor but i am not sure how to determine which one to replace, the drivers mirror will work on a delay with switch, passangers will not work with switch but will tilt when placed in reverse. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

st04vub 11-02-2010 05:25 PM

I have the same problem I've replaced the master control switch located in the drivers arm rest have checked impedance on all the wires running in and out of the door, no problems there, however when I've inspected the drivers door mirror I have found that there is some damage to the chip unit situated behind the mirror glass. The faults on my car are intermittent control of the windows by the drivers door window control and now my mirrors will not operate all other windows appear to operate by there own switches except the drivers whilst checking for impedance in the drivers door there was a power drain. It appears to be the mirror but without replacing another part I can't prove it?

dgilstrap121 11-03-2010 11:37 AM

Rep.kit f memory drive driver's side Mirror

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by st04vub (Post 5593712)
I have the same problem I've replaced the master control switch located in the drivers arm rest have checked impedance on all the wires running in and out of the door, no problems there, however when I've inspected the drivers door mirror I have found that there is some damage to the chip unit situated behind the mirror glass. The faults on my car are intermittent control of the windows by the drivers door window control and now my mirrors will not operate all other windows appear to operate by there own switches except the drivers whilst checking for impedance in the drivers door there was a power drain. It appears to be the mirror but without replacing another part I can't prove it?

I worked on this again yesterday and when using the memory seats buttons the mirors both worked, but drivers mirror will only adjust side to side not up & down, I am going to go ahead and try to replace, i have posted a question about DIY on mirror and which part do i need.

Number 6 >just the ACTUATOR LEFT
Number 7> Rep.kit f memory drive driver's side
I am assuming i can get mirror off without breaking.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...14&hg=51&fg=07

st04vub 11-03-2010 04:35 PM

The mirror comes away quiet easily once u have eased the insert off from the mirror side, just a quick query though my driving position is on the right side of the car I think this might explain previous post as to which mirror needs replacing

dgilstrap121 11-04-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st04vub (Post 5596453)
The mirror comes away quiet easily once u have eased the insert off from the mirror side, just a quick query though my driving position is on the right side of the car I think this might explain previous post as to which mirror needs replacing

Thanks, yes i have left hand drive and plan to replace only the actuator drivers side. About mirror do i pry off from side or bottom?

st04vub 11-04-2010 09:30 AM

I found it easier to remove the plastic trim around the mirror first

vuzur 11-04-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgilstrap121 (Post 5597741)
Thanks, yes i have left hand drive and plan to replace only the actuator drivers side. About mirror do i pry off from side or bottom?

My symptoms were exactly the same. Here is what mechanic wrote when he fixed my problem.

"found that driver switch block would not operate windows or mirrors unless buttons were held for long time. Found fault stored in gm for driver switch lock. Ran test plan ... Indicated to replace switch block. Installed new switch block and found no improvement. Found that lin bus was shorted. Disconnected driver mirror motor and found that lin bus was not working properly and that switch block would move mirrors and windows correctly. Replaced mirror motor and checked operation
Repl dr mirror motor.
1 67-13-6-965-061 rep kit f memory drive: 671010"

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

st04vub 11-07-2010 04:53 AM

Thanks I have come to the same conclusion ordered window mirror unit and can confirm a short on can bus ( on the mirror circuit board ), if it works I'll post

st04vub 11-11-2010 05:14 PM

Well it didn't work, shock!! I've now replaced driver door control and drivers mirror, some result though when I try and operate the mirrors both move together, well it's different.

st04vub 11-30-2010 04:18 PM

Problem solved blown circuit board in both mirrors

dgilstrap121 12-27-2010 08:58 AM

New drivers side Mirror Actuator fixed window problems

2 Attachment(s)
I finally got the part and replaced drivers side Mirror Actuator last week, this fixed the window switch problem. See pictures

I have a new window switch for sale if anyone needs one for Drivers side
PN#61313414354. Will sale for 60 dollars shipped.

xc17pilot 12-29-2011 09:36 PM

trouble shooting technique

I just went through the same problem in this older post with the driver's window master switches sporadically controlling the 4 windows up or down in addition to not being able to control the driver or passenger outer mirrors from this switch cluster.

All the seat memory buttons worked the mirrors as well as the passenger side mirror dipped when the transmission was placed in reverse. I too made the choice to try to replace the switch first with no success, this was the cheaper of the two options ($125 for the driver's switch or $245 for the right and/or left mirror replacement actuator and wiring kit). Now what? How to determine which mirror actuator assembly and wiring to replace?

I then had an idea to disconnect the white ribbon cable connector of the driver's side mirror actuator (located under the triangle of black trim of the mirror housing, inside of the door) and, with my original master switch, tried the windows. SUCCESS, all the windows worked normally and the passenger mirror worked as well. I wish I had thought of this trouble shooting method sooner to avoid buying the $125 switch that can not be returned to the BMW parts department since it is part of the electrical system :-(.

I hope the tip above saves the next readers trouble shooting time and money!!:thumbup:

can0n4 01-02-2012 04:13 PM

XC17Pilot,

Just tried this method with no success. Unplugged the battery, disconnected the drivers mirror, plugged in the batter, started the car, still nothing. Did the same with the passengers side to no avail... I was certain this would work after you posted! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the tip at least.

jamesfr 01-19-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by can0n4 (Post 6537127)
XC17Pilot,

Just tried this method with no success. Unplugged the battery, disconnected the drivers mirror, plugged in the batter, started the car, still nothing. Did the same with the passengers side to no avail... I was certain this would work after you posted! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the tip at least.

Any more ideas - guys....

I have unplugged both door mirrors from inside the door panel behind the mirror and still no luck - I have also changed the switch pack.

Driving me mad!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Same symptoms as other on here - a massive delay before anything works from the switch.

Please help!!

jamesfr 01-19-2012 04:26 AM

By disconecting the plug on the inside of the door, (behind where the mirror bolts on) I assume this disconnects the motor and any Lin problems with the mirror?

Can anyone else suggest any steps to help prove what parts I need to fix this. I am sure I have the lin bus fault just need to know what to buy to fix it as cheaply as possible.

Many thanks Guys!

can0n4 01-19-2012 09:53 AM

After you disconnected the mirrors and replaced the switch did you try unhooking the battery terminals and touching the two wires together to remove any residual power, wait 5 minutes then plug the battery back in? I just went through all of this as well. In the end a new switch fixed it.