Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Top View Camera (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492836)

X3forlife 10-19-2010 10:27 PM

Top View Camera

I understand the X3 will have a top view camera. How the hell can they do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkNIXDcMnOk

I don't get it. Can anyone explain? Does a camera take pictures than recreate a simulation or is it some satellite thing? I don't get it.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these?

Thanks.

ihumphrey 10-20-2010 03:08 AM

how it works

the car uses the side mounted cameras (i think in the mirrors and such) to create a view from above and then superimposes the car onto this constructed view giving you the "top view". It is a nice feature for parking in tight spaces.

X3forlife 10-20-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 5558766)
the car uses the side mounted cameras (i think in the mirrors and such) to create a view from above and then superimposes the car onto this constructed view giving you the "top view". It is a nice feature for parking in tight spaces.

Cool. It sounds like a lot of guessing. Have you seen one first hand?

Tlon 10-20-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3forlife (Post 5560600)
Cool. It sounds like a lot of guessing. Have you seen one first hand?

I've seen it in action on an X5. It's pretty cool, actually. It looks great, almost like they've zoomed in from a satellite.

pilotman 10-21-2010 09:32 AM

what a useless piece of technology...

if you can't judge distances well enough to park a vehicle....then you shouldn't be driving.:tsk:

Huey52 10-21-2010 10:33 AM

^ LOL Well, my 20+ year old daughter could sure use one so as not to curb rash her rims - but I do agree in principle.

cubed 10-21-2010 01:17 PM

no its not useless. To me its a great application of technology. More information is good. Especially if you have kiddies or pets.

X3forlife 10-21-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlon (Post 5561231)
I've seen it in action on an X5. It's pretty cool, actually. It looks great, almost like they've zoomed in from a satellite.

Cool. You know I'm going to be temped to put a picture of a car in front of the camera to see what happens. I can't see how a camera can process depth perception.

AzNMpower32 10-21-2010 07:03 PM

There are two small cameras mounted on the underside of the outside rearview mirrors. When the mirrors are in the normal position and PDC front is activated, there is a display on the iDrive screen. It is effective at getting your vehicle within the white lines. Not that it should be that hard in the first place.

Honestly, PDC sensors are sufficient for me, and I could even do without those.

Tlon 10-21-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotman (Post 5562473)

if you can't judge distances well enough to park a vehicle....then you shouldn't be driving.:tsk:

Sorry. Wasn't commenting on it's usefulness. I've driven for enough years without much of the "necessary" technology in cars these days, but that still doesn't mean the implementation isn't well done. It is. And if you've ever seen the bumpers of cars in a major city, clearly you'd know that some people can use this kind of thing. Just like the rest of us can use those useless seat belts to help us when we are unfortunate enough to encounter those people on the road. :rolleyes:

X3forlife 10-21-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5564011)
There are two small cameras mounted on the underside of the outside rearview mirrors. When the mirrors are in the normal position and PDC front is activated, there is a display on the iDrive screen. It is effective at getting your vehicle within the white lines. Not that it should be that hard in the first place.

Honestly, PDC sensors are sufficient for me, and I could even do without those.

Again, thanks.

You are one of the most informed posters. You still never answered my question about Rear Entertainment that I was hoping you would answer under the accessories thread. I saw something that said the Rear users could surf the internet if the Rear Entertainment system was ordered. I doubt they would have that in the US since the RES is a dealer option.

AzNMpower32 10-22-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3forlife (Post 5564345)
Again, thanks.

You are one of the most informed posters. You still never answered my question about Rear Entertainment that I was hoping you would answer under the accessories thread. I saw something that said the Rear users could surf the internet if the Rear Entertainment system was ordered. I doubt they would have that in the US since the RES is a dealer option.

BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.

X3forlife 10-22-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5564804)
BMW hasn't developed a Rear Entertainment System for the new X3 yet. I don't see it as an option in the Configurator nor in the German Accessory catalogue.

Oh wow...you have the accessory catalog? Is there anything cool in there? I assumed the RES would be in the accessory catalog. I like the one they originally had (that I have) which was in the head rest. It doesn't take up any rear legroom or obstruct your sight.

In the accessories thread I have posted a quote which has BMW talking about internet for rear passengers in cars that have the RES. I assumed the technology would be passed on. Have you seen rear internet for any other type of BMW through the RES?

Maybe they're saving that for 2012...gotta have something new...lol

Evlengr 10-25-2010 09:03 PM

They missed the boat on this one as a nice screen with a swivel mount could have easily been incorporated into the drop down armrest with a small SSD hard drive to reduce shock and give instant access to hundreds if not thousands of videos.

X3forlife 10-25-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 5573943)
They missed the boat on this one as a nice screen with a swivel mount could have easily been incorporated into the drop down armrest with a small SSD hard drive to reduce shock and give instant access to hundreds if not thousands of videos.

Nice humor. lol

Evlengr 10-25-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3forlife (Post 5573990)
Nice humor. lol

Actually no humor intended. I am working on a design for it now. They bent over backwards to put all sorts of other silly frivilous things in the new X3 why not an entertainment system.

Backing up monitors are a good example.

Most people that buy the X3 (gen X'ers) want an M class or the like, but have to be pratical due to family concerns, so we split the difference and get the "Family Race Car". The X3 is born.

So I currently place a small portable DVD player wtih velcro on the armrest for my daughter on long trips (we try not to "plug her in") like so many other parents, but it is a nice addition and commensurate with all the other add ons to this vehicle.

ihumphrey 10-26-2010 01:44 AM

ipad doc another option

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5564804)

I actually really liked the ipad bracket they showed on the F25 at the paris auto show. This would be far less than 2K to integrate something and can be removed for when you don't want it. Even with the ipad it would be under 1K.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...pedx3ipad2.jpg

pault 10-26-2010 06:39 AM

Does anyone have any knowledge of thoughts on the difference between option 3AG - Rear View Camera and 3AH - Rear View Camera with Top View (which is part of the ZTP Technology Package)

3AG - Rear View Camera is $400 and listed as a separate option and does not indicate it's included in an package options.

So, is it the better/different/same as 3AH - Rear View Camera with Top View?

yikes98 10-26-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilotman (Post 5562473)

To each his own I guess. I was in the rental yard backing up to hook up a trailer to my X5 and there was a real old crusty dude in a F250 parked parallel to the trailer mount (wait his turn to unload something i guess). Though I've trailered many thing in the past without a cam, using the cams and I placed the ball right under on the ball mount in the 1st shot. He said nice job. I said thanks and laughed under my breath. (Not useless!) :cool:

X3forlife 10-26-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 5574198)
Actually no humor intended. I am working on a design for it now. They bent over backwards to put all sorts of other silly frivilous things in the new X3 why not an entertainment system.

Backing up monitors are a good example.

Most people that buy the X3 (gen X'ers) want an M class or the like, but have to be pratical due to family concerns, so we split the difference and get the "Family Race Car". The X3 is born.

So I currently place a small portable DVD player wtih velcro on the armrest for my daughter on long trips (we try not to "plug her in") like so many other parents, but it is a nice addition and commensurate with all the other add ons to this vehicle.

Oh...I see what you mean.

My car has the one in the head rests. The DVD player in inside that armrest. They removed the storage department and left a smaller storage next to the DVD player. It sends a signal to both 7" screens.

I like those better because they don't get in the way.

Under the accessories thread, I included the current available options. I think they have moved away from the head rest one to a flip up one behind the seats.

The flaw to the one I have is they didn't have American connectors (RCA, etc). They have this single cord European thing. They have parts you can order but it would be tacky hanging and it would go to each monitor separately. They need to come up with something you can attach to the DVD player itself so it comes on both monitors.

One thing to consider is in the next few years we will be moving more and more towards Blueray. It would be better if they would make the DVD player Blueray capable or at least be able to downconvert the Blueray signal. Nobody needs 1080p on 7 inch monitors.

X3forlife 10-26-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 5574238)
I actually really liked the ipad bracket they showed on the F25 at the paris auto show. This would be far less than 2K to integrate something and can be removed for when you don't want it. Even with the ipad it would be under 1K.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...pedx3ipad2.jpg

It looks cool but I wondered about encouraging thieves by leaving it there.

It still doesn't have the same movie function.

1. There needs to be a way to get the same DVD signal to both I-pads. Some kind of wire that could be plugged into both without looking tacky would be ideal. Wireless would be awesome.

2. There is the issue of sound. With the RES there are 2 headsets the rear viewers can wear.

If it cannot cover the above 2, then it seems gimmicky to have it mounted because you could just hide it and pull it out for someone to use on his/her lap.

Maybe in the future the above 2 can be solved.