Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   K&N Air Filters (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496222)

emimix 11-03-2010 06:29 PM

K&N Air Filters
 
Hi,

I plan to replace my F10 air filter with K&N air filter.... does anyone know where can I locate the air filter on the F10?! :confused:

http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/st..._050.jpg?w=530

THX

Needsdecaf 11-03-2010 06:47 PM

Curious...what are you hoping to gain?

1HOT BMR 11-03-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emimix (Post 5596609)
Hi,

I plan to replace my F10 air filter with K&N air filter.... does anyone know where can I locate the air filter on the F10?! :confused:

http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/st..._050.jpg?w=530

THX

The only thing you will gain is more induction noise - if that is what you are after, I understand. Other than that, the switch will be all negative - no additional power and less filtration allowing more dirt into the engine. :thumbdwn:

TJPark01 11-04-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR (Post 5597282)
The only thing you will gain is more induction noise - if that is what you are after, I understand. Other than that, the switch will be all negative - no additional power and less filtration allowing more dirt into the engine. :thumbdwn:

Exactamundo!

Quick11 11-04-2010 08:56 AM

Been there....done that! Not worth the effort with respect to any slight gain and as stated previously ...poorer filtration

emimix 11-04-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR (Post 5597282)
The only thing you will gain is more induction noise - if that is what you are after, I understand. Other than that, the switch will be all negative - no additional power and less filtration allowing more dirt into the engine. :thumbdwn:

From the hundreds of reviews and the people who use them, the K&N air filter design is superior to a paper element (OEM) because it allows for superior filtration without sacrificing air flow for a longer period of time ....many high performance cars use them

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

My brother uses 2 K&N air filters in his Infiniti FX50S, and he loves them....he says he will never go back to his OEM filters.

So.... anyone knows where can I locate the F10 air filter? :)

Emilner 11-04-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emimix (Post 5598163)
From the hundreds of reviews and the people who use them, the K&N air filter design is superior to a paper element (OEM) because it allows for superior filtration without sacrificing air flow for a longer period of time ....many high performance cars use them

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

My brother uses 2 K&N air filters in his Infiniti FX50S, and he loves them....he says he will never go back to his OEM filters.

So.... anyone knows where can I locate the F10 air filter? :)

I do not know if they have filters yet for the f10.

That being said, with the new strict CAFE requirements on mpgs it is hard to imagine there would be a way to just bolt on an airfilter in an existing box to gain hp and mileage. It was certainly true a decade ago, but since then the manufacturers have aggressively wrung those easy to find hps and mpgs out of the cars. That is why todays filters are so much bigger and often have 2 vs 1 filter.

You also run the risk of filter oil clogging the sensors which do void engine malfunctions when they are proven to cause the problem.

Diver624 11-04-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emimix (Post 5598163)
From the hundreds of reviews and the people who use them, the K&N air filter design is superior to a paper element (OEM) because it allows for superior filtration without sacrificing air flow for a longer period of time ....many high performance cars use them

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

My brother uses 2 K&N air filters in his Infiniti FX50S, and he loves them....he says he will never go back to his OEM filters.

So.... anyone knows where can I locate the F10 air filter? :)

Why does you brother like them, has he measured any power/torque difference on a dyno? Do you really think an auto manufacturer would use an air filter that restricts power when they spend enormous amounts of time and money trying to get even small increases in power from these engines. If such a cheap, simple item really increases power I have no doubt the manufacturers would be using them. K&N is a marketing company. Additionally if you use one of the oiled K&N filters your asking for trouble with your MAF (mass air flow sensor).

johnbmw6 11-04-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diver624@aol.co (Post 5598500)
Why does you brother like them, has he measured any power/torque difference on a dyno? Do you really think an auto manufacturer would use an air filter that restricts power when they spend enormous amounts of time and money trying to get even small increases in power from these engines. If such a cheap, simple item really increases power I have no doubt the manufacturers would be using them. K&N is a marketing company. Additionally if you use one of the oiled K&N filters your asking for trouble with your MAF (mass air flow sensor).

TBH BMW cars are all running rich from the factory, this poor ecu set-up is due to cars being fed all sorts of poor fuel quality throughout the world, the ECU remaps enhance premium fuelled car set-ups, and give more BHP and better fuel economy as well as better running.:thumbup:
There is always "some Power" to be gained by this method regardless of Turbos or Naturally aspirated.

emimix 11-04-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilner (Post 5598195)
I do not know if they have filters yet for the f10.

That being said, with the new strict CAFE requirements on mpgs it is hard to imagine there would be a way to just bolt on an airfilter in an existing box to gain hp and mileage. It was certainly true a decade ago, but since then the manufacturers have aggressively wrung those easy to find hps and mpgs out of the cars. That is why todays filters are so much bigger and often have 2 vs 1 filter.

You also run the risk of filter oil clogging the sensors which do void engine malfunctions when they are proven to cause the problem.


OEM stuff are not optimal so you keep getting back for replacements

it already compared OEM with KN
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2970.pdf

the filter is not about power, but better ventilation and air flow ...it's also more $$ than the OEM, and you dont' need to change it for life

TJPark01 11-04-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emimix (Post 5598664)
OEM stuff are not optimal so you keep getting back for replacements

it already compared OEM with KN
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2970.pdf

the filter is not about power, but better ventilation and air flow ...it's also more $$ than the OEM, and you dont' need to change it for life

If you want better power and airflow, you'll get a heck of a lot more from the swapping out the computer, that controls everything. Swapping out paper filters for K&N may give you more power at full throttle, but I doubt it's noticeable with a OEM ECU.
Also the cost of the K&N over stock makes the "save money change it for life" argument, mute, since it would take you 10 years to be on the + side of that monetary equation. Assuming you keep the car that long.

Billd104 11-04-2010 01:36 PM

Perhaps one who is unable to locate the air filter should not be replacing same? :angel: Just a thought. :D My advice... Stay away from K & N filters, you're just asking for trouble.

Diver624 11-04-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbmw6 (Post 5598551)
TBH BMW cars are all running rich from the factory, this poor ecu set-up is due to cars being fed all sorts of poor fuel quality throughout the world, the ECU remaps enhance premium fuelled car set-ups, and give more BHP and better fuel economy as well as better running.:thumbup:
There is always "some Power" to be gained by this method regardless of Turbos or Naturally aspirated.

I was only referring to changing the air filter to a K&N filter which will not produce any gains and might cause problems if you use the oiled version.
An ECU re-map will, especially on a turbocharged car produce HP/Torque gains but will void your warranty.

Emilner 11-04-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emimix (Post 5598664)
OEM stuff are not optimal so you keep getting back for replacements

it already compared OEM with KN
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2970.pdf

the filter is not about power, but better ventilation and air flow ...it's also more $$ than the OEM, and you dont' need to change it for life

So what you are saying is that faced with tens of millions in fines from CAFE and ever escalating costs to get another 1/2 mile to the gallon (the same reason you would get more hp is the reason you would get more MPG), BMW has cheaped out and put in a sub par filter to save a buck? Seriously quit with the snake oil...

1HOT BMR 11-04-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emimix (Post 5598664)
OEM stuff are not optimal so you keep getting back for replacements

it already compared OEM with KN
http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2970.pdf

the filter is not about power, but better ventilation and air flow ...it's also more $$ than the OEM, and you dont' need to change it for life

It might be one of those things that you must do regardless of anyone's advice. If you are young enough then it may be exactly that. For some of us older guys we've done it too - springs, exhausts, shocks, turbos, K&Ns and much more without much gain with the exception of noise and a harsher ride. You'd be wise taking the advice but you may not want to because you just need to do it - if that's the case, go ahead with that K&N swap, even if the extra power and better running of your engine is not true you will just "know" that it's running better and it will make you happy regardless.

Aronis 11-04-2010 05:54 PM

Oil from the filter (if over oiled and not properly dried) will damage the mass air flow sensor. Be careful.

johnbmw6 11-04-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aronis (Post 5599540)
Oil from the filter (if over oiled and not properly dried) will damage the mass air flow sensor. Be careful.

IF of course your engine has one, the E92/90 M3 does not. I am not sure if the 550i has or not till mine arrives.
I did use the BMC filter on the M3 and it did give some BHP about 4BHP and increased the induction noise, it did sound nice with the remap. I will not go this route with the 550i M sport though ;) must be getting old.:angel:

bklyn550 11-05-2010 10:24 PM

Dinan wont void warranty and adds 95hp. 100 ftlb torque its 3000

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp

Diver624 11-07-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklyn550 (Post 5603182)
Dinan wont void warranty and adds 95hp. 100 ftlb torque its 3000

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp

Are you saying that BMW supports the Dinan modifications. If you can get that in writing then go for it.

Gre8tW8LL 01-27-2013 02:41 PM

Emimix,
Did you end up buying the K&N air filter? if so, did you notice any gains or better air flow? I believe in K&N as i used to have it in my Accord back in the day. It definitely breathe better.

m6pwr 01-27-2013 03:14 PM

I tried K&N once a long time ago. I did used oil analysis, too. The ppm silicon (dirt) in the used oil analysis nearly tripled after the K&N - - almost to the labs condemnation point around 20+ ppm IIRC. I never used one again. The K&N does reduce the inertia of the air column in the intake track (removing the filter altogether does, too) which gives you a feeling of a more sensitive throttle response, which in turn is mistaken for more power. But it's all smoke and mirrors, pure illusion.

By the way, BMW does recognize DINAN. Many BMW dealers are also DINAN dealers and DINAN warranties their mods/software. If the dealer updates your factory software/ecu when you have the car in for service (which they do all the time and which will wipe your DINAN), and if they're a DINAN dealer, they will reload whatever DINAN performance stage you have at no charge - - it's part of the DINAN warranty. Don't think other mod houses do this.

K-A 01-28-2013 12:54 AM

I was thinking about it, but I know from Mercedes and now apparently BMW, K&N filters don't do much except add more risk and throw the "balance" off, per-se. Seems these motors are engineered to a degree where a K&N won't help at all (maybe hurt?). I wouldn't mind extra induction noise especially from a Turbo, though. At the same time, I love the quietness of this car where you hear some deep engine noise around town (subtle and "pleasant"), but only "truly" hear it when you get on it, nice balance IMO.

schnell525 01-28-2013 03:54 AM

back in my C5 A6 days putting in a K&N was a no-no due to problems with sensors, like MAF.

i can't see sticking one of those in and incredibly expensive machine like at 550. nake oil imo.

The X Men 01-28-2013 06:30 AM

emimix, make sure you get some of that Slick 50 oil treatment and Tornado fuel saver when you put in the K&N filter :) :)

AggieKnight 01-28-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7342807)
emimix, make sure you get some of that Slick 50 oil treatment and Tornado fuel saver when you put in the K&N filter :) :)

LOL.

I had a K&N air filter in my heavily modified Tegra and it definitely "sounded" faster than OEM. Whether it had a larger impact on the car than the japanese characters I had painted on the door, I'm not sure.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms