Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   09-35i vs 11-35is (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497914)

split decision 11-10-2010 04:37 PM

09-35i vs 11-35is

What is the difference between these two besides the extra 30 hp?

teagueAMX 11-10-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by split decision (Post 5615618)
What is the difference between these two besides the extra 30 hp?

Price ;)

The 35i normally has 300 lb-ft of torque, whereas the 35is normally has 330 lb-ft of torque, but for short bursts maximum torque with overboost function increases to 369 lb-ft.

The 35is includes the M Sport Package which is a option on the 35i.

The 35is has different front and rear bumper fascias.

The 35is has computer programing differences that are designed to make the steering, ride and shifting somewhat more sportier.

The 35is has a number of interior trim differences, which in some cases are included in the 35i M Sport Package (e.g., steering wheel) or may be unique to the 35i (e.g., door threshold and floor mats)

Couple of exterior color options are different. Example: Crimson Red is not available on the 35is, and Melbourne Red Metallic is available on the 35is, but available on 35i only if you get the M Sport Package.

Here's a couple of links:

2011 35i and 35is specs, packages and options in PDF format

Z4 Series Overview

You may also download a free brochure

BlueZ4AZ 11-10-2010 08:12 PM

2 years and an "s"

teagueAMX 11-10-2010 09:32 PM

Lol

TeeZee 11-10-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teagueAMX (Post 5615976)
Price ;)

The 35i normally has 300 lb-ft of torque, whereas the 35is normally has 330 lb-ft of torque, but for short bursts maximum torque with overboost function increases to 369 lb-ft.

The 35is includes the M Sport Package which is a option on the 35i.

The 35is has different front and rear bumper fascias.

The 35is has computer programing differences that are designed to make the steering, ride and shifting somewhat more sportier.

The 35is has a number of interior trim differences, which in some cases are included in the 35i M Sport Package (e.g., steering wheel) or may be unique to the 35i (e.g., door threshold and floor mats)

Couple of exterior color options are different. Example: Crimson Red is not available on the 35is, and Melbourne Red Metallic is available on the 35is, but available on 35i only if you get the M Sport Package.

Here's a couple of links:

2011 35i and 35is specs, packages and options in PDF format

Z4 Series Overview

You may also download a free brochure

Nice recap! You forgot those snazzy silver mirrors!

split decision 11-11-2010 05:05 AM

Thanks. I just was not sure if there were any performance changes. I can live without the S on the side. Is there any way to gain the extra HP without voiding the warranty?

teagueAMX 11-11-2010 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by split decision (Post 5616694)
Thanks. I just was not sure if there were any performance changes. I can live without the S on the side. Is there any way to gain the extra HP without voiding the warranty?

If you're referring to the horsepower difference between the 35i and 35is, yes, the horsepower is available whenever you step on the Go Pedal. Now, if you want more, there are other ways such as software flash and a "piggyback", but there is a risk of voiding your warranty. The only company that back their product with a warranty is Dinan software flash.

There are a number of members here who can speak to these upgrades on their cars.

teagueAMX 11-11-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeZee (Post 5616445)
Nice recap! You forgot those snazzy silver mirrors!

Thanks

split decision 11-11-2010 07:46 AM

To bad that you can't get BMW to do a software upgrade since I'm sure that is the only difference Then again. maybe you can.

teagueAMX 11-11-2010 08:01 AM

I'm sure you're right, and there was some discussion about it after the 35is came out. No doubt some have found a dealer or two willing to do a 35is flash on a 35i. :)

grizzly111 11-12-2010 02:29 AM

One major difference: the 35is has a sportier exhaust system that sounds better! (Note Z4 35i dual exhaust systems are very expensive being up to $2500 to improve the sound).

It also comes with DCT as standard and the sports suspension.

Also if you want to be particular it has grey instrument dials with 35is written on them.

It is said that the BMW has slightly underrated the 35is power. I have seen a dyno somewhere. I was suprised that it 'only' produces 340 odd HP given that it runs around 14psi on overboost.

Silver-Bolt 11-12-2010 06:51 AM

Also get the option of 326M wheels and it rides 10mm lower.

BlueZ4AZ 11-12-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly111 (Post 5619287)
One major difference: the 35is has a sportier exhaust system that sounds better! (Note Z4 35i dual exhaust systems are very expensive being up to $2500 to improve the sound).

Also if you want to be particular it has grey instrument dials with 35is written on them.

It is said that the BMW has slightly underrated the 35is power. I have seen a dyno somewhere. I was suprised that it 'only' produces 340 odd HP given that it runs around 14psi on overboost.

Both 35i and 35is have about 30 more HP and Torque than BMW claims, and it has been proven.

split decision 11-12-2010 09:34 AM

Next time I get to the dealer, I will ask if they will reflash to the 35is specs. I won't hurt to ask.

HerrK 11-12-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzly111 (Post 5619287)

1. $2 to plug the flapper valve "open" considerable less than $2500.
2. DCT if you want an automatic clutch so your wife can drive it - can't get a MT in the "is".
3. Now I have to agree the Grey Instrument dials & the "M" (Motorsport Marketing) badging (except for on the outside of the car) make it all worth the added cost.
4. HP bragging rights = Male enhancement

All kidding aside get what makes you happy! Whatever model you choose, do ED & take your wife on a nice romantic 2-3 week european vacation. No driving experience in the US will ever compare to that encountered on an European Delivery.

grizzly111 11-12-2010 02:23 PM

Don't know anyone that has had a reflash by their dealer to is specs. (even with a 335is which produces LESS power). I doubt it would be allowed if it was at all possible.

A lot of owners dont want to modify their ride by increasing boost with a tune so the 35is represents a good option for them as it is significantly faster.

Also I forgot that in several countries supply is deliberately limited to preserve exclusivity if that matters to you (eg: in Australia on 25 per year are imported).

By the way, the exhaust system on the 35is is an entirely different part number. A simple 'golf-tee mod' won't make it sound the same at all - this mod can also be performed on the 35is to further enhance the idle/flap closed sound. The golf-tee mod only makes the exhaust sound louder at part throttle.

If you want the FASTEST non-GT Z4 and don't worry about warranty etc then just buy a standard DCT 35i and a tune (Procede V4 or upcoming JB4), meth, FMIC and some new tires & suspension upgrades.

BlueZ4AZ 11-12-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrK (Post 5620551)
2. DCT if you want an automatic clutch so your wife can drive it - can't get a MT in the "is".

Show of hands....How many ditched their previous MT car and got the DCT because of the smooth, lighting quick shifting and at the same time put absolutely no thought into whether it was suitable for their wife?

+1

warden 11-13-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ (Post 5621481)
Show of hands....How many ditched their previous MT car and got the DCT because of the smooth, lighting quick shifting and at the same time put absolutely no thought into whether it was suitable for their wife?

+1

+1 (and no wife, either)

zedguy 11-14-2010 12:44 PM

Dct

+2 and the free IS floor mats was the real deal sealer! :rofl: Been driving a stick since I leaned to drive and was shopping for another stick but the DCT is just awsome smooth. If you take a driving course like at BMW and drive the paddle shifters you realize that you get real busy fast driving and not dealing with a clutch is nice. I do find my left foot going for the missing clutch petal at time though. to each their own.

split decision 01-05-2011 03:10 PM

I asked my dealer today if they would reflash to the IS specs and he said no.I don't understand why but at least I asked.