Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Recall letter (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498114)

PhillB 11-11-2010 12:21 PM

Recall letter
 
Has anyone with a 09 or newer Z4 35i received a letter from BMW about the recall and the replacement of their HPFP?

split decision 11-11-2010 12:35 PM

Not yet

Rubber Ducky 11-12-2010 04:17 AM

And the dealers don't yet have a recall list either.

tsoc88 11-15-2010 07:53 PM

Recall
 
Had my 3coupe in last week and asked about the Z recall. Dealer told me
"it is in process".

rmorin49 11-16-2010 05:37 PM

Anyone tried to figure out how much money BMW has "lost" on this HPFP issue? Considering all the pumps they have already replaced, some more than once and now recalling thousands of vehicles this is going to turn out to be a very costly engineering debacle. I'm glad I sold all my BMWAG stock.

HerrK 11-17-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorin49 (Post 5630410)
Anyone tried to figure out how much money BMW has "lost" on this HPFP issue? Considering all the pumps they have already replaced, some more than once and now recalling thousands of vehicles this is going to turn out to be a very costly engineering debacle. I'm glad I sold all my BMWAG stock.

As the HPFP event hopefully nears closure, lets say they end up replaceing 200K pumps @ $300/unit (their cost & labor reimbursment - way conservative) = $60 million. Now BMW competed in F1 for 3 years easily spending $60 million for that same period. They're big boys they can handle their financial position. I hope you sold your BMW stock recently since it is currently near all time high.

PhillB 11-17-2010 10:08 AM

HPFP Recall
 
Although I have not had any problem with my '09 35i Z4, with 10K miles I have spoken to other who have. If something goes wrong shall I assume that the dealer with "fix-it" even if the recall notice has not been received?:dunno:

BlueZ4AZ 11-17-2010 10:37 AM

I dropped my car off at the dealer today to troubleshoot the issue I have with the long engine crank after the car has been sitting overnight. This issue started about 1k miles ago. Most likely this is the HPFP, so I decided not to wait around for BMW to get around to sending me their letter.

The dealer really rolled out the red carpet with the loaner vehicle - a 128i, auto, with no options.

rmorin49 11-17-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrK (Post 5631495)
As the HPFP event hopefully nears closure, lets say they end up replaceing 200K pumps @ $300/unit (their cost & labor reimbursment - way conservative) = $60 million. Now BMW competed in F1 for 3 years easily spending $60 million for that same period. They're big boys they can handle their financial position. I hope you sold your BMW stock recently since it is currently near all time high.

I did and made some money. Ford stock, even better, bought at $2.25, sold at $15.

Rolf-Dieter 11-18-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorin49 (Post 5633001)
I did and made some money. Ford stock, even better, bought at $2.25, sold at $15.

Last I saw on DW (Deutsche Welle TV Station) is that car sales in Germany are good, except the leaders are Audi and Mercedes looks like BMW is in 3rd place or so ... seams to me the HPFP issue has some impact. I also suspect the prices on future BMW's will go up to pay for there losses in profit.

I know if I was in charge (at BMW) I would summons the team leaders of the HPFP and the RFT Divisions into the board room (much like Donald Trump does it) and get to the bottom of it finding out who made the bad decisions to use cheep pumps and inferior tires (designed in Italy and made in Japan) on the once brilliant BMW automobile then fire them :rofl:

rmorin49 11-18-2010 05:16 PM

Audi has some seriously nice vehicles and I may well try one in a couple years. The RS4 is an awesome machine and if my ship ever comes in an R8 would be in my garage.

Rolf-Dieter 11-18-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorin49 (Post 5636031)
Audi has some seriously nice vehicles and I may well try one in a couple years. The RS4 is an awesome machine and if my ship ever comes in an R8 would be in my garage.

Yes sure is a fine looking machine

Click

AndyM 11-19-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillB (Post 5617854)
Has anyone with a 09 or newer Z4 35i received a letter from BMW about the recall and the replacement of their HPFP?

I am in the same boat with my 135. I don't think BMW has a definitive fix for it yet (I think there are reports of the newest pump failing). I doubt they will do a recall until they have one they know works.

Wraith. 11-19-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyM (Post 5637067)
I am in the same boat with my 135. I don't think BMW has a definitive fix for it yet (I think there are reports of the newest pump failing). I doubt they will do a recall until they have one they know works.

I have yet to see anyone reporting the 2011's failing but if and when that does happen we can assume that they have no fix.

HerrK 11-19-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraith. (Post 5637346)
I have yet to see anyone reporting the 2011's failing but if and when that does happen we can assume that they have no fix.

So far the 933 pumps (installed on 2011's) have been performing well as indicated by 0 complaints that I could find on various forums. At least BMW seems to have signifigantly reduced the MTBF rate. So as Donald Sutherland once said in Kelly's Heros "...no negative vibes man".

AndyM 11-19-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrK (Post 5637701)
So far the 933 pumps (installed on 2011's) have been performing well as indicated by 0 complaints that I could find on various forums. At least BMW seems to have signifigantly reduced the MTBF rate. So as Donald Sutherland once said in Kelly's Heros "...no negative vibes man".

Here is one 933 failure

See post #4

See post 13

See post 6 here regarding 941 pumps

I certainly agree that the newer pumps are better than what was originally out there, but I am not entirely convinced that BMW has a definitive fix. Only time will tell. I can't see BMW doing a recall until they have a 100% fix for it. No way would they want to recall the cars a second time. I think the recall will come later rather than sooner. The media attention will hopefully get them moving quicker.

Wraith. 11-19-2010 12:43 PM

Interesting that these are not new cars reporting failure but ones whose pump had already been replaced. Could it be a combination of factors compounded with the pump?

"So as Donald Sutherland once said in Kelly's Heros "...no negative vibes man"." Great movie btw

AndyM 11-19-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraith. (Post 5638057)
Interesting that these are not new cars reporting failure but ones whose pump had already been replaced. Could it be a combination of factors compounded with the pump?

"So as Donald Sutherland once said in Kelly's Heros "...no negative vibes man"." Great movie btw


It certainly is a weird situation. Some cars that needed a new pump with only a few thousand miles and then requiring 2-3 more vs. getting a new pump and no more issues vs. cars that have had no issues (I have 18k on my 2008 135 and no long cranks).

tsoc88 12-06-2010 02:17 PM

BMW Letter on HPFP
 
Received this, via email, from BMW today. I had written them asking what was the procedure on the recall:


Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary recall announcement of some model year 2007-2010 BMW vehicles equipped with twin-turbo inline six cylinder engines. In the affected vehicles, a failure of the high pressure fuel pump may exhibit symptoms such as long crank engine starting times along with the illumination of the “Service Engine Soon” light. In certain cases, the driver may experience reduced engine performance in a Safe Mode. An audible tone and an “Engine Malfunction” display warning will accompany any reduced engine performance.

Affected BMW models include:
• Model Year 2007-2010 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive (all body types)
• Model Year 2008-2010 135i (all body types)
• Model Year 2008-2010 535i, 535xi, 535i xDrive (sedan & wagon)
• Model Year 2008-2010 X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Coupes
• Model Year 2009-2010 Z4 Roadster sDrive35i

Owners of affected vehicles will receive notification in December requesting the scheduling of a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center to inspect their vehicle. Drivers who now experience long cranking at start and/or reduced engine performance with illuminated warnings should immediately schedule a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Rolf-Dieter 12-06-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraith. (Post 5638057)
Interesting that these are not new cars reporting failure but ones whose pump had already been replaced. Could it be a combination of factors compounded with the pump?

"So as Donald Sutherland once said in Kelly's Heros "...no negative vibes man"." Great movie btw

Yes great movie, I saw it again on Saturday.

PhillB 12-06-2010 03:27 PM

Recall
 
Thanks for the information.

rmorin49 12-06-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsoc88 (Post 5676341)
Received this, via email, from BMW today. I had written them asking what was the procedure on the recall:


Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding our voluntary recall announcement of some model year 2007-2010 BMW vehicles equipped with twin-turbo inline six cylinder engines. In the affected vehicles, a failure of the high pressure fuel pump may exhibit symptoms such as long crank engine starting times along with the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light. In certain cases, the driver may experience reduced engine performance in a Safe Mode. An audible tone and an "Engine Malfunction" display warning will accompany any reduced engine performance.

Affected BMW models include:
• Model Year 2007-2010 335i, 335xi, 335i xDrive (all body types)
• Model Year 2008-2010 135i (all body types)
• Model Year 2008-2010 535i, 535xi, 535i xDrive (sedan & wagon)
• Model Year 2008-2010 X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Coupes
• Model Year 2009-2010 Z4 Roadster sDrive35i

Owners of affected vehicles will receive notification in December requesting the scheduling of a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center to inspect their vehicle. Drivers who now experience long cranking at start and/or reduced engine performance with illuminated warnings should immediately schedule a service appointment with an authorized BMW Center.

BMW remains committed to maintaining the highest level of automotive excellence. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Sincerely,

Blah, blah, blah, I'll bet they still don't have a real fix.

BlueZ4AZ 12-08-2010 03:31 PM

I received a firm answer on when the recall letters are going out.
The plan is for the recall letters to go out in 2 waves. The first wave is on the second Tuesday of next week, then the remaining all go out on February 29, 2011.

tsoc88 12-09-2010 05:24 AM

Recall
 
And to further add to the confusion:

Called my dealer to have a slight problem fixed with my Z and asked about the recall. Service department said "Oh, people are already receiving their recall notifications and arranging appointments. If you didn't get a letter, your's is not recalled"

I thought this was odd and called BMA NA - they told me no letters had gone out, but
they will be out by mid December.

Dealer is Herb Chambers BMW, Sudbury, MA -

BlueZ4AZ 12-09-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsoc88 (Post 5683376)
And to further add to the confusion:

Called my dealer to have a slight problem fixed with my Z and asked about the recall. Service department said "Oh, people are already receiving their recall notifications and arranging appointments. If you didn't get a letter, your's is not recalled"

I thought this was odd and called BMA NA - they told me no letters had gone out, but
they will be out by mid December.

Dealer is Herb Chambers BMW, Sudbury, MA -

Sounds Like the folks at Herb Chambers need to get their heads out of their asses.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms