Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   2011 BWM 335d with many 4D35 fault codes (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498927)

johnson12345 11-14-2010 11:11 PM

2011 BWM 335d with many 4D35 fault codes
 
Recently bought a new 2011 335d and during the past 4 months of driving, I have the "Service Engine Soon" check engine light come on three times already with less than a total of 5000 miles on the engine. The first check engine light came up at only 2000 miles!

Each time the dealer says it is a #4D35 fault code from the Reducing-agent metering valve. The first time they cleaned it out to clear the code. The second time they replaced the valve, but the code still came back 6 weeks later. The third time (this weekend), the dealer cleaned the valve again. What is going on??? Seems like the 335D is a lemon with some major design issues with the diesel system. Anyone else have this problem? I'm starting to regret getting the 335d. :mad:

anE934fun 11-15-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson12345 (Post 5625707)
Recently bought a new 2011 335d and during the past 4 months of driving, I have the "Service Engine Soon" check engine light come on three times already with less than a total of 5000 miles on the engine. The first check engine light came up at only 2000 miles!

Each time the dealer says it is a #4D35 fault code from the Reducing-agent metering valve. The first time they cleaned it out to clear the code. The second time they replaced the valve, but the code still came back 6 weeks later. The third time (this weekend), the dealer cleaned the valve again. What is going on??? Seems like the 335D is a lemon with some major design issues with the diesel system. Anyone else have this problem? I'm starting to regret getting the 335d. :mad:

Something is going on with the DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) application system. All vehicular diesel power systems are going to be using DEF for NOx control, so there are not problems with the DEF design, just problems with your particular car. You have a couple of options: 1.) Keep taking the car to the dealer until they get things sorted out (you might want to consider changing dealers to see if a different dealer is better able to fix the problem); or 2.) Start positioning for a Lemon Law remedy. You apparently have 3 failed repair attempts. California's Lemon Law kicks in after the 4th failed repair attempt provided you have given the manufacturer written notice of the problem and allowed at least one repair attempt after giving the manufacturer written notice of the failed repair attempts.

It is your choice how to proceed. I know from personal experience that if you have the requisite number of failed repair attempts and have met the written notification requirement, the CA Lemon Law will produce results.

Flyingman 11-15-2010 03:09 AM

Johnson,

The 335d is in no way a "Lemon". You however may have an isolated problem that I am sure a competent dealer service department should be able to resolve to your satisfaction.

I agree with AN above. If you feel the service folks are just not "getting it", try another dealer in your area.

Very few of us have experienced any issues with our DEF system thus far. A few were never properly filled up from the delivery.

Good luck and hope you can get it resolved so you can enjoy the car.:thumbup:

tlak77 11-15-2010 04:51 AM

I had that code few times but only once it trigger SES (dealer checked the valve - and no parts were replaced at the time). As any code it needs to be there for number of cycles - if it clears itself indicating not present condition over allowed amount of cycles it will not trigger SES. 4D35
AnE934fun is absolutely right about un-experience of some dealers.

Snipe656 11-15-2010 08:57 AM

Definitely try another dealer, most of my piss poor experiences with this car are 100% related to dealers not knowing how to work on it.

Mr. Sparkle 11-25-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson12345 (Post 5625707)
Each time the dealer says it is a #4D35 fault code from the Reducing-agent metering valve. The first time they cleaned it out to clear the code. The second time they replaced the valve

Same thing happened to me. My car is in the shop right now waiting for the valve.
:mad:

KarlB 11-25-2010 04:33 PM

7800+ miles on my 2011 335d and not a problem one---- except--- how to wipe this **** eating grin off my face every time I put my right foot down!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

bimmerdiesel 11-28-2010 07:33 AM

4D35: metering valve is clogged/partial clog due to crystalized DEF. Dealer should check the valve to see if its work. They will flush it with warm water, if doesnt work then they would do warranty replacement of the SCR Metering Valve. Part # 18-30-7-807-206.

Copying this info from another 335d owner met him on dealer service bay who also had same issue and his work order said this info

Philm35 11-28-2010 11:11 AM

Where is the metering valve physically located? Is it something we can easily replace ourselves, post-warranty?

Mr. Sparkle 11-28-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel (Post 5656255)
4D35: metering valve is clogged/partial clog due to crystalized DEF. Dealer should check the valve to see if its work. They will flush it with warm water, if doesnt work then they would do warranty replacement of the SCR Metering Valve. Part # 18-30-7-807-206.

Copying this info from another 335d owner met him on dealer service bay who also had same issue and his work order said this info

What is the urea concentration?

Snipe656 11-30-2010 09:33 AM

I was just reading earlier today on a MB forum that with their DEF systems they are supposed to be topped off I think it is every 10k miles and then flushed every 20k miles. The stated reason for the flushing though was to break out or avoid any crystalization issues. Wonder how valid of a reason that is and if it is valid then why they stopped draining and refilling the DEF during oil changes for these cars and now only top off.

bimmerdiesel 11-30-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipe656 (Post 5661384)
I was just reading earlier today on a MB forum that with their DEF systems they are supposed to be topped off I think it is every 10k miles and then flushed every 20k miles. The stated reason for the flushing though was to break out or avoid any crystalization issues. Wonder how valid of a reason that is and if it is valid then why they stopped draining and refilling the DEF during oil changes for these cars and now only top off.

Its not only top off. BMW also follows similar rule. They drain and refill on alternate oil changes. So under free warranty you will be entitled to 2 drain-refill

Snipe656 11-30-2010 09:54 AM

See, the one oil change I got is back when they always drained and refilled. So now I wonder if next month they will do the same since that will be the second oil change for the car ;) The Mercedes forum made it sound like it is a flushing and not draining but I did not dig deep into it.

bimmerdiesel 11-30-2010 10:01 AM

Flush or just drain:dunno: Need to check up my invoice again what they did. I assume they should do flush else its no point.
I got drain-refill on 2nd oil change so you too should get same for your d.

tlak77 11-30-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel (Post 5661424)
Its not only top off. BMW also follows similar rule. They drain and refill on alternate oil changes. So under free warranty you will be entitled to 2 drain-refill

Link or any supporting document?
Updated SIB160109 does not require purge of DEF anymore and don't see any reason why BMW dealers would do otherwise unless some other condition requires it.

Snipe656 11-30-2010 10:53 AM

When mine was done it was a drain-fill and not a flushing of any sort. At least when the process was explained to me, that is what I was told.

bimmerdiesel 11-30-2010 10:56 AM

NOPE no written confirmation. I tried searching varios SIB but nothing concrete. What i said is partially my speculation and my SA's word. During my 2nd service (not aware of new service rules) I blindly thought they would do drain and refill. Then someone in another thread mentioned under new service rules he got top off on 1st service. My invoice said they did drain-refill. To confirm I called up my SA if they bypassed rules to make more money. He said they do drain-refill on 2nd service and my speculation is that they will do it on 4th service as well.

mxxx 11-30-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlB (Post 5651984)
7800+ miles on my 2011 335d and not a problem one---- except--- how to wipe this **** eating grin off my face every time I put my right foot down!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the same problem... When my wife takes the car to work it solves the problem. ;)

primetime 12-02-2010 04:22 AM

I have a new 335d and have started working with the check engine light problem. This thread is very helpful. Has everyone finally solved the DEF problem?

primetime 12-09-2010 07:30 PM

335d needed a new delivery module and metering valve cleaning for check engine light at 7000 miles

primetime 12-09-2010 07:34 PM

335d
 
great car to drive and great mileage

tlak77 01-02-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlak77 (Post 5625837)
I had that code few times but only once it trigger SES (dealer checked the valve - and no parts were replaced at the time). As any code it needs to be there for number of cycles - if it clears itself indicating not present condition over allowed amount of cycles it will not trigger SES. 4D35
AnE934fun is absolutely right about un-experience of some dealers.

Yesterday I had SES light come up, scanned the codes and it is again 4D35, wonder what is gonna be a remedy this time.

primetime 01-06-2011 06:14 PM

335d
 
if they change the delivery module, they will keep the car and drive it and then check it again. They put 100 miles on my car. Hmmm!

Snipe656 01-06-2011 06:19 PM

That is a lot of lunch trips for the mechanics :)

mecodoug 01-07-2011 06:39 AM

I wonder if the crystallization/valve issues are less likely to occur for folks like me that drive the car a lot of highway miles (I put almost 500 highway miles per week on my car, typically driving 3-4 days per week) or if it is more related to ambient temperatures or just dumb luck.

I figure as long as the passive tank is completely empty when I service the car, I should never have DEF going through that valve that is older than 6 months. Along the same lines I wonder if I will ever really need to flush my system as long as I wait for the DEF warning before adding. I do keep a half gallon at the house in case I get the warning and can't get to a dealer for a couple of weeks.

10K and no SES - actually zero problems with the d whatsoever so far. I did an initial oil and filter change myself at about 5K, and the first official first dealer service is showing as needing to happen at 13K.

I can't imagine enjoying any other sedan more than I enjoy the d!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms