Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   They think I blew out a turbo on my x5 lol (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499416)

samsonitep 11-16-2010 07:06 PM

They think I blew out a turbo on my x5 lol

Car sucked up a quart of oil...drove 100 miles and down to half oil in one day.. No leaks.

Getting 18,5 mpg but redlined it a few times maybe 3 or 4.. Guess it isn't the ultimate driving machine LOL

No noise but oil being sucked up faster than gas!!!:dunno:

Edit 3.7k miles

ard 11-16-2010 07:37 PM

No other symptoms, simply high oil consumption?

Seems one would have all kind of other issues if the turbo was "blown"...

A

PS I guess this is 'subscribed with comment'

samsonitep 11-16-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 5630789)
No other symptoms, simply high oil consumption?

Seems one would have all kind of other issues if the turbo was "blown"...

A

PS I guess this is 'subscribed with comment'

Maybe one is damaged and sucking up oil??? Maybemy sensor is off but no way it should take a quart of oil at 3.7k... Putting a quart in at every 3.7k is insane!!!!!

Maybe a turbo is plugged clogged... I called the dealer and they did not seem to thrilled about me bringing it in

chiplee 11-16-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsonitep (Post 5630855)
Maybe one is damaged and sucking up oil??? Maybemy sensor is off but no way it should take a quart of oil at 3.7k... Putting a quart in at every 3.7k is insane!!!!!

Maybe a turbo is plugged clogged... I called the dealer and they did not seem to thrilled about me bringing it in

Clogged turbo? That's not really consistent with how turbos work. A "clogged" turbo would make the engine just not run. The exhaust goes through the turbo, so if it's clogged, it's like stopping up your exhaust pipe. Engines can't run like that.

High oil consumption caused by a turbo would be the result of an oil seal blowing out and allowing lubricating oil to flow into the hot side of the turbo. It would smoke like crazy. Rapid oil consumption that is burned without smoking is very rare, but can be caused by rings.

Your situation is strange indeed. Whatever you do don't allow the dealer to claim you failed to follow the break in procedure. If you bought your BMW off the lot you can always claim you have no knowledge of the way the car was driven on test drives. If you ordered it, you'll just have to stick to your guns. Don't want to pay for that repair.

rattmann 11-16-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsonitep (Post 5630692)
Car sucked up a quart of oil...drove 100 miles and down to half oil in one day.. No leaks.

Getting 18,5 mpg but redlined it a few times maybe 3 or 4.. Guess it isn't the ultimate driving machine LOL

No noise but oil being sucked up faster than gas!!!:dunno:

Edit 3.7k miles

twin turbo have this issue as well
Now BMW is installing engine oil COOLER to minimize oil burn out.

samsonitep 11-17-2010 05:33 AM

my dad told it might be the turbo....He has the diesel and his oil reading is fine.

Now I filled it up yesterday and shouldn't my read on the computer be at "MAX" I am a little over half. :dunno:

No smoke/noise/poor performance I notice. I was thinking it could have been a computer glitch, but there is no way to manually check oil and I am not sticking anything down that hole lol.

how long should I go till I have to add another quart??

ard 11-17-2010 06:48 AM

What an utterly confusing series of posts by the OP.

"They" think I blew a turbo. Was the initial post....

Then 'the dealer isn't thrilled about bringing it it'... say what? Didn't the 'blown turbo' call come from the dealer???

Then we link together another post in which you complain about adding oil in "3.7k miles"

And then finally at post #6 we discover daddy made the diagnosis.

NO WONDER the dealer isn't thrilled.....

MRV99 11-17-2010 07:10 AM

If the car is really burning that much oil and is not a faulty sensor, who knows what the issue is. For all we know he could be 3qts+ in the engine and is flooded with oil

samsonitep 11-17-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 5631544)
What an utterly confusing series of posts by the OP.

"They" think I blew a turbo. Was the initial post....

Then 'the dealer isn't thrilled about bringing it it'... say what? Didn't the 'blown turbo' call come from the dealer???

Then we link together another post in which you complain about adding oil in "3.7k miles"

And then finally at post #6 we discover daddy made the diagnosis.

NO WONDER the dealer isn't thrilled.....

Yes that is confusing..."they" is a friend and truck repairman who came to our company. I am assuming he has a bmw because he told me the dealer should take care of it. My dad has an x5 2011 diesel and his is fine. My dad owns a trucking company. All three parties said, my electronics are fried.....or the turbo has a problem.

Dealer said "add oil" its normal, no sense bringing it in.......

Dealer also left glue all over my car, did not add washer fluid..:overinflated tires and chipped off paint...not the best service.

^^^^^ to the post ahead, we are worried it has all the oil in it now...HOWEVER shouldn't those computer sensors be flashing warning signs? All systems are a go...... :dunno:

This is a Platinum Gray too, and my fuel gage does not go all the way to the right...I got it a week before they stopped production on them....do not want to jump to conclusions

EDIT: seemed a little dirty inside the engine area.

UncleJ 11-17-2010 07:29 AM

Sam, if the dealer isn't "thrilled" then take it to another dealer. You are after all under the OEM full warranty. Burning a quart of oil every 3,700 miles is not unheard of. In fact I think it is well within the standards BMW sets for oil consumption.:confused:

diesaroo 11-17-2010 08:51 AM

+1

For future reference, just remember 3 letters: K-I-T. Keep It Together. It helps us alot if the OP gives us all the pertinent info from the beginning rather than a free association amalgam of their particular BMW experience...:D

1 quart of oil per 3.7k miles is a little high, but depending on how many miles are on the vehicle it, it may be acceptable.

samsonitep 11-17-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 5631644)
Sam, if the dealer isn't "thrilled" then take it to another dealer. You are after all under the OEM full warranty. Burning a quart of oil every 3,700 miles is not unheard of. In fact I think it is well within the standards BMW sets for oil consumption.:confused:

Thats high consumption....just wanted to know if anyone here had to do that with theirs..
Quote:

Originally Posted by diesaroo (Post 5631836)
+1

For future reference, just remember 3 letters: K-I-T. Keep It Together. It helps us alot if the OP gives us all the pertinent info from the beginning rather than a free association amalgam of their particular BMW experience...:D

1 quart of oil per 3.7k miles is a little high, but depending on how many miles are on the vehicle it, it may be acceptable.

thanks for input..

ard 11-17-2010 02:58 PM

PLATINUM GREY?!?!? You should have said that first. They had that p[production issue and apparently put the left over motors in those cars. Ask your dealer about that,

BMWs action limit on oil used to be 1 liter per 1000km or one quart per 600 miles

A

PS Kidding about the platinum grey thing....

diesaroo 11-17-2010 08:59 PM

Which by doing so sets the bar pretty low for "motor tightness" if you will...I guess the engines rev easier when the piston rings aren't always in contact with the cylinder walls.

FWIW, My dad's '64 289 hipo mustang burnt a quart every 300 miles which was within FoMoCo specs at the time.

ANZAC_1915 11-18-2010 07:19 AM

I would judge too much on the "actual" level by the dipstick display. My experience with BMW oil displays is it either needs you to add oil, or not add oil.

Funf Dreisig 11-18-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesaroo (Post 5631836)
For future reference, just remember 3 letters: K-I-T. Keep It Together. It helps us a lot if the OP gives us all the pertinent info from the beginning rather than a free association amalgam of their particular BMW experience...:D...

I'm thinking this should be added to the Bimmerfest banner/page-header :thumbup:

Funf Dresig