Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Best time to buy an X5?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499470)

VirginiaCollect 11-17-2010 04:43 AM

Best time to buy an X5??

With the "Holiday Cash" promotion going on, now would seem to be the absolute BEST time to buy an X5. BUt then is it? With the X5 currently available at $500 to $1000 over invoice AND the added bonus of the promotional cash ($2500), will the spring 2012 dealer price be able to compete? Will a dealer be selling it at $1500 UNDER invoice??

Just curious...anyone tracked the pricing in previous years?? :dunno:

samsonitep 11-17-2010 05:35 AM

Seems like a good incentive to buy.....

Did not run any numbers, but from now till the new x5 coming out you should find all sorts of deals.

hsindogg 11-17-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirginiaCollect (Post 5631370)
Will a dealer be selling it at $1500 UNDER invoice??

The dealer's profit is not affected by the $2,500 credit. So simply negotiate the $XXX.00 over invoice, because that's what they will be interested in. They make their profit on the backend too...extended warranties, wheel and tire insurance, paint protection, etc.

Since I started following the MY2011 X5, this is the first time I've BMWNA give a credit that applies to all the X5's. Previously it was only the $4,500 Eco-Credit for the 35d and maybe some low 1.99% APR financing. Someone may have better knowledge, but I started looking for a SUV in February.

I'm not sure if BMWNA is on a calendar year for their financials, but if so...I'm sure they're trying to cram in as much sales as possible by 12/31.

I think now is a pretty good time to buy. $2,500 Holiday Credit, low financing available (BMWNA or even BoA), $3,500 35d Eco-Credit...unless you want to wait for MY2012 X5's.

RedStripe88 11-17-2010 08:04 AM

Fall isn't a bad time to buy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirginiaCollect (Post 5631370)
With the "Holiday Cash" promotion going on, now would seem to be the absolute BEST time to buy an X5. BUt then is it? With the X5 currently available at $500 to $1000 over invoice AND the added bonus of the promotional cash ($2500), will the spring 2012 dealer price be able to compete? Will a dealer be selling it at $1500 UNDER invoice??

Just curious...anyone tracked the pricing in previous years?? :dunno:

VC,

I wrestled with the same question before ordering my X6. I'm was in no rush to buy a new car. I have an C320 with 64K miles that I'll probably keep. So, I would have waited if I would likely get better pricing in a few months.

My pros of waiting:
- X6 LCI is due in '12, so there may be discounts on MY11's in late spring, and the LCI may have LED angel eyes
- I'm not bullish on the economy, if the global economy continues to grow slowly (or stagnate), there will be downward pressure on luxury vehicle prices

My cons of waiting a few months:
- Holiday discount - no evidence of BMW offering similar sized discounts to consumers during other times of the year
- Dealers were very willing to negotiate from invoice (maybe trying to pull sales into 2010?)
- Historically, there are quite a few good days to buy a car in the fall - days when most people are too busy to buy a car (eg, Halloween, Christmas Eve, Black Friday) but dealers are open for business
- X6 inventory has been pretty low (10 days on hand), so I would not expect much MY11 inventory to be on lots for dealers to discount (not sure if this is true for X5's)

I've bought 2 cars on Christmas Eve. In both cases, the sales guy wanted to get home to be with family, but didn't want to lose the deal. I was in no rush to leave, but wanted the cars at my price. Made for a great negotiation.

I decided to order now. I got a price I was happy with.

That site I mentioned in the other thread, truecar.com does a nice job calculating statistics around the best and worst days, historically, to buy a car. They define best days as the days with the highest average discount. In any case, for 2009 their December report suggested that 6 of top-10 best days to buy were in December. Link to the Dec. '09 report

In case you were going to ask, no, I don't work for or with that site. The engineer in me loves data and stats and the provide data that gets beyond the usual conjecture.

-P

saranr 11-17-2010 08:26 AM

x5 just received a refersh for 2011, the complete redesign is expected for model year 2014. I would buy the vehicle right now while the incentive are in place.

hsindogg 11-17-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saranr (Post 5631780)
x5 just received a refersh for 2011, the complete redesign is expected for model year 2014. I would buy the vehicle right now while the incentive are in place.

For some people, waiting out for LED Angel Eye's might be worth the wait on great incentives and promotions during this time of year. Then again, LED AE's might never come to the US on the X5.

rtcage 11-17-2010 10:53 AM

BMW is posting some strong sales growth. I doubt the deals are going to get much better than this when you consider the dealers' willingness to discount and the holiday incentives.

I could be totally wrong, but in the long run (next version like the X3) I expect BMW is going to have to lower the price of the X5 or keep it flat for a while. Either that or lower the insanely priced options. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car and I just ordered one, but when you compare it's price to the competition it's hard for a lot of people to justify the difference.

Here's an interesting article on point: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...ps-volume.html

AnthonyL88 11-17-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saranr (Post 5631780)

I leased the 2011 X5 Sport Activity for 36 months, when my lease is up then I can get the new redesigned X5.

soldmystang 11-17-2010 05:28 PM

never at dusk :rofl:

quackbury 11-17-2010 05:40 PM

For the diesel, it was October. The Holiday Cash doesn't make up for the increase in base price, the decrease in the Eco Credit, or the drop in the residual. Sorry.