Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   SMG= Automatic?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499586)

asadkhanvp 11-17-2010 02:43 PM

SMG= Automatic??
 
gentlemen,

how are you all?

i have zero experience with manual transmission, thus i have always shyed away from m6. today i learned that SMG is essentially an automatic transmission with the ability to be used as manual. is there any truth to this, and would one be okay with SMG if no prior history with manual?

thanks in advance

ASH121 11-18-2010 11:09 AM

hi there you can use the gear stick by pushing forward or back to change gear just like the rally cars or you have two flaps on the stearing wheel with + or - on them for gears up or down or on the stick just put it in D and set how you like the gear box to change to be true its loads of fun you can drive how you like on the mood you feel hope this helps

asadkhanvp 11-19-2010 04:38 PM

what is up with lack of response?

it did not seem like too difficult of a question?

thanks

kgati 11-19-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asadkhanvp (Post 5638710)
what is up with lack of response?

it did not seem like too difficult of a question?

thanks

You need to have some patience. Not everyone sits by their computer waiting to answer questions from someone that can't do a little research on their own.
If you had researched the SMG the first thing you would understand is it is NOT an automatic. SMG is a manual that doesn't require the driver to operate a clutch pedal. Experience driving a manual with a clutch pedal is not required. SMG has been around awhile do a Google search.
Please next time respect the board and with time you'll get a some responses.

dubis 11-20-2010 12:28 PM

kgati is right - a SMG is not an automatic. It is a manual transmission with a computer contolled, hydraulically actuated clutch system. While you don't need to know how to drive a manual to drive a SMG, I found that it helps. For example, let off the gas a little when you shift to let the shift complete and the clutch engage. Don't shift when the RPM are too low. I much prefer to drive in manual mode than in automatic mode. Also, driving in Sport mode or other enhanced modes will be very different. Go out and practice. Keep in mind that the car "learns" your shifting style, and will adapt. So, it helps to drive consistently. It took me about two weeks to learn how to drive it smoothly. Now, I love it.

dalekressin 11-20-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubis (Post 5640388)
kgati is right - a SMG is not an automatic. It is a manual transmission with a computer contolled, hydraulically actuated clutch system. While you don't need to know how to drive a manual to drive a SMG, I found that it helps. For example, let off the gas a little when you shift to let the shift complete and the clutch engage. Don't shift when the RPM are too low. I much prefer to drive in manual mode than in automatic mode. Also, driving in Sport mode or other enhanced modes will be very different. Go out and practice. Keep in mind that the car "learns" your shifting style, and will adapt. So, it helps to drive consistently. It took me about two weeks to learn how to drive it smoothly. Now, I love it.

Agree +1
Gotta try it to get used to the technology.

asadkhanvp 11-20-2010 02:00 PM

gentleman,


thank you for taking the time to respond. very much appreciated.

kgati,

i apologize if i offended you in anyway or if i came off as being impatient. i did not intend to do either. my apologies sir.

thanks all

Washburn 11-20-2010 05:01 PM

I'd like to add that SMGs have a horrible reputation with a lot of failures, and BMW actually stopped offering it at some point.

I don't think anyone meant to offend anyone. I have also been eager for responses at times, but it's one of the things that one gets used to; wait a bit and you get great help here. Some forums are really fast and some are not.

..and welcome :)

Leslierc 01-13-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washburn (Post 5640909)
I'd like to add that SMGs have a horrible reputation with a lot of failures, and BMW actually stopped offering it at some point.

I was not aware of the action you describe by BMW and I have not had any problems whatsoever with the M6's SMG. I can actually say that I like the SMG. It takes some getting accustomed to, and I agree with those here who've opined that familiarity with a manual or standard transmission helps with handling the SMG...particularly when it comes to things like sound and feel.

mr_video 03-02-2011 10:06 AM

I am just starting to drive the SMG. I have to admit that in D mode, the car performs slugish when shifting, almost like it lags between gears. I find I can shift smoother using the stick. I have only driven approximately a hundred miles so far. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

kgati 03-02-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_video (Post 5887001)
I am just starting to drive the SMG. I have to admit that in D mode, the car performs slugish when shifting, almost like it lags between gears. I find I can shift smoother using the stick. I have only driven approximately a hundred miles so far. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Don't use D mode.:thumbdwn: The only reason to use D mode is if your right hand is holding a burger.:rofl: My experience with D mode is the car changes gear at to low of a RPM which gives you that slugish feeling. Have fun with the SMG. It takes some time to get use to but when correctly should be smooth sailing.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms