Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Bmwitus (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500193)

Bostoned 11-20-2010 08:19 AM

Bmwitus
 
I really believe that I have come down with a disease, I refer to it as BMWITUS. Perhaps I can get some guidance.

Here are the symtoms...

Just picked up my first BMW 2007 Grey Metallic 530 XI, Prem Package Nav etc... showroom condition BMW. (2 days ago)

For the first time in 10 years I've cleaned out my side of the garage leaving my Wife confused to why it took 10 years. My children are not allowed to touch the car. I do not want to drive it as I am concerned that something might happen to it.

I find that I am unable to stop thinking about this car, I pull it out of the garage just to look at it. I will go to my garage at 2AM and gaze at this perfectly constructed machine, sometimes a tear will shed.

I am really concerned about my wellbeing, I am hoping that this euphoric state is only temporary as my obsession is making it difficult to deal with the day to day... please let me know. Is this going to stop?

Campfamily 11-20-2010 08:51 AM

I've had my 08 550 for two weeks now. The symptoms are only getting worse. It's raining here today, and I'm still planning to go out in the garage and wash the car. My wife is thinking that I don't care about her any more, so are the kids. It feels like I'm 16 again and I just got my first car.

steveo90290 11-20-2010 08:52 AM

Sadly BMWitis is viral. It will run its course, then lie dormant for a period of time, flaring up from time to time. Soon you will find yourself in search of the ultimate parking space, away from others, hopefully between two concrete pillars as to avoid door dings. Giving it a once over with quick detail spray while it warms up. It is highly contageous, if your wife or children drive the car, they will break out in hives if they sit in anything other than a BMW.

gcvt 11-20-2010 11:09 AM

Sadly, I am a victim of this disease as well. It all started a short 13 days ago and I fear it may never end.

My symptoms are apparently washing my car every three days on average, offering to pick up my girlfriend wherever she is no matter how bad the traffic, waking up five minutes early to do a quick detail, and having cocktails in the garage instead of on my couch.

Nube1kenobi 11-20-2010 12:00 PM

When you guys find yourselves talking to the car, it is time to see your local minister to be exorcised. :)

cafzal 11-20-2010 02:59 PM

Sniff. cough, I have the fever too. After reading everything I can about my 535xi on this forum and carefully relating it to my family (especially the "what did you discover after having bought the 5" thread) my son is accusing me of turning into "a motor head" ....... oh the humiliation :)

Slaymaster 11-20-2010 04:04 PM

I too had the same issues when I picked up my 08 535. I few visits to the garage per evening and when using it for work, I would park in a spot where she would be well protected. 6 months past and I was some what cured. Then I purchased a new F10 and I'm back at square 1! :D

silverbimmer3 11-20-2010 05:12 PM

I like to look at my car too, even my previous e46; but I do need to drive it everyday.

brev 11-20-2010 05:40 PM

LMFAO - had my 530xi for 2 weeks and wonder WTF is wrong with me.

Firs time today in 10 maybe 15 years I hand washed my own car. Drove the family to dinner in my 10 year old Audi because i didn't want them to get the BMW dirty

Wife has said 10 times in the last 2 weeks, "it is only a car"

Bostoned 11-20-2010 06:10 PM

Guys, I appreciate the feedback, it certainly makes me feel better that I have company and I am not going through this alone.

Darkant72 11-20-2010 06:21 PM

I'm not well either. I clean my car a lot. I use a car duster before and after a trip. My girlfriend hates walking the mile I park away from the mall when we go shopping. Nobody eats in the car. Nobody! Am I also infected?

fred7821 11-20-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostoned (Post 5639724)
I really believe that I have come down with a disease, I refer to it as BMWITUS. Perhaps I can get some guidance.

Here are the symtoms...

Just picked up my first BMW 2007 Grey Metallic 530 XI, Prem Package Nav etc... showroom condition BMW. (2 days ago)

For the first time in 10 years I've cleaned out my side of the garage leaving my Wife confused to why it took 10 years. My children are not allowed to touch the car. I do not want to drive it as I am concerned that something might happen to it.

I find that I am unable to stop thinking about this car, I pull it out of the garage just to look at it. I will go to my garage at 2AM and gaze at this perfectly constructed machine, sometimes a tear will shed.

I am really concerned about my wellbeing, I am hoping that this euphoric state is only temporary as my obsession is making it difficult to deal with the day to day... please let me know. Is this going to stop?



Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

Munich77 11-20-2010 06:56 PM

Welcome to our group - I feel the same way... being on this forum just furthers it. We are Bimmer-holics Non-Anonymous :).

RaulE60M5 11-20-2010 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lmao!!!! I was laughing hard readding u guys adds!! Its only funny if u can relate to the disease. I just bought my M5 06' this summer and ofcourse im the same way...lol i even bought a stupid maxima to go to work and run errands so i dont have to drive it everyday but i dawm sure go wipe it every 7 hrs

Darkant72 11-22-2010 01:17 AM

I just realized something. No matter how fast I drive down the expressway I will always spot that one bimmer amongst all the other cars on the oncoming side of traffic. No matter how many cars there might be driving next to it or how fast he is going.

StaticPrime 11-22-2010 05:29 AM

Yup. Me too. What can we all say here? Once you sit behind a BMW, nothing else will do. It's like sleeping with that really hot bikini model you met at a party. All the other girls just seem sub-par from that point on. I feel bad for my Toyota dealer. After I test drove my BMW, I continued my car shopping. Both the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry just felt too "cheap". Didn't like the feel of the car and seemed to be under powered compared to the BMW. When we got back, the Honda dealer said, "so, what do you think? Ready to make a deal?" My response was "eh.... This car just didn't wow me. Not as much fun as a BMW". The poor guys face. He knew he couldn't say anything at that point.

Now I go out to my garage every night and sit in my BMW. Sometimes even the back seats, and say "I love you" to my car. She gets hand washed (which I have not done in 6 years) every week, leather cleaned and conditioned every week, and waxed every month. All my neighbors love my car and have congratulated me on the perfect driving machine I now own.

Ahh... The envy of the neighborhood! :D

ikedoc 11-22-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brev (Post 5640882)
LMFAO - had my 530xi for 2 weeks and wonder WTF is wrong with me.

Firs time today in 10 maybe 15 years I hand washed my own car. Drove the family to dinner in my 10 year old Audi because i didn't want them to get the BMW dirty

Wife has said 10 times in the last 2 weeks, "it is only a car"

My wife said the same thing this weekend- its is only a car!

We were going out to a very "fancy" dinner and I said to her we should take HER SUV as I don't like the valets parking the car, or worse yet going "Ferris Beuller" with it. She laughed and said "its only a car and it is meant to be DRIVEN, don't be such a puss!"
So we took the BMW and even though I had to explain the sport tranny to the valet, it was worth arriving all dressed up in style.
It was a nice excuse to detail it inside and out:thumbup:

jesimmons 11-22-2010 08:12 AM

Call me sick (or "touched" too). I was (and still am) the same way when I bought my 535i (first BMW) 2.5 years ago. Finally, I broke down 2 weeks ago and built a 8x12 outdoor storage shed so I could finally give my 535i the space she truly deserves in the garage. My next project (this spring) is a complete garage makeover so she can be properly "kept". :D

Oh... and this is a killer.... My significant other won't drive it (she never has driven it). I keep telling her to take the BMW when I want to use our Volvo XC/70 (her daily driver) and she always says no. She's a lead foot and says if she ever experiences the turbo N54, she's afraid shell get a ticket (and catch the disease). Like drugs, she says it's best to stay away from addictive things. :)

kelhasna 11-22-2010 10:09 AM

let your wife drive it.....

StaticPrime 11-22-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelhasna (Post 5644358)
let your wife drive it.....

gasp!!!! Never!!!

Bostoned 06-22-2012 04:10 AM

I started this thread 1.5 years ago, although I still have symptoms I think I found a temporary cure... Just experience a failed Car Communication Computer (CCC) unit and all of a sudden the obsession begins to dissipate.

phlfly 06-22-2012 07:08 AM

I parked my car away from other cars and close to BMW, but I found people like to park right near BMW for some f... reason, even it sits away from other car. I so pissed and I can't even describe. Even at my work, we have a big parking lot, and I parked near the curb ( for extra couple feet), but my fellow co-workers like to park on my spot, then I moved car again away from everyone, after couple week someone parked his car right beside mine or on mu spot. What a f...?

terrystu 06-22-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlfly (Post 6910163)
I parked my car away from other cars and close to BMW, but I found people like to park right near BMW for some f... reason, even it sits away from other car. I so pissed and I can't even describe. Even at my work, we have a big parking lot, and I parked near the curb ( for extra couple feet), but my fellow co-workers like to park on my spot, then I moved car again away from everyone, after couple week someone parked his car right beside mine or on mu spot. What a f...?

Perhaps they think some of that BMW mystique will rub off on their mundane vehicle.

themust 06-22-2012 12:43 PM

I can relate to ALL of the above!!! When we return from our Summer vacation every year in my wife's Sienna minivan, the first thing I do is rush to my '08 535i (MT) and caress and kiss it. My kids have gotten used to it. My kids also know to only close the door with the door handle so as not to leave fingerprints on the paint or windows. they know not to get into the car with soccer cleats and know not to scuff the seat backs with their shoes. They instruct their friends on proper etiquette when they get in the car, too. And yes, I use a soft dusting cloth everyday and have been known to perform the mid-week cleaning as well. It may not be so much a disease as it is an addiction.

ArtchredTTU 06-23-2012 07:19 AM

Thread of the Decade IMO


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms