Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Pros & Cons of a 2002 M3 - To buy or not to buy! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501759)

taddnkim 11-27-2010 07:56 PM

Pros & Cons of a 2002 M3 - To buy or not to buy!

It's finally time to pass on my '97 528i to my 16 year old (I've had her for 8 years!!) and I've fallen in love with a 2002 M3! It's a convertible with 59k miles and is in absolutely perfect condition. We got the dealer down to $17,200 which is an awesome price, but I'm struggling with practicality vs. fun :) We've also looked at other 3 and 5 series (my husband also drives a 5 series) but after driving the M3, it's hard to even compare!

I'd love to hear the pros & cons of the M3 that anyone has experienced. We typically keep our cars instead of trading them in so, I know I'll have my next one for some time and want to make the most informed decision I can. I know the sedans are probably more practical since I still have two kiddos to drive around, but maybe it's time for Mom to drive something a little more fun!

So basically, if you had to do it all over again, would you buy another M3?

Thanks!

newbe46 11-28-2010 04:09 AM

We currently also own an 02 M3 and I say yes to the purchase. This site has all the info you will ever need to make the informed decision though. Maintenance and repair costs are typically doubled unless you're inclined to do the work yourself but the sheer joy you'll get behind the wheel is worth every penny.

Bimmerguy86 11-28-2010 04:26 AM

I have an 02 convertible, It's fun to drive, one of the cons is it goes through tires pretty fast and for well performing ones it's not cheap.. It hasn't had too many mechanical problems, I would say the least of my previous 8 bmws.. I have to say for the performance level it gets great gas mileage. I would recommend this car if you are looking for high performance and you can afford the occasional repairs and expensive tires, oil, and brake components.

greenhobby 12-26-2010 11:08 PM

I have an 02 M3 coupe. I would highly recommend it! It's all about making sure that you perform the necessary maintenance. Make sure the car has all the required recalls (SB) - bearings, oil pump, etc [all done for free]. Performance is awesome, gas mileage is good. I prefer the 6 MT. Also make sure that you use snow tires if you run it in the winter where there is snow...

-gh

TerraPhantm 12-27-2010 01:25 AM

Considering it's an 02, I think you can do a little better on the price. I think I've seen 2004 convertibles go for similar prices.

I'm picking up an 05 coupe very soon. Definitely one of the best cars I've driven. By 2005 most of the bugs have been ironed out too, so hopefully it's not too unreliable (though I am mentally prepared to spend quite a bit more than I have been on my E46).

racerman 05-20-2011 09:58 AM

I am a recent purchaser of an '02, M3, SMG Vert....got it with a hardtop and and an xtra set of wheels for $16,9. Sometimes I just jump in the car and take off for the lake. It is that much fun to drive! I had an S2000 before and while it was, and is, the best thing Honda ever built, there is simply no overall comparison. The Honda would corner like it was on a string...but the M3 does it with 2 people and a full set of golf clubs, luggage etc. AND you can carry 2 more poeple--- if you have too!
Now all I have to do is learn to drive it. It is currently faster than I am. Racerman.