Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Rear cargo cover rattle (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50202)

Xfizzle 01-13-2004 11:11 PM

Rear cargo cover rattle

1 Attachment(s)
Does any one have the same problem? or is it the spare tire making that noise. Just got the car 3 months ago and this rattle is driving me crazy and itís also a lil embarrassing for a 50K BMW. Anyone have any suggestions??

quattro29 01-14-2004 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xfizzle
Does any one have the same problem? or is it the spare tire making that noise. Just got the car 3 months ago and this rattle is driving me crazy and itís also a lil embarrassing for a 50K BMW. Anyone have any suggestions??

Probably not what you want to hear, but I've never been able to get mine to stop rattling. So, I removed it and solved the problem (well, sorta...).

xmanjack 01-14-2004 07:30 AM

Mine too.Isn't it aggravating?Rip it out ,or extend it and hook it to the rear hatch.Does the '04 also have this problem?I'm ready to trade and upgrade to the 4.8,but I wouldn't want a noisy rear cover,again.Not at that price.

Eric B 01-14-2004 10:42 AM

I thought it was the spare tire, so I tightened everything down and that did not take care of it. Then I thought it was the plastic handle that is used to hoist the tire out of the well, or perhaps another plastic part rattling around down there so I secured everything I could find to no avail.

The whole rear gate seems to rattle with every bump...it sounds like it hasn't been closed securely even though I know it has. This is on my list of issues for the dealer when I drop the X5 off tonight.

I hope it can be fixed, but from what I have been able to read on the forums it seems to be somewhat normal. Given BMWs attention to every sound their cars make, I am really suprised this by this one.

AndDown 01-14-2004 02:28 PM

Couple of things to try:

It might be the rear seat latches - Fold the seats down and if the rattle disappears, it's from the latch. This was an issue in the earlier models but haven't seen it recently. Easy fix is to wrap the latch bar with some electrical tape. Also, the leather rubbing can be annoying and I've read using leather conditioner helps

Other rattle might be coming from the top hatch. On either side of the hatch are rubber stoppers. Loosen the torx screw that holds the stopper and rotate the stopper 1/2 to 1 turn out, then re-tighten the screw.

Xfizzle 01-15-2004 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the ideas...i'll try them out but its probablly going to be a while...it's too freakin cold here in NY...so i'll keep you posted.

bwalsh 01-23-2004 10:39 AM

X5 Rattle

[I have had a rattle for over 1 year. I have taken it in twice to be repaired and each time was told it was fixed. Not so. I think it comes from the hatchback and not the spare tire. My own feeling is that the hatchback is hung incorrectly or is out of alignment.

JJKK 01-25-2004 02:25 PM

I had a rattle

in the rear of the car. I tracked it down to the trunk. It was actually the carpet on the left side. It had drooped away from the rear quarter panel and flopping against the side of the car when I would go over a series of small bumps.

Eric B 01-25-2004 02:48 PM

I just got my X5 back from the dealer and they adjusted the catch so that the hatch closes tightly. I have to close it with a bit more force now...but it doesn't rattle at all, which has made a huge difference. It has taken a bit of practice to get it to close every time (a few times it has closed, but when I get back into the car the light on the dash is on indicating that it is open.) I have a feeling that the rattle will be back over time though....not sure why but it just seems like it may work itself loose again.

BTW..this was covered under my CPO warranty.

batm4n 01-25-2004 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJKK
in the rear of the car. I tracked it down to the trunk. It was actually the carpet on the left side. It had drooped away from the rear quarter panel and flopping against the side of the car when I would go over a series of small bumps.

Do you mean it was the quarter panel access panel? The one with the clasp on it?

bwalsh 01-26-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quattro29
Probably not what you want to hear, but I've never been able to get mine to stop rattling. So, I removed it and solved the problem (well, sorta...).

Did you solve it?

JJKK 01-27-2004 04:47 PM

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by batm4n
Do you mean it was the quarter panel access panel? The one with the clasp on it?

Yeah. Its in a 2002 325. I think that the roadside assistance guy was poking around (on the wrong side) to jump the car (parking lights left on). He could not get a jump from under the hood as recommended, but got one immediately when we went right to the battery.