Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   any last words of advice? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503557)

gregoryw1 12-05-2010 04:03 PM

any last words of advice?
 
Placed my order for my first BMW in late Oct. have been reading Bimmerfest every day since then - I'm hooked. but wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about the config of what I'm getting before its too late. Here's what I ordered:

-X3 35i
-Titanium silver metallic
-Oyster Nevada leather
-Fineline wave wood trim
-Sport activity package
-Dynamic handling package
-Panoramic moonroof
-Heated front seats
-Heated steering wheel
-Sat radio

I know it's not "loaded" but trying to find the right balance.

Since I live in Atlanta I'm going to pick it up in Spartanburg since its just two hours away -- can't wait!

Thx

kjboyd 12-05-2010 05:13 PM

BMW stock headlamps are pretty crappy... i would add Xenon if you can.

AzNMpower32 12-05-2010 05:24 PM

I'd recommend adding PDC and possibly the cargo net. Personally I dunno if Oyster would work with the Wave wood trim; seems like brown is one extra colour in the interior (Oyster seats, black carpets, gray headliner, black window sill) but that's for your evaluation.

Otherwise your config looks great, have fun at the Performance Centre :)

kjboyd: Xenons are standard on the xDrive35i in the US and Canada.

kjboyd 12-05-2010 06:15 PM

Ah, i didnt see the 35, thanks Az!

MarcA78 12-05-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregoryw1 (Post 5674052)
Placed my order for my first BMW in late Oct. have been reading Bimmerfest every day since then - I'm hooked. but wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about the config of what I'm getting before its too late. Here's what I ordered:

-X3 35i
-Titanium silver metallic
-Oyster Nevada leather
-Fineline wave wood trim
-Sport activity package
-Dynamic handling package
-Panoramic moonroof
-Heated front seats
-Heated steering wheel
-Sat radio

I know it's not "loaded" but trying to find the right balance.

Since I live in Atlanta I'm going to pick it up in Spartanburg since its just two hours away -- can't wait!

Thx

Compared to my order, that's totally loaded! Titanium Silver is a good colour choice. Easy to keep clean!

Evlengr 12-05-2010 07:10 PM

Seems pretty nice. Care to share pricing?

Please share the SC experience with pics as well.

X3forlife 12-07-2010 09:33 AM

I never understand why people choose to go without nav...even if they know where they are going. That's what I would add...NAV...and its related features.

MarcA78 12-07-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3forlife (Post 5678362)
I never understand why people choose to go without nav...even if they know where they are going. That's what I would add...NAV...and its related features.

Diff'rent strokes...

I can't stand navigation systems. They're noisy, crass and intrusive.

AzNMpower32 12-07-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcA78 (Post 5678396)
Diff'rent strokes...

I can't stand navigation systems. They're noisy, crass and intrusive.

Ditto. I know my way around and have an innate sense of direction. I can read a map, and my mobile phone has an Atlas (I downloaded US, Germany, and Finland :p) should things go terribly wrong.

Nav is one of those options I'd always skip if I was ordering a car.

06BMWX3 12-07-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5678617)
Nav is one of those options I'd always skip if I was ordering a car.

Same here, useless option, and expensive. I get my Garmin Nuvi out when I need it, wich is what, 2-3 times a year, maybe??

MarcA78 12-07-2010 04:58 PM

I wouldn't call it useless. It looks cool. But I don't want to pay $3200 for a gadget that I wouldn't use.

X3forlife 12-07-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5678617)
Ditto. I know my way around and have an innate sense of direction. I can read a map, and my mobile phone has an Atlas (I downloaded US, Germany, and Finland :p) should things go terribly wrong.

Nav is one of those options I'd always skip if I was ordering a car.

I always find it funny when someone's answer to Nav is "I know my way around"...lol You know every location, every address everywhere?

I remember the old days when people would stop and ask for directions...that sucked...then came mapquest...amazing but forces you to take your eyes off the road too much and sucks at night.

Nav adds confidence. Just gimmie the address and I'll see you there.

Plus the Nav and I-drive add other features.

Anyway to each his own ...it's not for everyone...I just don't buy that "I know my way around" as a reason.

Evlengr 12-07-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3forlife (Post 5679829)
I always find it funny when someone's answer to Nav is "I know my way around"...lol You know every location, every address everywhere?

I remember the old days when people would stop and ask for directions...that sucked...then came mapquest...amazing but forces you to take your eyes off the road too much and sucks at night.

Nav adds confidence. Just gimmie the address and I'll see you there.

Plus the Nav and I-drive add other features.

Anyway to each his own ...it's not for everyone...I just don't buy that "I know my way around" as a reason.

Why not? Some people do handle and memorize things well. I can still recite every color code, wiring diagram and ip address from my old complex that handles 76 servers that drove eight radio stations from 8 years ago.

Doesnt seems like a stretch that someone could have the same ability with roadways. Kind of the same thing.

To each his own, but it seems that you don't like to exert any effort outside of your sphere of confidence and that's ok. But please don't presume the rest of us don't like to have control of a situation ourselves.

You are BMW's dream customer. You will buy all they have to offer and follow everything they say. Please let us know how that works out for you as you must have ordered a fully loaded new one already, and since you don't like to bargain paid list.

UncleJ 12-08-2010 07:36 AM

Without getting into any "contest" I will only say that I had my first experience with the "new" nav and "I" drive in a loaner 128 that I had. I was impressed with the ease of the new "I" drive and liked the nav display a lot. The old "I" drive was a horror to use for me (I add that as a qualifier:D) and I would never get a car with that. Now, with the new version and the new nav I would have to rethink this. Even though "I know my way around" having the nav on all the time gave me some ideas to get around traffic that I knew but didn't think of right then, so it was helpful to me. I definitely would consider the new nav in any BMW I bought, and that is a first for me.:angel: One final note, the 128 looked great but was a "tin can" IMHO. The interior was so cheap it made a Sonata look luxurious, and it had what appeared to be leather but didn't smell like it. It reminded me a lot of my old '69 2002 without the big steering wheel.

cubed 12-08-2010 08:23 AM

heres what I like about nav systems and miss when im driving a car withoutthem. I always keep the nav on"map" function. i can see where I am, can see the streets coming up and at night when signs are poorly illuminated, it is really useful. I never mikss a turn or have to slow suddenly. Yes you could get that withan aftermarket system, but the new screens on the factory models are so good and so big, plus they are integrated and dont become projectiles in the case of evasive maneuvers/accidents. I will not get a car without nav.

Evlengr 12-08-2010 01:58 PM

BTW I should point out that although I can memorize just about any technical mapping I get lost going to the bathroom and welcome a good NAV in my next vehicle.

However, my wife can find her way around anywhere without one. And even has managed to get us "unlost" in third world country's where neither of us had a mastery of the local dialects.

Some people "Do" have that knack.

Sorry for the hijack.

Can you tell us what you paid..as information is power--especially when negotiating money.

BlueZ 12-08-2010 02:58 PM

Keyless entry is the best.

gregoryw1 12-08-2010 09:04 PM

i wish i was getting a deal on it but i'm not - just msrp - sorry to not have set the bar any lower with a better price - maybe on my next bmw i'll do better!

i'll try to take a lot pics and document the day in Spartanburg - still don't have a delivery date but will post when I do

MarcA78 12-08-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregoryw1 (Post 5683012)
i wish i was getting a deal on it but i'm not - just msrp - sorry to not have set the bar any lower with a better price - maybe on my next bmw i'll do better!

i'll try to take a lot pics and document the day in Spartanburg - still don't have a delivery date but will post when I do

Did you negotiate much? I got $1500 below MSRP and a promise of all weather floor mats. And I wasn't even playing hardball!

PhilippZ 01-27-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcA78 (Post 5683179)
Did you negotiate much? I got $1500 below MSRP and a promise of all weather floor mats. And I wasn't even playing hardball!

It seems like floor mats are not included in the X3 or X5. So you have to buy the cloth or rubber ones extra. They are standard on the 5er. Bought a 28i for $700 above invoice 2 weeks ago.

MarcA78 01-27-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilippZ (Post 5806148)
It seems like floor mats are not included in the X3 or X5. So you have to buy the cloth or rubber ones extra. They are standard on the 5er. Bought a 28i for $700 above invoice 2 weeks ago.

I didn't know they were standard on any car. Dealers usually throw them in though.

55 01-28-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X3forlife (Post 5678362)
I never understand why people choose to go without nav...even if they know where they are going. That's what I would add...NAV...and its related features.

NAV is needed these days, but why pay big bucks to manufactures? Beautiful Garmin with lifetime traffic updates, lifetime maps update (you need it!)-I just got for my wife for $200.
How much would you pay to BMW for inferior system? I know some other toys are there, like radio control etc., but I wouldn't bother...
Also if you travel to Europe you can take Garmin with you, try it with build-in NAV:)

UncleJ 01-29-2011 10:57 AM

Greg, if you haven't finalized the purchase yet you might be able to get a better deal through one of the buying services (i.e. Costco, AAA, USAA, etc.) if you hate the dealer game, anyway you will certainly save enough to buy your mats.:rofl:

rich8566 01-30-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregoryw1 (Post 5674052)
Placed my order for my first BMW in late Oct. have been reading Bimmerfest every day since then - I'm hooked. but wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about the config of what I'm getting before its too late. Here's what I ordered:

-X3 35i
-Titanium silver metallic
-Oyster Nevada leather
-Fineline wave wood trim
-Sport activity package
-Dynamic handling package
-Panoramic moonroof
-Heated front seats
-Heated steering wheel
-Sat radio

I know it's not "loaded" but trying to find the right balance.

Since I live in Atlanta I'm going to pick it up in Spartanburg since its just two hours away -- can't wait!

Thx

Get the upgraded radio, Comfort Access and the backup camera.

imtennisgoddess 02-05-2011 10:04 AM

Nav system
 
I ordered the nav on my x3. The fact that I can read my emails with smart phone and that I have instant access to my owners manual on the nav screen. (I actually read my owners manual)

Mine is in production right now. I ordered the 35i, saphire black with chestnut interiror, sport package, premium package, tech package, comfort access, heated front seats, smart phone integration, premium sound and sat. radio. I paid $2000 under MSRP.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms