Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   No Heat-Blows Cold Air Thru Side and Center Vents (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503815)

oldschool85 12-06-2010 03:43 PM

No Heat-Blows Cold Air Thru Side and Center Vents

2001 BMW X5 4.4L. Blower fan works, heat works only in defrost and floor mode. No heat coming out of center or side vents.(blows cold air) Dial is set to red mark....

Any Ideas?

Wayne's World 12-07-2010 11:27 AM

Well I haven't experienced this problem but I know how the heating system works. Fan blowing (i'm assuming at low, medium & high speeds) and cold air coming out means your heater core is not getting the coolant through it. So likely the heater/blower relay is toast. That's my educated guess. Other possibilities is the heater core is cracked or leaking. But likely you would've either smelled coolant burning or experienced a leak in your cabin.

oldschool85 12-07-2010 06:39 PM

No Heat

I think if it was the heater core - I would have no heat from the floor or defrost mode... which is working...

Wayne's World 12-09-2010 11:50 AM

Final stage resistor? Have you come across this in your readings?

vdv1 12-31-2010 04:34 PM

Your thermostat could be stuck closed which would not allow hot coolant to circulate through the heater core.

malonzo 01-23-2013 11:53 AM

malonzo

i have 2003 X5 4.4, same problem heat from floor vent and defroster vent but no heat from center vents just cold air.

upallnight 01-23-2013 08:13 PM

Have you guys read the owner manual?

QSilver7 01-24-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool85 (Post 5679745)
I think if it was the heater core - I would have no heat from the floor or defrost mode... which is working...

We have to ask since you didn't tell us that it was ruled out as the culprit like the OP did in the 1st post in this thread "dial is set to red". :)

What position do you have the stratified air dial? This is the dial (#3) in the middle of the dash's center vent that allows the front passengers to "temper" the air from those vents warmer or cooler...independent of the set temp that is coming from the floor or defrost vents.

upallnight 01-25-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver7 (Post 7335490)
We have to ask since you didn't tell us that it was ruled out as the culprit like the OP did in the 1st post in this thread "dial is set to red". :)

What position do you have the stratified air dial? This is the dial (#3) in the middle of the dash's center vent that allows the front passengers to "temper" the air from those vents warmer or cooler...independent of the set temp that is coming from the floor or defrost vents.

:rofl: That's what happened to me when I first try using the heat in the X. Finally read the owner manual and found out about the thumbwheel in the center of the vent.