Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Has anyone ever installed the Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507525)

Jay330XI 12-22-2010 03:04 PM

Has anyone ever installed the Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70?
 
I did a search and did not find specific info on installing an Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70. Has anyone attempted it?

Thanks much.

MRV99 12-22-2010 11:27 PM

Do you have the USB port in the armrest? If so you pay to program the car and get the BMW cable. If not I know his has been done before. I would do a search

Jay330XI 01-04-2011 11:18 AM

I do not see a USB port within the center console in my '07 X5. It only has the Auxiliary line-in input. I would prefer the Idrive control of the Ipod for alot of reasons. Perhaps the USB was an option in later years? I'm pretty sure it became standard in either '10 or '11. I searched the threads, and most of the topics were related to using an already in place USB.

For those without the USB, has anyone added an I-pod interface to the E70? I had it done to my E60, and it works great.

Audi Refugee 01-12-2013 05:22 PM

I'm in the same boat Jay330XI. do you have the CD changer?

Ebay is showing some factory kits for around 400-500 bucks, which supposedly replace the CD changer...but I'd love to see pics of how it works through Idrive, and the install process.

kkratochvil 01-12-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay330XI (Post 5742516)
I do not see a USB port within the center console in my '07 X5. It only has the Auxiliary line-in input. I would prefer the Idrive control of the Ipod for alot of reasons. Perhaps the USB was an option in later years? I'm pretty sure it became standard in either '10 or '11. I searched the threads, and most of the topics were related to using an already in place USB.

For those without the USB, has anyone added an I-pod interface to the E70? I had it done to my E60, and it works great.

Yes. I had it installed in my 2010 E70 (35d). I bought it used and didn't understand how the various options worked until I started trying to figure-out how I was going to hook up and discovered the original owner decided to save the $70 at the time and didn't get the 6FL option. In which case, Y-cable is useless.

I ordered this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=796. I had it installed at my BMW dealer. So, I don't know much about the install. It does require some programming, so it's not a DIY unless you're able to do the programming or want to find one of the guys in the Fest to do it. (I'm sure one of them could, probably remotely!

I didn't have a CD Changer and this makes the iPod take the place of it. It falls way short of the Bluetooth integration and BMW Apps with the newer systems, but I'm pretty happy with it. :thumbup: It makes driving the iPod interface on my iPhone fairly handy. There's a few quirks to it, but not bad.

Biggest difference that might matter between my setup and what you're thinking is my E70 has the newer CIC iDrive, rather than the older CCC (I think that's it...). I don't know what sort of difference that might make.

The only other thing I'd mention off the top of my head is that the BMW install puts the cable in your glove box. I've thought about pulling the cable out and routing it up to the console and buying one of the nice custom mounts from KUDA, but I haven't done that as yet!

Audi Refugee 01-12-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkratochvil (Post 7309316)
I ordered this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=796. I had it installed at my BMW dealer. So, I don't know much about the install. It does require some programming, so it's not a DIY unless you're able to do the programming or want to find one of the guys in the Fest to do it. (I'm sure one of them could, probably remotely!

Thanks for the data, what did the dealer charge for the install?

kkratochvil 01-12-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi Refugee (Post 7309385)
Thanks for the data, what did the dealer charge for the install?

Cost for install was $225 + tax. I had it done back in Nov, 2011.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms