Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2002 BMW 325i Cold start Problem! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510586)

Walker1277 01-05-2011 09:44 PM

2002 BMW 325i Cold start Problem!

2 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a 2002 BMW 325i with 114,900 miles on it. One of the first things I did when I decided I wanted to buy the car was to take it to my mechanic to have it checked out. I have been driving Porsche for about 12 years now so I already knew of a shop with experience working on German cars. The car checked out with no error codes and everything looked good. So that day, I scheduled an oil change for the following week, and because of things going on in my life, it ended up being postponed two additional two weeks but no worries because the car wasnít over the scheduled miles for it to be changed. During those two weeks before the oil change, I noticed the service light come on and go off. After taking it back to the shop to have the error code read, it was discovered that the thermostat was having an issue and needed to be replaced. It was and the code bank was reset. I didnít have any further problems with the service light and went ahead and had the oil changed. several weeks passed problem free... until...
it was 18 degrees outside and I had to get up early and head to school, the wife wasnít doing anything that day so I decided to take the BMW.. got dressed went outside and was going to start the car to let it warm up but when I turned the key, it turned over but would not start. I was shocked and dismayed... the newest car that I have ever owned wouldnít start... So I called a rollback and had it delivered to the shop. A few hours later I received a phone call informing me that the fuel pump had to be bad and that they would replace the filter while they had it on the rack; I agreed and went on about my day. The next day I went to the shop and picked the car up. No problems starting, even though it was 24 or 25 degrees that day. I was feeling good about it again and decided to take it on a trip with my wife out of state. Drove there just fine parked and left the car parked for 2 days. When it was time to leave, I went out early that morning and again the car wouldnít start... Now Iím getting :mad: So I called the shop and told them that I was still having problems and I needed to get the car back in. After waiting almost 6 hours for the temperature to rise above 35 degrees, the car finally started and we made haste to get back home. The shop had the car again... and decided that this time they needed to replace the Fuel pump relay and the DME relay. I said ok, if it fixes the problem then do it. That was the day before yesterday and Iím still having a problem starting the car when the temperature is below 35 degrees F. Over the course of this experience with this car, I have tried to pay special attention to little things like if the fuel pump comes on or not at the first attempt to start and the answer to that has been a resounding No... Itís come to the point where I have the radio off, the climate control off, so I can hear if the fuel pump is coming on or not and if it does not come on, I donít even try to start it. I just turn the key off and on again until I hear the fuel pump come on. Sometimes the fifth or sixth time turning the key off and on again regardless of the temperature outside, I can get the car started. Sometimes itís stubborn and just will not start. So today I was back at the shop, I told them about the consistent starting problem and my anger at their inability to get it fixed or at least diagnosed correctly.

Having read some of the other forums Iím going to try to answer some questions before they are asked.

Q: What kind of oil did you use when you had the oil changed?
A: Castrol Synthetic 5w30

Q: Does the engine turn over?
A: Yes, the engine turns over as though it was connected to a brand new fully charged battery.

I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to put out as much information as I could. Thank you for taking the time to read it all and for any suggestions any of you might have. Please realize this is the first time I have ever posted anything on any forum ever.

gshin 01-06-2011 10:56 AM

Sorry to hear about the problems! I'm not one of the old timers or an expert so take this with a grain of salt... was this with the same key every time? Considering what you've replaced, it could be the security system keeping the ignition from firing.

Cheers,
-g

Walker1277 01-06-2011 01:25 PM

Originaly when I bought the car I was given one key. It was one of the keys with the built in buttons, door locks and truck access. There were no problems. Almost three weeks later a package came in the mail with the other three keys. 1 button key, 1 valet key and 1 plastic emergency key. the only thing that was wrong with those keys is the battery was dead on the button key. So, I read up on the keys in the owners manual and learned that if a key is dead it can be recharged by constant use. I gave my original key to my wife and started using the dead one. After 2 weeks of every day use, I discovered that it was working because I accedentally pressed one of the buttons and it worked. I dont know if this could be a cause of the problems that Im having because it has happened using my wifes key but it would make sense that something may be different since I started using the second key... Ill look into it and post something back as soon as I learn something. Thank you for giving me something to consider. I am secretly becoming afraid that there is something very expensive lurking in the distand future and I dont like it at all...

mrblorry 01-06-2011 01:56 PM

Read the Wiki, and search for cold start problems. It's all right here.

jess7 01-13-2012 12:39 PM

in regards to thread posted 1/05/11. crank but not start when cold

How can i contact the member who posted the thread on 1/5/11 on CRANK BUT DOES START ON COLD WEATHER. user WALKER1277 from KENTUCKY.
My bmw 325i 2002 seems to have the exact problem. There is no voltage when cranking at the fuel
pump ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE SITS OVERNIGHT IN COLD WEATHER. Once the sun hits the
car for a while (the ambient temperature rises) The engine starts fine.

There is no voltage at the fuel pump when engine cold. swapped the fuel pump relay, main relay and cranshaft sensor from another same vehicle and still engine does
not start.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jess

beamer4life 01-14-2012 06:14 PM

could be in a wiring harnest. metal expands on temp increase, contracts on temp decrease

Jay_330ci 01-16-2012 01:58 PM

EXACT same problem, please share your findings

Walker1277, I am having the EXACT same problem in every way. I was out of town and ended up having to get my car towed to the stealership when it would not start. They told me my fuel pump was faulty which I now think was misdiagnosed & replaced for about 900:cry:, next day back in Toronto the temperature dipped and it wouldn't start!!!!! WHen it warmed up the day after the car started after 6 cranks or so. Please let us know what ended up being the issue? (My wallet can not take any more of this).

sjacoby112 01-18-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess7 (Post 6560215)
How can i contact the member who posted the thread on 1/5/11 on CRANK BUT DOES START ON COLD WEATHER. user WALKER1277 from KENTUCKY.
My bmw 325i 2002 seems to have the exact problem. There is no voltage when cranking at the fuel
pump ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE SITS OVERNIGHT IN COLD WEATHER. Once the sun hits the
car for a while (the ambient temperature rises) The engine starts fine.

There is no voltage at the fuel pump when engine cold. swapped the fuel pump relay, main relay and cranshaft sensor from another same vehicle and still engine does
not start.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jess

im having the same issue, my car is at a very reputable bmw mechanic so im hoping he fixes it. have you had any luck?? i found that if i warm up the ecu with a heat gun the fuel pumps clicks right on and the car starts fine. so lets hope he figures out why that is soon.

jess7 01-20-2012 10:16 AM

cold start problems

Hi sjacoby112,

I honestly believe it was a smart thing for you to heat up the ecu after knowing it is a cold start related problem. I am going to try the same thing on my car tomorrow morning.

Please let us know as soon as you find out what the bmw shop found on you car.

Best!

Jess

jess7 01-24-2012 12:41 PM

Hi sjacoby112,

The weather got warmer in the past few days, therefore my car is being starting fine every day so far. I haven't had the need to heat up the ecu.
I still wonder if you already fix your car.

Jess

sjacoby112 02-02-2012 07:26 PM

yeah its been warmer here as well, but it actually started working fine after the mechanic took out the ecu and cleaned all the connectors and made sure there was no moisture in them. not sure if thats what it was for sure but its working now.

dr.cook 02-04-2012 01:51 AM

if all it takes is a little warmth to get her going, maybe some foam insulation would work, just thinking out of the box lads ;)

jess7 02-06-2012 07:22 PM

thanks for your input dr. cook. I actually removed the ecu from the car and took inside the house on a call morning, brought it up to room temperature, put back on the car and the engine still did not start. This make be believe that there is something else that is being affected the the the cold temp.--usually around 35 degrees f. or below. I removed the ignition switch cover to have access to the electrical part of the switch and checked
the five wires for voltage readings present when the car starts fine to later compare when the car does not start.
by the way, for those who are having problems very much the same as this one, i do know there is no need to crank the engine to see if the car is going to start. All you have to do is cycle the ignition switch on and off until you hear the fuel pump make a buzzing sound that is really noticeable when the dr. side door is open---you will hear the buzzing sound coming from under the car. With the dr. side door close, the buzzing of the fuel pump is very hard to hear. Since this is an intemittent problem and the weather has gotten warmer where i live, I will be very upset to take the car to the shop and have them call me to tell me they haven't been able to duplicate it enough to trace the problem and charge me for it.

I emphasize that there is no need to crank the engine because this puts a lot of stress on the battery thus reducing greatly its life.

Hopefully Walker1277 reads this thread and can give us a list of all the parts he replaced since he hasn't had the same problem again for a long time.

I have a good feeling that one of the parts Walker1277 replaced on his car fixed the problem.

NDwyer330xi 02-08-2012 11:12 AM

Cold Morning No Start

I'm having the same intermittent problems on my 2004 330xi with a brand new battery. Some mornings before I even step out of the door I know whether or not my car will start. I've found that if you just jump it with a jumper pack or another vehicles battery it'll start right up lickety split. I'm not sure what the problem is myself, but I'm starting to lean towards a defective starter. But before I endure that painful 6 hour task, I'm hoping somebody can save the day with a definite fix.

AlaskaBMW 02-08-2012 01:29 PM

If it turns over but wont start until you jump it then it may well be a voltage related problem. All the computers and electronics are really finicky in newer cars. The reduced power coming from a colder battery may be messing with the ECU in some way, although there would have to be some other underlying problem.

I don't know if BMWs are different, but every car I know of that has a computer chip in the key doesn't prevent the fuel pump from turning on. It will turn off the car after like 5 seconds after you start it, otherwise the delay for time it takes the computer to try to recognize the key when you try to start the car would be really annoying.

Also if the engine is turning over and not starting it is really unlikely to be a bad starter. Especially as everyone else is saying that the fuel pump isn't turning on.

NDwyer330xi 02-09-2012 06:19 AM

I had that same assumption, but 1 out of 10 times when the car starts affter connecting jumper cables to it (much like this morning since we got snow last night) as soon as the car kicks over the starter seems to screetch as it turns over, but it goes away immediately. And I also noticed that every time after I jump the car and it starts, the DSC light comes on along with the BRAKE light and the ABS light, but immediately extinguish as soon as I drive past 10 mph. It cant be a Cold Cranking Amp problem with my battery because stock, the car requires somewhere around 700, and the current battery I just put in is pushing over 900.

AlaskaBMW 02-09-2012 06:49 AM

A few years ago I had a car that anytime the temperature dropped below freezing at all it wouldn't start. The problem was a little different because the starter wouldn't turn over in my case, but the reason was that there was a little bit of water where it wasn't supposed to be and when it froze it was freezing the starter in place.

If you guys have a little bit of water on one of your electrical connections somewhere, the expansion when it freezes may be enough to break the circuit.

With the problem only occurring right around the freezing point I would say that there is a pretty good chance water is involved somehow.

I was always taught that when diagnosing a car, start with the cheapest solutions first and see if they work. Maybe try putting a few bottles of heat in the gas tank, drive the car for a bit, and see if the problem is fixed. If it's not then you're only out like $5.

widgit 04-10-2012 10:18 PM

Common Problems with the 325i (2003)

Right now, I drive a Saab...thinking of switching.....

I am considering 2 different 325i's. I have been trying to find out if this particular year has major problems.

It sounds like starting is one of the problems................
Are there any other things I should look out for???

jonathan2263 04-11-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by widgit (Post 6763200)
Right now, I drive a Saab...thinking of switching.....

I am considering 2 different 325i's. I have been trying to find out if this particular year has major problems.

It sounds like starting is one of the problems................
Are there any other things I should look out for???

Read the WIKI linked at the top of the page. Everything you seek is contained in its hallowed pages.

Whiskas 01-27-2013 04:43 AM

I'm having the same issues with my car, won't start in minus temperatures straight away, I have to wait a long time turning ignition on and off until I eventually hear the buzz of what I assume is the fuel pump until it will finally start, did your issue ever get resolved?

mujjuman 01-27-2013 05:11 AM

Dont get angry at the people in the shop. Get mad at Bmw for making such a ****ty car.

Whiskas 01-27-2013 05:26 AM

That's helpful, thanks

scarede46er 01-27-2013 07:14 AM

I know you guys have replaced the fuel pump. But as it is an issue with the fuel pump not priming during cold weather, have you considered the fuel pump relay? They do wear out and can be replaced easily behind the glove compartment. Assuming you dont live in NY, simply switch out the horn relay with the fuel pump one.