Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Bicycle rack (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511308)

jkjjpc 01-09-2011 05:20 AM

Bicycle rack
 
We have an 08 X5 and are considering a new X3. We have the BMW bike carrier for the X5 that fits into the holes in the bumper (not into hitch mount).
I have not been able to find any information on whether this carrier will also fit into the X3 bumper holes. Anyone have any information?

jkjjpc 02-27-2011 04:43 PM

We took delivery our new X3 28 yesterday and today I answered my own question from the prior post about whether the X5 bicycle carrier that fits into the tow slots on the back bumper would also fit the X3. The answer is "NO" since the tow slots on the X5 are spaced much wider than those on the X3, which is interesting considering that the new X3 is not that much narrower than the X5.

So, anyway, we're back to looking at options for carrying bicycles. We have a Thule hitch mount carrier that we could use, but so far there does not seem to be a trailer hitch for the new X3. Anyone have any updates on that?

I also see the roof mounted options. We had our new X3 equipped with the optional roof rails in case we need to go with a roof mount. Anyone have any experience with either the BMW bicycle lift or the BMW mountain bike mount? We would need to carry three bicycles, two adult and one kids for our 8 year old son.

John

PS - Our X3 38 is Jet Black with black leather interior. We optioned it with Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Convenience, satellite radio, premium sound, and the roof rails. MSRP was $48,750. We paid $500 over invoice plus the MACO/training fees. We thought that was a good deal on such a new car. So far we love the new car. It replaced an 08 X5 and we're really enjoying the upgraded interior (we also have an 11 528i, so most of the interior is very similar) and tech features over the X5, but most importantly we're enjoying the much quieter and smoother ride. The steering is a bit light in the X3, but we're OK with that since we drive mainly in the city. The interior space outside the cargo area feels very similar to the X5 and the car feels much more responsive even though is has 20 fewer HP (I guess losing almost 1000 lbs makes a big difference).

alanintx 02-27-2011 09:09 PM

So, far I am using my Saris Bones 3 mounted on the rear lid of my X3 to carry my bikes. This works just fine, but I am hoping for a better solution. The roof mount will cost another app. $200US for the cross bars and then the cost of the Yakima/Thule bike mounts. I don't care for this idea, as I'll need a ladder to get the bikes up there. I've heard a BMW trailer hitch will cost about $1300US, so I am not crazy about that idea either. Perhaps BMW will come out with a similar bumper mount as they had on the X5?

drtdvl 02-27-2011 09:22 PM

I ordered the 40:20:40 rear seat option in order to carry at least two bikes in the back. The advertisements I have seen show the X3 able to carry three bikes and three people so I am curious if this is possible.

What I actually think will happen is I will have to spend the money for the hitch and haul the bikes off the hitch. I understand from the dealer that the hitch will be available March or April.

spokelizard 02-28-2011 10:34 AM

I'm curious, is there an interior bike rack accessory for the new X3? I have one for my '07 X3 and I've been pleased with it.

radmanzulu 03-10-2011 08:29 AM

Interior Bike Rack Mount
 
Dealer claimed yesterday that one would become available soon. Still looking for a hitch though.

swood02 03-10-2011 02:45 PM

My dealer told me a hitch would be available in April. No price mentioned.

Evlengr 03-10-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjjpc (Post 5880458)
We took delivery our new X3 28 yesterday and today I answered my own question from the prior post about whether the X5 bicycle carrier that fits into the tow slots on the back bumper would also fit the X3. The answer is "NO" since the tow slots on the X5 are spaced much wider than those on the X3, which is interesting considering that the new X3 is not that much narrower than the X5.

So, anyway, we're back to looking at options for carrying bicycles. We have a Thule hitch mount carrier that we could use, but so far there does not seem to be a trailer hitch for the new X3. Anyone have any updates on that?

I also see the roof mounted options. We had our new X3 equipped with the optional roof rails in case we need to go with a roof mount. Anyone have any experience with either the BMW bicycle lift or the BMW mountain bike mount? We would need to carry three bicycles, two adult and one kids for our 8 year old son.

John

PS - Our X3 38 is Jet Black with black leather interior. We optioned it with Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Convenience, satellite radio, premium sound, and the roof rails. MSRP was $48,750. We paid $500 over invoice plus the MACO/training fees. We thought that was a good deal on such a new car. So far we love the new car. It replaced an 08 X5 and we're really enjoying the upgraded interior (we also have an 11 528i, so most of the interior is very similar) and tech features over the X5, but most importantly we're enjoying the much quieter and smoother ride. The steering is a bit light in the X3, but we're OK with that since we drive mainly in the city. The interior space outside the cargo area feels very similar to the X5 and the car feels much more responsive even though is has 20 fewer HP (I guess losing almost 1000 lbs makes a big difference).


Who did you get it from? I have been dealing with Passport and Russell. I tried once with VOB and walked out after 5 minutes with one sales goof.

jkjjpc 03-11-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 5909394)
Who did you get it from? I have been dealing with Passport and Russell. I tried once with VOB and walked out after 5 minutes with one sales goof.

We bought the car from VOB. This is the 5th BMW have leased/bought from them in the past 5 years, so we have developed a relationship that allows us to get their best price without any real negotiation. I don't know how willing they are to sell for this price to others. We also give them high marks on the customer service survey, and from what I have heard that is more important to compensation of the salesperson and sales manager than the price over invoice.

AzNMpower32 03-11-2011 08:35 PM

I'm looking at the current accessory list for the F25. I get the impression that this iteration of the X3 is less "Activity" oriented and more "urban" oriented. There isn't the reversible cargo floor that clips into the cargo net, there isn't an interior bike rack, and overall the trunk space isn't that much bigger. I feel that the E83 had more equipment carrying accessories.

You know BMW electrics are getting finicky when BMW offers a 99 battery recharger and a jumper cable set. :rolleyes: And for the techies, there is a wireless headphone set with the rear DVD system.

Lotus7 03-13-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radmanzulu (Post 5907520)
Dealer claimed yesterday that one would become available soon. Still looking for a hitch though.

Execuhitch is supposed to be working on a hidden design similar to the European BMW hitch. Their hitches for other vehicles are in the range of $700 to $900. They make both manual and electrically released hitches.

http://www.execuhitch.com/

I've inquired about the X3 hitch, and I suspect that they will get something in production sooner if they get a lot of inquiries (send them an email asking about a X3 hitch).

gratulin 03-14-2011 11:11 PM

Will bikes fit inside?
 
Hi,

I realise this thread is really focussed on external options. However, has anyone tried to load a mountain bike INSIDE the new X3? I am interested in whether or not a MTB will fit either upright or lying down and whether or not you need to remove the wheels when lying it down?

thanks.

fl_cyclist 03-22-2011 08:06 AM

I am easily able to fit my road bike in my X3 by putting down one seat and taking off the front wheel. Let's me transport the bike and at least one person in the back. Could probably fit two but because I have to lean the bike it might be a problem for the guy in the middle seat.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms