Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Clicking Noise when I brake or Accelerate (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513583)

dirt_monkii 01-18-2011 03:56 PM

Clicking Noise when I brake or Accelerate
 
I drive a 3 series, E46 2002/03. When I am stuck in a stop/start traffic, i hear a clicking noise on the passenger side's front wheel when i brake. Similarly, when i accelerate, I get the same clicking noise front the front passenger side as well as the back passenger wheel.

The click is only once though. For example, if i was to brake, i will hear the click, and if i take my foot off the brake and then brake again (without touching the accelerator), i wont hear the click again.

Any ideas what this could be?

gordo325xiwagon 01-18-2011 07:31 PM

Check your brake pads and the caliper pins. Everything "floats" and if they are sticking, you'll hear a clicking sound. The fix is to loosen then up so they slide. If you pull off the wheels, and begin to remove the calipers and pads, you'll see how they are installed and you'll probably be able to feel the sticking and hear the clicking. gordo

marinekilz 01-18-2011 09:51 PM

Does the car pull at all at highway speeds when you just barely apply pressure to the brakes?

dirt_monkii 01-19-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinekilz (Post 5782307)
Does the car pull at all at highway speeds when you just barely apply pressure to the brakes?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean mate. The faster I go, the less fainter the clicking noise is obviously. The brakes seem to be working fine if I'm honest, the car doesn't feel heavy when i apply the brakes or anything, even at highway speeds. The click comes when pressing the brakes at halfway point.


Quote:

Originally Posted by gordo325xiwagon (Post 5781998)
Check your brake pads and the caliper pins. Everything "floats" and if they are sticking, you'll hear a clicking sound. The fix is to loosen then up so they slide. If you pull off the wheels, and begin to remove the calipers and pads, you'll see how they are installed and you'll probably be able to feel the sticking and hear the clicking. gordo

Thanks mate, will try this at the weekend and get back to you if it does or doesn't work.

zQUEz 01-19-2011 04:41 AM

What marinekilz means is, when at highway speeds, if you touch lightly on the brakes, does it pull to one side or the other? If it pulls to the right, then the right side is likely grabbing earlier than the left and should be where you start.

marinekilz 01-19-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zQUEz (Post 5782697)
What marinekilz means is, when at highway speeds, if you touch lightly on the brakes, does it pull to one side or the other? If it pulls to the right, then the right side is likely grabbing earlier than the left and should be where you start.

well correct, I was thinking thrust rod bushings being worn causing the noise. but checking for a sticking caliper or something in the brake system is also a good direction to go like someone else suggested

dirt_monkii 01-20-2011 02:04 AM

Cheers for clearing that up. It doesnt seem to be pulling any side really. I was on the motorway/highway this morning doing about 80mph and didnt feel anything when i pressed the brake pedal.

mindgames11 01-22-2011 12:34 AM

It might be your fuel economy gauge, I have a similar noise. The faster you accelerate the faster the clicking? Watch the gauge when you change throttle.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms