Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Things you didn't know about your F10/11 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515706)

Titanflux 01-27-2011 01:18 PM

Things you didn't know about your F10/11

As per some other model forums, would be great if you can share on this thread little known secrets, facts or oddities that are not obviously in the manual for the benefit of other drivers or potential buyers.....

Things you like, things that annoy you, etc.

beashonda 01-27-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanflux (Post 5805267)
As per some other model forums, would be great if you can share on this thread little known secrets, facts or oddities that are not obviously in the manual for the benefit of other drivers or potential buyers.....

I'm annoyed, that unlike the E60, the heated steering wheel turns off if you turn off the power and turn back on within ~10-15 min , whereas the heated seats stay on. In the E60 they both remained on. I now forget to turn it back on until I realize the wheel isn't hot anymore. Not the worst thing, but annoying.

markl53 01-27-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beashonda (Post 5805511)
I'm annoyed, that unlike the E60, the heated steering wheel turns off if you turn off the power and turn back on within ~10-15 min , whereas the heated seats stay on. In the E60 they both remained on. I now forget to turn it back on until I realize the wheel isn't hot anymore. Not the worst thing, but annoying.

I don't have the heated steering wheel, but I'm wondering, do you usually leave it on the whole time you're driving? For example I turn off my heated seats after 10 minutes or so, after the cabin has warmed up. Point is, I wonder if most people turn off the wheel after a few minutes also, making the "stay on" a moot point. You'd have to turn it on next time anyway.

ihumphrey 01-27-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl53 (Post 5805621)
I don't have the heated steering wheel, but I'm wondering, do you usually leave it on the whole time you're driving? For example I turn off my heated seats after 10 minutes or so, after the cabin has warmed up. Point is, I wonder if most people turn off the wheel after a few minutes also, making the "stay on" a moot point. You'd have to turn it on next time anyway.

I leave it on the whole time. But, I also leave the seats on all the time.

momo_oo[][]oo 01-27-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 5805769)
I leave it on the whole time. But, I also leave the seats on all the time.

Is it that cold in OH

ihumphrey 01-27-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo_oo[][]oo (Post 5805791)
Is it that cold in OH

Mid teens last few days in am...cold enough my friend

GHOST PROTOCOL 01-27-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titanflux (Post 5805267)

The Dot!!!

We do some of us have it? Why do some of us not have it? Why does the manual fail to explain what it is?

beashonda 01-27-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 5805796)

^^:thumbup:

It was 5 one day last week. Yep, I leave them both on. I may turn the seat down a bar or two, but otherwise, it stays on. I LOVE IT! (Heated Steering Wheel)

silver535xi 01-27-2011 05:09 PM

My wife has named the car "joy" because of the advertising campaign. A local dealer has an ad every morning that begs me to put some "joy" in my garage. The northeast weather has kept "joy" in the garage far too much. I really hate that. A month old and less than 500 miles. 15 inches of snow last night. Tomorrow I drive the Toyota to work.

Needsdecaf 01-27-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihumphrey (Post 5805796)

It was 2 degrees on Monday morning this week. Got up to a high of about 19.

I couldn't even leave the seats on low.

EvolutionTheory 01-27-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRMESQ (Post 5805802)
The Dot!!!

We do some of us have it? Why do some of us not have it? Why does the manual fail to explain what it is?

LMAO
Those with the dot are the chosen ones.

Titanflux 01-27-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRMESQ (Post 5805802)
The Dot!!!

I wondered how long it would take for the dreaded dot to resurface. I'm not sure if I am hoping my new F10 has a dot or not. Chosen or unchosen?

06Black550i 01-28-2011 06:23 AM

I appreciate the small glove compartment left of the steering wheel. Don't appreciate the missing compartments above the ashtray.

Needsdecaf 01-28-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06Black550i (Post 5806924)
I appreciate the small glove compartment left of the steering wheel. Don't appreciate the missing compartments above the ashtray.

Yes, the ashtray is useless, and the center console isn't much better. I would love to see some better stowage space in the car. Having said that, the cupholders don't suck nearly as bad as I thought they would, and the storage space to the left of the wheel is very large...although I'm not sure what I'm going to put in there.

Needsdecaf 01-28-2011 06:37 AM

Thing I didn't know but like.....just found the 12v outlet in the trunk. Although I have rarely used the ones in my other cars, it's nice to have.

Rafa 01-28-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 5806956)
Yes, the ashtray is useless, and the center console isn't much better. I would love to see some better stowage space in the car. Having said that, the cupholders don't suck nearly as bad as I thought they would, and the storage space to the left of the wheel is very large...although I'm not sure what I'm going to put in there.

I keep sunglasses, gloves and a small microfiber towel. Just a suggestion.

markl53 01-28-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa (Post 5807334)

+1 for sunglasses. Gloves?? It gets cold in Miami? Maybe they're driving gloves, yeah, that's it. ;) Haven't driven my car since Tuesday due to snow -- don't want to get it dirty unless I have to. I'm getting tired of taking the subway to work though, will probably have to break down next week and drive in.

jeffhoff 01-28-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

I've had my car 4 months and didn't know that compartment was there!!!

But I do have the mysterious DOT :beerchug:

Needsdecaf 01-28-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa (Post 5807334)

I put my sunglasses on and off probably 2-5 times / day. That compartment is quite deep and it was a pain for the first two days to dig around for the glasses. I move them to the door pocket and I'm quite happy now.

Don't worry, I have enough crap..I will figure out something to put in there.

Rafa 01-28-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl53 (Post 5807486)
+1 for sunglasses. Gloves?? It gets cold in Miami? Maybe they're driving gloves, yeah, that's it. ;) Haven't driven my car since Tuesday due to snow -- don't want to get it dirty unless I have to. I'm getting tired of taking the subway to work though, will probably have to break down next week and drive in.

Yes, they are driving gloves that I use only on long trips, for relief from the sun. Which brings me to another feature I like: the F10 glass blocks 100% of UV rays. I do not k ow whether other manufacturers' glass blocks UV rays also, but I like the fact that the F10's do. Great for your eyes, great for the skin.

beashonda 01-28-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

I use it for my sunglasses as well.

Titanflux 01-29-2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafa (Post 5807991)
Yes, they are driving gloves that I use only on long trips, for relief from the sun. Which brings me to another feature I like: the F10 glass blocks 100% of UV rays. I do not k ow whether other manufacturers' glass blocks UV rays also, but I like the fact that the F10's do. Great for your eyes, great for the skin.

I never knew that!

mlai 01-29-2011 06:41 AM

Call me ignorant but........ What is the DOT?

eyesight1 01-29-2011 07:30 AM

Put this in the annoyed category -

I wish the memory seats had an exit mode where by the seat goes backward when the ignition is turned off and then after starting the car again the memory associated with the appropriate key fob returns the seat to the set position. Have the in my Vette and my former Caddy. Very nice feature. It should be a simple firmware fix.

Titanflux 01-29-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlai (Post 5809382)
Call me ignorant but........ What is the DOT?

See http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dot