Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2011 X3 oil level sensor malfunction (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518206)

mencomenx 02-07-2011 02:48 PM

2011 X3 oil level sensor malfunction
 
Hi Bimmers, I just bought my wife a 2011 X3 a month ago, but since then we've been back and forth to the dealer due to Oil level sensor malfunction. At first they said that the car battery does'nt have enough charge. It was ok for a week then we went back for the same problem but they cant diagnose it. so the service manager said that the most logical way to do is to replace the sensor....and so they did. A week after... same problem. I just wanna find out if u guys had the same issue with the new X3?

mencomenx 02-07-2011 04:35 PM

I read on one forum that the malfunction could be from water vapor condensation. it makes sense since it's winter here and we haven't driven the car that much yet.

Evlengr 02-07-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mencomenx (Post 5831456)
Hi Bimmers, I just bought my wife a 2011 X3 a month ago, but since then we've been back and forth to the dealer due to Oil level sensor malfunction. At first they said that the car battery does'nt have enough charge. It was ok for a week then we went back for the same problem but they cant diagnose it. so the service manager said that the most logical way to do is to replace the sensor....and so they did. A week after... same problem. I just wanna find out if u guys had the same issue with the new X3?


Easy answer: Replace vehicle--tell them to replace it or get a lemon lawyer. The dealer pays and not you when they lose. And a decent lemon lawyer will not take the case if they don't think they will win.

Otherwise they will drag this out for months if not years. Trust me there is precedent with not only the X3's but many others models where they stall until you give up.

They shouldn't have to fix a brand new car 4 times.

IpSir 02-10-2011 09:16 PM

I have the same problem too just few days after I pick up the new X3. Bring to the dealer today. And they do some tests. Changed the level sensor. Re-put new engin oil. Problem looks corrected. Will keep my eyes open in the next coupon of days.

mencomenx 02-11-2011 08:19 AM

hi. they change the oil level sensor on mine too but did not replace the oil . it came on again once last week but it's been alright since then.

LMC 02-11-2011 12:17 PM

I wonder what the failure rate was on oil level dipsticks back in the old days?

moonshine 02-14-2011 03:57 PM

Have less than 600 miles and I have the same problem. Oil sensor malfunction light. Called to make a service appointment and they told me to just check the manual to reset ... driving it again this weekend, and will bring it in next week.

mencomenx 02-14-2011 04:05 PM

@moonshine. Did it fix the problem?

Evlengr 02-14-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshine (Post 5848434)
Have less than 600 miles and I have the same problem. Oil sensor malfunction light. Called to make a service appointment and they told me to just check the manual to reset ... driving it again this weekend, and will bring it in next week.


Got the run around this morning with a service issue until I reminded the dealer the last time this happened I got a lawyer and a new car.

What is with the BMW service lately? They seem to be getting worse.

UncleJ 02-15-2011 09:45 AM

LMC, I suspect the failure rate for dipsticks was about .0001% and that one was caused by someone pulling the tube out of the block.:rofl:

LMC 02-15-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 5849760)
LMC, I suspect the failure rate for dipsticks was about .0001% and that one was caused by someone pulling the tube out of the block.:rofl:

Agree.

Perhaps another part of the equation is the desire on the part of the mfr to make the car idiot-proof for the owners who don't know what oil is, don't know what a dipstick is and don't care anyway. :dunno: Two words for those people: Mass transit. :tsk:

Evlengr 02-15-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMC (Post 5849925)
Agree.

Perhaps another part of the equation is the desire on the part of the mfr to make the car idiot-proof for the owners who don't know what oil is, don't know what a dipstick is and don't care anyway. :dunno: Two words for those people: Mass transit. :tsk:

There seems to be two types of BMW drivers: Those that can and those that are clueless. Most of us are here because we can or at least try.

The other idiots we only see at the service bays.

mujjuman 02-15-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 5851151)
There seems to be two types of BMW drivers: Those that can and those that are clueless. Most of us are here because we can or at least try.

The other idiots we only see at the service bays.

Let's face it. Most BMW owners on the road today are clueless. The ones on here have some knowledge and real appreciation for these fine vehicles.

Bearcat 02-16-2011 07:14 PM

I think the oil level sensors idea is more for girls.

I was reading the Q5 forum and one guy stated in order to check their oil level, he has to turn off the engine for 2-3 min, pop the hood, start the engine...etc. Wouldn't it be much easier and reliable to just use the dipstick?

Evlengr 02-17-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 5853909)
I think the oil level sensors idea is more for girls.

I was reading the Q5 forum and one guy stated in order to check their oil level, he has to turn off the engine for 2-3 min, pop the hood, start the engine...etc. Wouldn't it be much easier and reliable to just use the dipstick?


And cheaper?

moonshine 02-18-2011 09:57 AM

oil level sensor malfunction
 
Checked the manual - there is no reset - but I also checked the oil level. While it is telling me there is an "oil level sensor malfunction," it is able to sense and report the oil level. It does not indicate that there is any problem with that. I am not experiencing any problem with the car, but I will bring it in to have them reset the malfunction warning.

M Power 02-18-2011 10:05 AM

I might pick up a 35i tomorrow and wondering, those who are having this problem, is your car 28 or 35? Is it common problem for X3s or just for a specific model?

mencomenx 02-18-2011 10:34 AM

@ m power. I got the 28.

MarcA78 02-18-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Power (Post 5857528)
I might pick up a 35i tomorrow and wondering, those who are having this problem, is your car 28 or 35? Is it common problem for X3s or just for a specific model?

I wouldn't call it common in either model. I asked my pal who is a master tech at a pretty big SoCal dealership about this. He said that they haven't seen this problem at all yet. So it seems like a pretty small amount if people experiencing this.

moonshine 02-18-2011 03:37 PM

28i

Evlengr 02-18-2011 07:06 PM

When the AT problem surfaced my dealer said it was new and no one else had reported that problem and stuck to it ---- right up to the point where I showed them over 100 complaints about it. Every problem I have had that was their answer. They seem to forget the internet exists and that people talk. Not saying it isn't curable. Just saying aaachooooo (bullsh++++).

Sent from my DROIDX

moonshine 02-20-2011 12:50 PM

update: made sure to rev as high as i could yesterday, did not open cap, no change. malfunction still lit up when I turned off the car. But, surprise - today, no light. Drove 100 miles. No light.
Really just drove the car harder ... nothing else.

altamirano 02-24-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mencomenx (Post 5831456)
Hi Bimmers, I just bought my wife a 2011 X3 a month ago, but since then we've been back and forth to the dealer due to Oil level sensor malfunction. At first they said that the car battery does'nt have enough charge. It was ok for a week then we went back for the same problem but they cant diagnose it. so the service manager said that the most logical way to do is to replace the sensor....and so they did. A week after... same problem. I just wanna find out if u guys had the same issue with the new X3?

Hello:

We purchased a new 2011 X3 less than one month ago (January 2011) and the car has been back to the dealer two times with an "oil sensor malfunction light". The first time they said they replaced the sensor. After driving the car a couple of days the light came back on. Back to the dealer, they kept the car for 8 days the second time stating that they needed a BMW engineer to come and take look at car, after they had the car for eight days they said they took care of problem by blowing it out and removing the oil and then replacing the oil. The car after less than a week has the same problem again. This will be the third and last time I will take the car back for this problem. I am already checking out LEMON LAW attorneys in the area. The car has 1,000 miles on it and I have driven a loaner more than my own car. At this rate I don't think BMW knows how to fix this problem When i went to the dealer and spoke the salesman that sold us the car he stated that ALL the X3's that they have sold have come back with this same problem. I don't know if you have received any different information, but I am not liking what I hear. Good luck to you.

mencomenx 02-24-2011 07:05 PM

hi Altamirano, with our X3, the light came back on once after they replaced the sensor but it's been ok since then. I'll keep u posted. Good luck.

nick776 02-24-2011 07:23 PM

For those of you who have experienced the same issue 3 or more times, the lemon law should apply (it would in Alabama). I am a lawyer and have handled several of these cases. The above post is correct, any lawyer who is marginally experienced in the field will take the case and not charge you a dime because (most) lemon law statutes mandate that the manufacturer has to pay the consumer's attorney's fees.

If it's of any significance, I've never lost a lemon law case. The manufacturer either bought the car back or did what is called a "collateral swap" in each of my cases. Then again, if I think the lemon law claim of a potential client is "iffy," I would never agree to take the case.

Alabama law requires that a certain formal statutory notice must be given by the consumer to the manufacturer as a condition precedent to recovery. Each of you on this board should see if your state has a similar requirement before contacting an attorney (or better yet, have that attorney do it for you).

Good luck, and by the way, I wouldn't let ANY dealer drag out such a problem for more than two or three weeks because a one year statute of limitations applies in most circumstances.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms